LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

P0601 - 2006 Monte Carlo SS

Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0601 - 2006 Monte Carlo SS

I have run into an issue with our 2006 Monte Carlo SS. We were driving the car, and it just died while in traffic. While fighting to get the car off the road, and not kill anyone nor myself, I noticed it said Service Throttle. So I assumed, well hell, is it the throttle body, possibly a sensor? The car would also not start. I just sat there thinking, wtf. Finally after a couple minutes, the car fired up. The car also threw a CEL however, I did not have a code reader on me.

So I managed to get her home, and put her in the Garage, after it shut off about 2 more times.

Now I finally bought a Code Reader, and the car threw a P0601, which from what I am reading about, is a failed PCM. I look online for a replacement, and cant find for the life of me, anything to do with a PCM for this car. I find an ECM, but i have always been under the assumption, they were 2 totally different Modules.

I was wondering, if anyone on here has had this issue, or know what I can do to remedy this issue. Car is out of warranty. Car is also stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gabriel
Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ECM and PCM are the same thing, PCM (power train control module) would control an automatic trans, and engine CM just does the engine

The '06 cars have a different PCM then the 07 up's E67, I can't remember the model number but it's E4 something
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

someone correct me if I am wrong but ECM/PCM is the same, its the TCM and BCM that are different.

EDIT: what he said^
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ecm. Electronic control module or engine control module
Pcm. Powertrain control module
Tcm. Transmission control module
Bcm. Body control module

Ecm and pcm used to be interchangeable when you only had one computer in a car. Now days with the newest computers in cars they can be individual computer.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 AM

I had the same issue last summer in my 2006 Monte SS. At first, it would happen weeks apart, and it didn't matter if you were sitting in traffic or flying down the highway, the car would just shut down. After a few minutes, it would start back up. My reader said it was an "internal parity error". It got worse over time, and finally it killed about 8 times as I was trying to limp home one day. I bought a "rebuilt" PCM online (don't remember the site, I'm at work). It was about $400 and after installing it I had to have the crankcase angle sensor recalibrated at a local shop ($40). But it's been fine ever since. Knock on wood. I'm sorry for your problems but I was beginning to think I was the only person to ever have this problem because I never got any responses on other forums.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

for our cars, there's an E40 model ECM module for the engine, and a T42 model TCM module for the transmission...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-23-2021, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 94ss06gxp
someone correct me if I am wrong but ECM/PCM is the same, its the TCM and BCM that are different.

EDIT: what he said^
The TCM and BCM are different. The TCM controls your automatic transmission.
The BCM works with the ECU/ECM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0601 - 2006 Monte Carlo SS