New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech - what the hell?

View Full Version : what the hell?

ls1 down under
03-24-2012, 03:29 PM
I noticed in my coolant there are lots of tiny black coloured plastic bits floating in it. They appear to look like flaked off paint? When I pick one up it feels like lightweight, thin, shiny plastic paper. I have mls head gaskets and a new water pump was fitted only weeks ago.

Anyone else had this before? What is it?

usafws6
03-24-2012, 03:48 PM
flush all the coolant out and see if it continues. could be from the old head gaskets if they didnt scrape the deck surface good enough or some just got into the coolant passages. shouldnt be any reason to worry

HumanNipple
04-05-2012, 01:25 AM
I noticed in my coolant there are lots of tiny black coloured plastic bits floating in it. They appear to look like flaked off paint? When I pick one up it feels like lightweight, thin, shiny plastic paper. I have mls head gaskets and a new water pump was fitted only weeks ago.

Anyone else had this before? What is it?

those are most likely pieces of old radiator hoses. They dry rot and start losing pieces of themselves in your cooling system. Check your hoses, my bike had a dry rotted hose that lost pieces just like you described. Flush your radiator, if that doesn't work do a full system flush. The flush of my system solved the problem.

01ssreda4
04-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Motor is done. Put a 408 in there :nod: