Paint & Body Work - Duraflex ram air hoods - are they good? Anyone got one?

Vetal
03-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Looking for WS6 hood, I would order from VFN but can't wait so long.
SO I came across Duraflex WS6 hoods, seems everyone now is selling them, and price is very attractive at around $400 + freight.
Are these hoods good? In their video they hit and flex their panels but I'm not sure flexing hood is good thing...

Vetal
03-27-2012, 08:08 PM
Anyone? Before I spent my money on it? :)

Zerokube
03-27-2012, 10:42 PM
eh, havent heard anything good from them really. and i searched and searched about which hood is the best replacement, but its not my car or $

Vetal
03-28-2012, 01:26 AM
BTW, they may be sold under other names, like Extreme Dimensions for example...

93z383
03-28-2012, 02:38 AM
I've heard bad things about the Duraflex hoods but opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. You usually only hear the bad stuff anyway, people who are satisfied usually don't jump online to say so.

There's a lot of good/bad reviews from the ebay seller "hood4sale", but I bought my 2.5" Harwood replica and it's unbelievably good for the money. They cut the cowl to make it fuctional and fiberglassed screens in, the fit is 90% dead on and it needed minimal body work. I got it for under $300 shipped to my door, and you get ebay buyer protection to boot.

check em out on ebay.. I believe they have WS6 hoods, you may have to pay to make it functional but it's well worth it. Otherwise dig in deep cuz WS6 hoods are pricey for a quality one.

93z383
03-28-2012, 02:46 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-WS6-bolton-hood-229-/350550143139?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item519e6ab0a3#ht_500wt_1156

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-SUPERHAWK-hood-/251026240788?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a72547514#ht_500wt_1287

Vetal
03-28-2012, 02:56 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-WS6-bolton-hood-229-/350550143139?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item519e6ab0a3#ht_500wt_1156
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiberglass-98-02-Firebird-Trans-AM-SUPERHAWK-hood-/251026240788?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3a72547514#ht_500wt_1287Looks terrible... No openings, no ridges around "nostrils"...
P.S. yeah I read they can be opened for $30

93z383
03-28-2012, 03:01 AM
Looks damn good to me for the money, what do you mean "ridges?

The general saying is obviously "you get what you pay for" but from seeing an actual Harwood and the one I bought from them, mine is identical, and functional, which harwood doesn't offer.

Ismokem
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
I heard enough bad on the fitment to scare me away. I couldn't wait for vfn either I came across an original us exotic superhawk hood so I'm pumped about that.

93z383
03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
coooool. ^

just trying to put another option out there... good experience with mine.

Vetal
03-29-2012, 02:10 AM
Too bad they don't put meshes in them; if I have to buy meshes, that's almost Trufiber or VFN price

Cosmos
03-29-2012, 03:12 AM
I've experienced their products first hand. Duraflex is shit. Fits like shit, shaped like shit and is shit quality. Stay away.

93z383
03-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Too bad they don't put meshes in them; if I have to buy meshes, that's almost Trufiber or VFN price

I got meshes in my harwood, they cut the cowl horizontally and fiberglassed 2 screens in. For the price to open it up the screens are included.

LS1TA_956
03-29-2012, 04:04 AM
My friend.bought one and.dosent align to the.car correctly, I would buy trufiber

Vetal
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
I'd buy Trufiber, even without rear meshes (which they don't include with WS6 but include with WS9 for the reason I don't understand), but it weighs whopping 35# :O

93z383
03-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah with all the bad experience with Trufiber floating around honestly I'd stay away. Hood4sale is your best bet as far as the cheaper end hoods go, otherwise there's not much else you can get that will be quality without spending a good amount.

And you have to figure in body work and paint costs too... it add's up to A LOT of dough.

I'll say one last thing about Hood4sale, just because myself and my friend both got great hoods from them for around $300 shipped (he got a ws6 style hood for his Impala SS). They are copies. They take hoods from Harwood, VFN, ect, and make a direct mold to copy them. As shitty as that is, and as much as people are against it, their hoods are going to be the same thing you would get from the other companies.

