Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone modify headers, actually cut & weld tubes, to fit their swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone modify headers, actually cut & weld tubes, to fit their swap?

I can get a set of fbody pace setter headers for $75 but one tube needs to be modified. It hangs too low and hits the chevelles cross member. I would need it to be moved up about 3/4" if i recall to clear it. I cant just bend or dimple it, it will need to be cut & rewelded in two spots im thinking to make it work right.
Has any one cut a tube and rewelded it back?
How hard is it to weld these tubes?
What if i need more tube to make it work?
I have a mig welder with gas for thin stuff, but ive never welded this thin or actually something that may need perfect welding done to it.
Heres a pic of that header. The tube thats hanging low needs to be modified to work

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 03-29-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to cut and rerun three tubes on mine. I brazed mine with oxygen and acetylene but a mig will work fine
Old 03-30-2012, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

I moved one pipe on each header. Not so big of a problem. Take your time and you can do it!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might not be a bad idea to browse your local junkyard or craigslist to see if you can find something similar to practice on first. Just a thought...
Old 03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a thread about buying headers off of Ebay for 5.0 mustangs, cutting the flange off and then welding on a new LSX flange.
The exhaust port spacing is almost identical.
The headers are less then $100 shipped and mild steel flanges are something line $20 a piece so $40 a pair.

Food for thought.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

First time I fitted my engine I had bought some Pacesetter LT's and some Mid length headers. Neither fitted.

I ended up cutting the two up and using bends from each to create two new tubes on the Pacesetters.

Very easily welded with a MIG.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be doing this one way or the other. I have a set of BBC headers (not sure what car they were supposed to fit though) and a set of SBF Ford headers that were supposed to be for a 90s F150. The Ford flanges line up just about perfectly, but the BBC ones are going to take some work. I would just go with the Ford ones, but the tubes are like 1.25" (???). I don't want to choke the motor so BBC it is.....as long as they don't hit the steering, etc.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by superdave84
I will be doing this one way or the other. I have a set of BBC headers (not sure what car they were supposed to fit though) and a set of SBF Ford headers that were supposed to be for a 90s F150. The Ford flanges line up just about perfectly, but the BBC ones are going to take some work. I would just go with the Ford ones, but the tubes are like 1.25" (???). I don't want to choke the motor so BBC it is.....as long as they don't hit the steering, etc.
The Ford bore spacing is identical, the BBC spacing is 0.4" larger which means the tubes are that much further apart (each!). You'll really have to put things in a bind to get them matched up...
Old 03-30-2012, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
The Ford bore spacing is identical, the BBC spacing is 0.4" larger which means the tubes are that much further apart (each!). You'll really have to put things in a bind to get them matched up...
I know they're not as close as the Ford ones, but BBC headers have been used for this before. I lined up a gasket with the headers and it's not THAT bad. Pipes will bend.

Quick Reply: Anyone modify headers, actually cut & weld tubes, to fit their swap?