Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Any videos of spools being driven on the street?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Any videos of spools being driven on the street?

Just wondering what it is like taking turns and such. Never seen it before. Heard parking lots are violent.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any videos, but I've been driving around on a spool for a few months now (not daily, but every weekend) and its honestly not as terrible as some people make it out to be, but I guess it all depends on what you're willing to put up with.

For me, the only time it made any terrible noises was when i would pull into a parking spot, but that was because I was used to clutching in (6 speed) and coasting in the spot. Doing that with a spool made some terrible noises, as the tires fought against each other the drivetrain would "bounce" back and forth some, resulting in some banging noises coming from what sounded like the transmission. Easy fix to this is just to not clutch in and coast into a spot. I've found that if I creep into a spot, slipping the clutch, there's no clanking, as long as power is being applied through the drivetrain I get no terrible noises.

Other than that, depending on the kind of surface you're driving on you'll get some tire sqeaks or the car will "shudder", for lack of a better word, in tighter turns, but for me its barely been noticeable. If anything you've just got to give it a tad more gas if you're doing a slow tight turn. I still pull U-turn's and have no issues.

I'm on SUPER hard street tires, so I can't speak to tire wear if you're running on a radial or something. With the slicks on I barely noticed the spool at all, in any conditions.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey, thanks alot. That helps!
Old 03-31-2012, 02:25 AM
Launching!

Ive got a welded rear in my solid axled blazer, Probably pretty close to same wheel base as a camaro and same thing as running a spool. Im running 36" mud terrains that are super soft and i dont get any banging or clunking but you can definetely feel it bind up when turning. The tires definetely bark and chirp and my blazer leans to the outside of the turn.

Welded up the rearend in my nova also, Wasnt going to put money into the stock rearend with 2.83 gears when plans are to replace it alrady. Its on regular tires and you can feel it bind up when turning like my blazer but it doesnt lean or anything like that. Tires definetely chirp and bark though.

Is it as bad as some people make it out to be, No.
Would i weld up or put a spool into a daily driver, No because of the tire wear.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 AM
Teching In

I've ran a spool on the street before, and as mentioned it is bearable. Though driving in the rain or skinny's can make for an interesting trip. I noticed a definite push when cornering under throttle.

But on the bright side, I did break an axle doing a John Force style burnout at work and managed to limp it the 22 miles back home peg-legged
Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 AM
9 Second Club

I've been driving my car with a full spool since last year. No issues here, but turning and parallel parking with it is very interesting! I get people always blowing their horns at me because I turn very slow. LOL
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any vid of my car since 2008 has a spool. check youtube ect
Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by studderin
any vid of my car since 2008 has a spool. check youtube ect

Trust me, I checked YouTube. I can't find anything. I don't want a highlights vid with rock music, I want a vid of someone driving to Wal-Mart, lol.

I made a request, maybe someone will come through: https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...eo-camera.html

Last edited by SStolen; 04-02-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only real difference you'll notice is the steering wheel takes more effort to turn at low speeds. My street car has a spool and it's way better than the detroit locker it replaced.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got a spool after driving a posi rear for 6 years and its awesome, some people are just stuck up pussies. YES the rear does not like turning at low speeds but its not HORRIBLE you just have to be aware that you have to please your spool's wants, cus ur spool gets what it wants, and thats straight. also with a 28 inch tire it doesnt rub.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

bringing this back instead of starting another thread.

A video can tell you alot of things. sure he cant feel it, but that is only one of the senses. you can still see and hear, and if it helps folks like me make a decision then just post one. I personally think I really dont have a choice other than a spool on the street because I am going to be making so much power that nothing else will really hold up to it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any videos of spools being driven on the street?