While I don't agree with this and I think it's shitty, I couldn't argue with getting a $700+ hood for $300, functional. It's far exceeded my expectations and fits almost perfect.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing, like I said I'm just trying to put another option out there for you. Hopefully you get a good hood and don't go bankrupt doing it lol.

bwkmaro
03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
no aftermarket hood is gunna fit great hell even the stock ones fit like shit. you just have to have a true body guy fit it. ive cut and formed alot of fiberglass hoods and other things to make them fit better.

Chaos07
03-29-2012, 05:56 PM
I've got a try fiber hood on my car and the fitment is good since my car is a salvage car and nothing really lines up perfect but it's still very good quality and packaged very well.

Vetal
03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I've got a try fiber hood on my car and the fitment is good since my car is a salvage car and nothing really lines up perfect but it's still very good quality and packaged very well.Did you put it on scales?

93z383
03-29-2012, 06:09 PM
I'll post up some pics of my hood.. maybe it will help.

RikkiTorment
03-30-2012, 03:11 AM
I've heard that VFN makes the best fitment hood other than an OEM hood. You can check them out, it looks like they have one very similar to what you are looking at. It's called: "The Smoothie Q" It's a bit more expensive, but VFN is top quality.

http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/smoothyq.jpg

Vetal
03-30-2012, 03:29 AM
If VFN would not be on such long long long preorder, I would already bought it...

93z383
03-30-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm not bashing VFN but the hood we got from them was a total piece of crap... I just got the body work done on my "hood4sale" knockoff tonight and got it in primer, and it's leaps and bounds above the VFN hood we got last year. I was really dissapointed for the 800 bucks we spent.

One thing that really surprised me on this knockoff hood was how thick the gelcoat is (the most expensive part in finishing the hood). It needed a fair amount of bondo, but FAR less than the VFN hood and the gelcoat was so thick that we were able to sand down the majority of the spots and never came close to burning through. We'll have the color/clear on it by Saturday night.. but so far it's looking really promising.

I know I'm beating it to death but these hoods are so fucking worth it... I hate to see people waste money.

Vetal
03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
93z383, could you give a link? Do they come with meshes? What's the weight?

RevGTO
03-30-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm not bashing VFN but the hood we got from them was a total piece of crap... I just got the body work done on my "hood4sale" knockoff tonight and got it in primer, and it's leaps and bounds above the VFN hood we got last year.I know the typical response on here is to go with VFN for quality; that's why I bought one. I want to add to the caution about them. On mine, the lower left corner was tweaked upwards and no amount of lowering the stops or adjusting the hinges could compensate for it. Ended up selling the car and losing the money I spent on it and more.

93z383
03-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I know we spent the extra money with VFN for the quality.. I've seen many nice hoods from them but ours was just totally FUBAR.. you think your's was bad, our's was like that on every corner no matter how much adjustment we made... moving one end would throw the other end off, the corners were too short and didn't match up, they were warped/flared up, it was all warped out...

Not to mention the insane amount of body work it needed just to look decent after paint, you wouldn't have believed it. The other part that pissed us off to no end was that the hood was supposed to be "bolt on" with no modifications according to them, but once we drove down (8 hours) to get the hood, we planned on installing it in the parking lot. Found out 2 of the brackets needed cutting / fabrication to fit the hood, and the 2 middle brackets needed to be almost cut out completely to accept the weird mounts on the new hood... basically he couldn't put the stock hood back on unless he bought all new bracketry. I mean there was just raw spots in the gel coat where it looked like they saw problems in the finish and sanded them down so far that there were quarter-sized (if not bigger) spots all over the hood that were just raw fiberglass.

End long ass rant...

It was a complete and utter disappointment and they offered nothing to rectify the situation... we were SUPER bummed.

RevGTO
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Yep your hood apparently was far worse than mine. I didn't have problems with the finish and it didn't need a lot of body work. It was a bit short, but I got that adjusted out acceptably. Three corners were good, but the lower left was warped upwards and there was no getting it flush.

What pissed me off is that the body shop assured me that it fit fine before I authorized them to paint it. I was a dumbass and didn't go down and look for myself. You should have seen how they delivered it to me on the car. What an abortion. I was in shock.

