Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on push rods with Trick Flows -vs- GM 243 heads

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on push rods with Trick Flows -vs- GM 243 heads

I recently purchased a new set of Trick Flow 215's for my 03 Vette (stock CID) when I was told that the "new" heads I had on for 54 passes had bad valve guides. Today the mfg of the "other" heads (don't ask the name yet) said that the geometry was way off and that caused the damage, siting the wear pattern on the valve stems. Yet the shop that did the cam, head, rear, converter, intake....and so on and so on..said that the pushrods had to be replaced for both geomety and strength reasons when he put the heads on, which he did. I am now told that with the Trick Flows and roller rockers, the pushrods need again to be replaced. I don't have to much concern with this statement as the valve angle is different from the GM 243 casting, but has anybody else seen this type of thing happen to them? I'm not condemning anybody here but I just want to know if others have had the same pushrod issues, because I don't want another fiasco with heads again.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see wrong pushrods causing a wierd wear on the valves with roller rockers, but as long as the pushrod length is correct on stock rockers it shouldn't really cause any damage.

But with the trickflow heads it's probably a pretty good chance that the pushrods may not be the correct length.

I'm not sure though so don't take my word for it
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red98C5
I recently purchased a new set of Trick Flow 215's for my 03 Vette (stock CID) when I was told that the "new" heads I had on for 54 passes had bad valve guides. Today the mfg of the "other" heads (don't ask the name yet) said that the geometry was way off and that caused the damage, siting the wear pattern on the valve stems. Yet the shop that did the cam, head, rear, converter, intake....and so on and so on..said that the pushrods had to be replaced for both geomety and strength reasons when he put the heads on, which he did. I am now told that with the Trick Flows and roller rockers, the pushrods need again to be replaced. I don't have to much concern with this statement as the valve angle is different from the GM 243 casting, but has anybody else seen this type of thing happen to them? I'm not condemning anybody here but I just want to know if others have had the same pushrod issues, because I don't want another fiasco with heads again.
I can not speak for the other company but with our heads you will need 7.500" pushrods and you will need roller rockers. We suggest either the Harland Sharp or the Yella Terra rockers.

Quick Reply: Question on push rods with Trick Flows -vs- GM 243 heads