Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy

hello all, this is my first ls1, its an 01 trans am 6 speed, bought it from the dealer with 94k miles at $7500, only problem is it has the piston slap (suprised im sure). just posting to say hi, any free mods would be cool, got a k&n intake for $80 from the previous owner, new plugs and wires, new thermostat.

Any suggestions to quite the slap down i hear seafoam cleaner in the brake booster line can help somtimes, it runs 100% amazing though.

Also looking for an exhaust, any suggestions

upgrading the speakers this weekend.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

SEARCH will be your best friend here.

Use a lower weight oil like a 5W-30. Synthetic of course. A good filter, Mobil One extended, K&N, Wix, etc. NEVER a Fram!

I've NEVER heard of putting seafoam in the booster line. If it does anything, it'll be temporary. Some piston slap is considered "normal" with these engines so long as it goes away after the engine starts to warm up and the oil flows more freely.

I'm very happy with my Magnaflow cat-back exhaust.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

That 'slap' has been with me since mile #1. Almost 30,000 miles later and it is still there. Not a pleasant sound at times but the 'nature of the beast'. I've switched from 10w 30 to 5w 30 with no difference. GM filters and Wix filters. Nothing changes it.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know its nature of the beast, but i think it was called top engine cleaning with the seafoam, i heard sometimes the carbon buildup can make it louder. It almost completely goes away when warm, still there but only if your listening for it. is that normal? probably going with magnaflow dont want a raspy in your face loud just a hey that sounds nice

Quick Reply: new guy