I brought it home and worked and worked the thing. I made a lot of progress with it, but there was no getting the one corner flush no matter what I did.

vfntech
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I know we spent the extra money with VFN for the quality.. I've seen many nice hoods from them but ours was just totally FUBAR.. you think your's was bad, our's was like that on every corner no matter how much adjustment we made... moving one end would throw the other end off, the corners were too short and didn't match up, they were warped/flared up, it was all warped out...

Not to mention the insane amount of body work it needed just to look decent after paint, you wouldn't have believed it. The other part that pissed us off to no end was that the hood was supposed to be "bolt on" with no modifications according to them, but once we drove down (8 hours) to get the hood, we planned on installing it in the parking lot. Found out 2 of the brackets needed cutting / fabrication to fit the hood, and the 2 middle brackets needed to be almost cut out completely to accept the weird mounts on the new hood... basically he couldn't put the stock hood back on unless he bought all new bracketry. I mean there was just raw spots in the gel coat where it looked like they saw problems in the finish and sanded them down so far that there were quarter-sized (if not bigger) spots all over the hood that were just raw fiberglass.

End long ass rant...

It was a complete and utter disappointment and they offered nothing to rectify the situation... we were SUPER bummed.

Alright, I have to jump in here.

For one, we don't tell anyone that there are NO modifications needed to install the hood to the car.
In fact, we send instructions along with our hoods AND have a video setup on our website to show people what is needed to install these hoods - which was done by our guy who does installs here at our location (by appointment) for local customers.

We don't recommend installing our hoods in the parking lot, but we have had several customers do just that. During those times our guys have gone out there and have given pointers to help them along, in some cases even borrowed them some tools to install.
There are a ton of members on this forum who have brought them in and we have helped them install their hoods, who can attest to that fact.

IF, you were here and couldn't get the hood to fit, why was it not brought to our attention at that point? There is generally no cutting of the brackets to mount our hoods - opening up the hinge area yes, but never going to that extreme - if you are going outside of the norm for install, then something is being done wrong.
Which leads me to question this, if you were having major problems installing the hood in our parking lot, why was it not brought to our attention at that point?!
If it had been, I am sure that our guy would have gone out there to either assist or give you pointers on how to finish the install, getting it to fit correctly.

At this point, we have to wonder if you've ordered from us or if you're not Mr. Hood4Sale himself. We're a small shop, and have a good long memory and don't recall ANYTHING like this. Until you provide order number, or when it was ordered and the name it was ordered under and we can verify this, it's really hard to believe otherwise.

vfntech
03-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Funny, on his negative feedback - how it's EVERYONE else's fault but the guy who is making the product. Takes no responsibility for correcting the problem - although, nobody complains about his coins!

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=hood4sale&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&which=negative&interval=180&_trkparms=negative_180

vfntech
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Vetal - I know we spoke and you were in a time crunch ~ If you had to go elsewhere, I would recommend checking with Trufiber to see if they can help you out. Haven't heard or seen anything negative about their products, and by appearance, it does look like they make a nice hood ~

Vetal
03-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Vetal - I know we spoke and you were in a time crunch ~ If you had to go elsewhere, I would recommend checking with Trufiber to see if they can help you out. Haven't heard or seen anything negative about their products, and by appearance, it does look like they make a nice hood ~Yes from my research they are nice hoods too, BUT they appear to be 35lbs, I'd rather get yours at 25lbs...
Thanks a lot for that suggestion however :)

MUSTANGBRKR02
03-30-2012, 08:04 PM

Do not buy from "hoods4sale" just burn the money. Worst fitting piece of shit I have ever seen.

MUSTANGBRKR02
03-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I have had/have three VFN hoods and am happy with them. They will most likely be who I get another from in the future.

Cosmos
03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Vfn kicks ass! Quality is great and customer service is awesome as well!

93z383
04-01-2012, 01:38 PM
That's why theres 3 guys in one non related thread with bad VFN hoods...

uhh we did "bring it to your attention". Your guy came out and said it's common to have to slot/fabricate the hinges/mounts to accept the fiberglass hood. He also said "oh no once you get the mounts taken care of the hood will fit perfectly". Basically said everything he could to get us to leave with the hood. Well it fit horribly after everything and took almost a gallon of bondo. Still fits like shit. I called and we brought it up right in the parking lot and there was nothing you could do".