View Full Version : Ls1 overhaul

frank-villarreal
03-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I am thinking of overhauling my ls1 engine. It currently has 135000 miles and it has an oil leak that seams to be coming out of the oil pan. I was even thinking of making it a 6.0. I want to use this for week end drives i am not very much into racing but I would really like to have some horsepower. I was just wondering that when overhauling the engine what kind of questions I should ask to the guy thats going to do it? What kind of modifications should I do if the engine is already out? What does an overhaul consist of? What kind of money should I be expecting to spend? Sorry this is the first overhaul I am going to do. I am just trying to get as much information as possible so I can get a good job done thank you all for your info and advice greatly appreciated

redtan
03-27-2012, 10:25 AM
An overhaul can be as simple as changing the spark plugs/wires to a complete engine rebuild. So anywhere from $50 to $5000. Depends on what's wrong with your engine and what you want to do. I wouldn't do a complete rehaul just because you have an oilpan leak, that could easily be fixed/replaced.

Also, you are not making a 6.0 out of your engine without big $$$ on new sleeves. If you want a 6.0, then you need to get a 6.0 block.

SaberD
03-30-2012, 11:21 AM
135k is nothing on an ls1. fix the leak and ream on it.

TransamGCS
03-31-2012, 06:59 PM
I am thinking of overhauling my ls1 engine. It currently has 135000 miles and it has an oil leak that seams to be coming out of the oil pan. I was even thinking of making it a 6.0. I want to use this for week end drives i am not very much into racing but I would really like to have some horsepower. I was just wondering that when overhauling the engine what kind of questions I should ask to the guy thats going to do it? What kind of modifications should I do if the engine is already out? What does an overhaul consist of? What kind of money should I be expecting to spend? Sorry this is the first overhaul I am going to do. I am just trying to get as much information as possible so I can get a good job done thank you all for your info and advice greatly appreciated

135k isn't bad for ls1, to get the oil pan fixed will probably cost between 600-800. it is not cost efficient to bore a ls1 to a 6.0. cheaper to just buy a block. your better two option is to take your ls1 and have a 383 stroker kit put in it, or for probably 500 dollars more get a 408 stroker.what i would do is work on getting a cam, heads and other upgrades such as intake and exhaust and drive it till the engine goes, then you can use those same parts for 383 or 408. now trying to answer some of your questions if you where going to over haul your ls1 typically a complete overhaul would include honing the block, new rotating assembly which would be new crank, piston rods, pistons. seals, timing chain oil pump. the cost to do this can vary on what kind of rotating assembly you go with just a wild ass guess i would say anywhere from 3000 to 5000

sc99transam
04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
^^^^ well put

gs462
04-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Save yourself some time and alot of money, start with one of these and get a 408 kit for it you'll be better off.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150105/

frank-villarreal
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys for the input and are there any other additional parts I need to buy for this 408 kit

garygnu
04-01-2012, 11:31 AM
look at TSP for short or long block options.you could find a low mileage 6.0 and install it with some better parts.

gs462
04-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Save yourself some time and alot of money, start with one of these and get a 408 kit for it you'll be better off.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-150105/

Above block with this rotating assembly (GET THE ARP2000 bolts) and bearings and you're good to go.