Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ls1 a4 172k tune up

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ls1 a4 172k tune up

Just wondering what coils wires and plugs work well on these cars as this is my first venture into this field. Future mods will include LT'S, ORY, or kooks TD'S, not sure at this point, looking to do several upgrades and this car will be a project and learning experience for me.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

I have stock coils, ngk plugs and Msd 8.5 wires. No problems with any of em
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

I looked up the msd coils and they list around 650, didn't want to drop that kind of cash unless it will help in the long run

Ses light is on also, Autozone pulled codes bank 1 lean and knock sensor on bank 1 throwing a code. Any ideas on that?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Bank 1 lean is Probably bad o2 sensor. Knock sensor code could be a bad sensor or harness. I suggest replacing both sensors and harness while your in there so you don't have to pull the intake more than once.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not spend my money on coils unless you have to replace a stock one because it is faulty, in which case I'd go and get a 2nd hand factory one. The MSD coils work fine but $650 is a lot of coin, they are a vanity piece IMO, factory coils work well. I used NGK TR5s gapped myself, and autozone wires the last time I did a tune up. The autozone wires were nice pieces for the price, there are probably wires as in a different box(with a performance name on it) for twice the price, in fact I know they are .

If you have 172K on it, I'm sure there are other things that you could put the $650 into, like new shocks if the factory Decabons are still there. That would be a nice performance upgrade in both ride and handling. Also go over things like tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings,wheel bearings and check them all out if you just recently got this car. At that mileage alot of those things start to get worn and are in need of replacing, not expensive parts really, but some work to check them all out, and replace what is necessary. Also those parts are what keep you safe, I'd go over all of those before I spent any money on performance upgrades.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the coils are working, don't bother replacing them. MSD wires might be a nice touch, if the originals are still on there.