Sponsored by:

changing cam and heads need input

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing cam and heads need input

hey guys
im doin a cam and head swap im getting the Precision Race Components Stg. 1 LS6 Heads & Cam Package and would what bolts gaskets and lube would i need and any speciality tools i need and would i need to change anything else like timing change or springs??
and also im on a budget to
thanks guys
Old 03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd spend the extra $130 for the stage 2.5 LS6 heads, they flow more. Regardless, valve springs come on the heads, so just pick the appropriate option depending on your cam selection. You'll probably want to get the PAC 1218 springs rather than the LS6 springs. The timing set/chain and oil pump is "sorta" optional depending on mileage and condition of the parts. If you have low to moderate miles and oil has been changed regularly, you can probably get away with just the cam swap. With high miles, definitely change timing set, oil pump, lifters, and lifter trays. You'll also want a basic head and cam swap gasket and bolt kit. It you have a little extra cash, get the ARP bolts. The GM MLS head gaskets are good and reliable. For tools, you'll need a torque wrench and pulley puller. After you pull the old heads off, spend the extra time required to clean all the surfaces off and get every drop of coolant out of the bolt holes.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

okay thank you and and 75000 miles alot on a timing chain and ive already put on a new oil pump about 300miles ago
Old 03-30-2012, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

I would replace the timing chain while you are in there. New factory head and crank bolts will be fine. Is the car an A4, if so maybe a set of line wrenches. The only other thing I could suggest is a set of lifters. Like batboy said, make sure you get EVERY drop of coolant out of all of the bolt holes, because when you thread in the new head bolts you can risk cracking the block by compressing the water. Good luck with the swap.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

okay thank you and thats really important to know