Sponsored by:

Little L36 goes 408 - Last check before ordering parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little L36 goes 408 - Last check before ordering parts

Hi there,

I finally was able to find a space to rent to get this project starting. My 1996 (3.8 M5) Firebird will get a little improvement. Now i got 2 main problems:

1. It is absolutly crucial that i get everything i need with one delivery since i live here in switzerland and dont want to pay extra fees or sending parts back to US. So please help me double/triple check on the parts list below.

- TSP 408 Lq9 Shortblock
- TSP Giant Cam (112LSA)
- PRC 237 Heads with dual springkit
- TSP 1-7/8" Long Tube Headers
- FAST 102mm Intake + TB Combo (w/ Fuel Rail kit)
- LS7 lifters kit
- LS1 Radiator
- LS1 K-Member
- LS1 Fuelpump
- LS1 PCM/Harness
- LS1 Coilsprings
- LS1 Breaks
- Moser 9 inch rear
- T-56

Also i got most information to form this list from what i found here from v6 to v8 LS1 swaps threads. Are there any keyparts i should not exchange with LS1 parts for example ( i do not know if that exists) a K-member that better suits the LQ9 as the standart LS1.

And second I NEED this car to work everyday. Now what parts can be changed before the engine swap. For example can i use the LS1 radiator on the 3.8 V6. So i can prepare the car for the engine swap and hopefully can do that in one weekend. I thank you already for all the help and will hopefully purchase my parts soon and give you nice pics of the build

Cheers
X
Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What about gaskets and the front accessory drive parts and bolts, oil pump and etc? Not sure what a short block comes with. Knock sensors?
Are push rods in one of the kits? For the brakes you might or might not need the ls1 style backing plates, maybe a new master cylinder as well (I don't know for sure, just something to think about).
Might want to pick up a new shifter. Do you already have electric fans?
Trying to think of all the little things that came up during my swap.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just off the top of my head, it seems to me that it might be helpful to look at each part you've listed above & think "OK, what will I need to complete that part of the project?" (i.e., T-56 -- clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, hydraulic master cyl, rev. lockout solenoid/switch, pedal switches, shifter, shifter boot, crossmember, mounting bolts, transmission fluid, etc.)

And if you DO manage to get everything in one shot, let us know - and take a picture of the crate that everything arrives in!! Because even for subsections of projects like that, I have NEVER been able to get everything I needed the first time!!

Quick Reply: Little L36 goes 408 - Last check before ordering parts