Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Senior capstone project

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senior capstone project

I am beginning my senior project for my bachelors degree in mechanical engineering degree technology. My proposed topic was shot down (universal automatic solder feeding attachment). Ideally I would like to design something car related since I am a car guy.

I am now looking for ideas of a product, mechanism, tool, or so on that is doable in 20 weeks start to finish. There must be a need. It must have enough mechanical context to be worthy of a senior project.

With the popularity of lsx motors and swaps there must be something that could be designed better or some sort of new product needed. I am working full time and going to classes at night but have a 3.95 gpa so I don't slack and especially wouldn't slack on a project like this.

Anybody have any pointers let me know. I didn't want to ask for anything on this but I now have 4 days.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is way off topic and not a car idea, but how about a toilet with the vent fan built into the bowl to eliminate #2 odors? Rather than going into the room, they'd be immediately expelled through the bowl and out the vent? The concept sounds easy but I bet it would be tough to do "right."

You're never going to believe where I thought of this.......
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you interests..... Thermal aspects, vibrations, dynamics? Does it have to be a design project? I know during my senior year some fellow MEs performed projects that were more analysis focused, than design.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-28-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

If your project can be design based, I'd say design a kit for a 10 bolt that will allow it to handle 500+ ft-lb reliably... think of the marketability! Sure there are modifications out there now that help a 10 bolt, but even those modifications don't make the 10-bolt bulletproof. But if I could have my 10 bolt modified with a kit to make it bulletproof, I'd gladly skip on a 9" or 12 bolt!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Design a bad *** intake manifold that puts the throttle body just high enough to clear truck accessories and still makes good clearance. But we don't want one that costs $600. Need one that costs $200-$250 like the old days. I would buy one like that. The FAST, Edelbrock and Holley Ram types are cool as **** but you need to sell your car to afford one.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastKat
This is way off topic and not a car idea, but how about a toilet with the vent fan built into the bowl to eliminate #2 odors? Rather than going into the room, they'd be immediately expelled through the bowl and out the vent? The concept sounds easy but I bet it would be tough to do "right."

You're never going to believe where I thought of this.......
That would come in handy with my roomate!
I like the ways you guys think. My interests are mostly in engines, power, speed, etc. I've got a thirdgen that I built the motor for and a TKO swap. This is mostly a design course, and we will build a working prototype...hopefully. That 10-bolt idea would definitely have marketability. However, I am worried that my lack of knowledge of the 10-bolt would have negative consequences. And I would thing that if it could be made bulletproof someone would have. Intake would be cool... however I could only make a scaled down version in our rapid prototyper.

What do you guys think about this?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tools-fab...ompressor.html
Old 03-28-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I am an MET and did my senior project in 09'. Designed a heat treated chromolly axle housing with a truss. In hindsight I would have liked to do more analysis but I was able to test sucessfully. My roomate attempted to do a 4-link suspension and largely failed as it was just to much scope and too difficult to measure results. Also saw a disc brake bracket, radiator for a mustang with a 460, and a supercharger housing that were pretty successful.

Having gone through the process I would stick to something achievable and measureable.

Spring compressor is a good idea. I would like to see an accessory drive that uses an old school A/C compressor and 12si gm alternator and the rest of LSX accesories for swaps into 60-80's GM cars/trucks. would essentially be a couple of brackets and pulleys. just throwing ideas out there.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Pneumatic in-car spring compressor is interesting, especially if you could design it for tight spaces. Check out Bimba cylinders at http://www.bimba.com/.

What about a low mount ac compressor bracket that moves the stock compessor forward so you dont have to notch the frame when you transplant an LS into an older car?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some other thoughts along the KISS line from old school moving to the LS world:

- Rotating assembly lock for removal/TQing of balancer/cam/etc. beyond the $80+ kentmoore flywheel lock

- Rotating assembly turning tool along the lines of the CompCam wrench that goes on the oil pump drive

- Front/rear cover alignment tools

- Steam vent solutions
Old 04-05-2012, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the ideas guys! We decided to go with the pneumatic valve spring compressor for a few reasons.

1. There seems to be a real need for this tool.
2. The scope of the project will not be more than what we can handle.
3. We have all of the necessary resources needed to complete the project.
4. Price should land into a competitive area with current pneumatic compressors, so if we play our cards right, this thing could have the potential to sell.

We will have a finished prototype by the 3rd week in September. Watch the thread in post #6, I will try to update it as we make progress.

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's a good idea and a handy tool; I built one a couple weeks ago. Makes life much easier.

Quick Reply: Senior capstone project