Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-Pipe: Optimal Characteristics/Dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default H-Pipe: Optimal Characteristics/Dimensions

We've talked in great depth concerning max flow in Y-pipes and X-pipes but not much has been said about H-pipes.

I jus' had my true dual h-pipe fab'd up and I'm not confident the way he fab'd it would maximize flow velocity. The connecting pipe was welded in where the piping coming from the headers begin to transition into two parallel pipes. Also, he used a blow torch to open up holes in the pipes which leaves much to be desired.

So:
- Should the connecting pipe only be placed in a location where pipes are running parallel to maximize flow?

- What would be the optimal length (not to short/not to long) of this connecting pipe?

- What location would be best to install the H-pipe? Closer to the headers or more in the middle of the exhaust system?

Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any insight on this matter?
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, you want to find the "hot spot" down stream from the collectors. You can spray some el cheapo paint on the pipe and where it burns off is the spot for the connecting pipe. Sometimes there is no room to do this so put as close as you can or just where possible. The hot spot is optimum but, not a deal breaker if you can't. I'm open for corrections if this isn't right.

Also, never heard of an ideal length of an h pipe and I don't think the pipe "flows" the exhaust. It balances the gas and sound pulses so the actual exhaust system can flow better and sound quietens and smooths out. Hope this helps.

Last edited by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird; 03-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.