Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About what gauges to use

Old 03-23-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default About what gauges to use

this might be a dumb question, but is it possible just to buy a used C5 gauge cluster or something and have it plug up to my 5.3?

if not, what gauges can I get without breaking the bank? Need speed, tach, temp, fuel...the basics really.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speedhut gauges
Old 03-23-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I have Autogage 2 1/8" oil/volt/water temp & the stock speedo.
Ebay has some fabulous auctions on the Autogage units, and I was able to 'win' them for less than 1/3 the going price.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gMAG
I have Autogage 2 1/8" oil/volt/water temp & the stock speedo.
Ebay has some fabulous auctions on the Autogage units, and I was able to 'win' them for less than 1/3 the going price.
How do I know what is compatible with my 5.3? Maybe a dumb question but I am new to this LS swap thing
Old 03-23-2012, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by superdave84
How do I know what is compatible with my 5.3? Maybe a dumb question but I am new to this LS swap thing
Dave,
The three I mentioned are mechanical gauges, and can be used with any engine. If you choose mechanical gauges, there will be some drilling and installation of the sensor (for water temp), or drilling and install of an oil line. The voltage, or charging gauge will require you to hook wiring up to the 12v electrical system. The gauges I bought (2 1/8), run independently of your computer and are usually installed just below the dash in a metal support.
The alternative to mechanical gauges would be the electronic gauges which are compatible with your computer & engine wiring. Wiring outputs from the computer control these gauges.
Electronic or manual, if you prefer gauges mounted into existing holes in your dash, then measure the holes and order that diameter.
Either way, you can find them on Ebay, or Summit or Jegs, or through sponsors here.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Newvintageusa gauges are the best gauges I've ever seen. I have the 68 series in my car. So awesome.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cheapest option is to take the gauge senders off the old motor and adapt them to your 5.3. With the exception of the speedo it is typically not hard to do. That allows you to keep the stock gauges.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

^^^I like this.
If you'll be drilling & using fittings (such as for the mechanical gauges), you might as well go this route.
I'm sure you'll find someone who has already done this, and you can correspond with them to discover the install methods & parts.
Good luck!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

I like the idea too, but alas, I do not have the old motor. I really don't care for the original, gigantic rectangular speedo in the 65 Impala anyway. Now I just have to find which new ones to buy. Thanks everyone
Old 03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by superdave84
I like the idea too, but alas, I do not have the old motor. I really don't care for the original, gigantic rectangular speedo in the 65 Impala anyway. Now I just have to find which new ones to buy. Thanks everyone
I seem to recall that you mentioned the type of car you have, but I can't remember what it is.
You might try another thread in this "Conversions" section, and ask what others have done for gauges with your model car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About what gauges to use