Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Can the 10 bolt be saved?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the 10 bolt be saved?????

I may be beating a dead horse with this one and i am also not exactly an expert to dont just sit there and burn me. here goes.

i am building a third gen and am at the point of doing the rear end and i know us third gen guys face the same problems as the 4th gen guys cause the 10 bolts are just too weak. I know you can just do the 12 bolts danas and 9"s but i thought before spending that kind of money i would just throw this out and see what people thought.

The weak point of the our 10 bolts is the ring and pinion, they are just too small and they break. So i'll start with a question. How are the gears made? are they cast material.. Forged...? My main question can the weak point of the 10 bolts (the gears) be strengthened by using stronger steals or by making them billet or some crazy thing i havent heard of ??????????? (except the whole cryo thing, that always seemed sketchy to me)

I thank anyone for their input as long as its not **** talkin
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

I am unsure but I do know if it was cheaper/possible everyone would be doing it!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

The weak areas of the 10 bolt include everything in between the left axle flange to the right axle flange, and from the pinion seal back to the rear of the ring gear. I've never heard of a diff cover or diff cover bolt failure that wasn't caused by internal parts exiting through it.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your physically limited by the size of the housing which dictates everything else. Also to mention as you go up numerically in gear ratio, the contact patch for the teeth gets less and less. 4.11's on these look scary compared to something like a larger 12 bolt / 8.8 / 9" setup.

Automatics do not shock the rear as bad so in most cases you can get by, but as soon as you start cutting quicker then 1.7x on the 60 foot and the car is near stock weight, the rear will start howling.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Ok well i guess something to mention is that i am building this as a trackday car for the road course. so im not to worried about launches and 60ft times and such. My power numbers arent extremely high but i know they are pushing it close to its limits. What i really want to know is if something like a billet or forged or chromoly ring and pinion set is possible for these rear ends and if it would help hold it together??????
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rearends tend to break due to the amount of "Force" applied from a stationary position. I see many people road race 10 bolts. I would post this in the other track racing forum as you may get more answers from those who race at road tracks and parking lots.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would get different axles so ypu can have c clip elimators. To me buy a used rear end 9 inch and dont worry about it.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Just trying to see if i can keep what i got and not have to deal with putting in something else
Old 03-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Teching In

again any info on the possibility of a stronger gear set would be greatly appreciated if its not possible or wouldnt help then consider the thread DEAD
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

The gears wont get stronger. How much horse power are you going to have and what gear?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

This guy has an interesting idea and claims it has held up. He's a third gen owner as well...

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tr...f-10-bolt.html
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as your not shock loading it, you will be fine. Remember, the smaller the rear, The less power it takes to turn. Road racing, you should be fine, as long as You keep the tires planted and don't shock it coming out of a turn.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Thank you macs98z thats very helpful
Old 03-27-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fsqgoat
Thank you macs98z thats very helpful
No problem. Looking over the thread last night, I noticed some things about the build that aren't readily apparent. I did a little searching on the guy's profile and found he is running a 2.73 gear (not just a gear from a 2 series carrier) in the rear. He is running a T5, which I believe has a deeper first gear, so he can get away with it. If you have an M6, however, this may change things for you. I have 3.23s in an M6, and it's really too tall of a gear. I don't know how much it would hurt strength if you tried running a 2 series carrier and getting something like a 3.42 or 3.73 gearset. Obviously, it wouldn't be as strong as the 2.73, but the guy's putting 460 hp to the wheel and hasn't had issues yet, so I feel there is some room for weakening up his build a little for the sake of a more useable gear.

Still, in my opinion it is a gamble. The 7.5 ring gear is just too small. I thought about doing this, but if you think about it, by the time you do all the work and spend the money building the 10 bolt, you could be halfway to buying a good used 9 inch or 12 bolt, or even buying a new Quick Performance 9" housing/axle package and building your own center section. If you do happen to break the 10 bolt you built, you're out all that money. I work too hard for my money to take a chance like that.

Quick Reply: Can the 10 bolt be saved?????