Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Spool in action: Who has a freaking video camera???

Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spool in action: Who has a freaking video camera???

"Is a Spool okay for a street driven car?" This question gets asked so often I can't believe no one has done this yet. Common answers are, "You won't even notice..." to "You will die!" Since it is entirely subjective, how about SOMEONE GO OUTSIDE WITH YOUR FREAKING VIDEO CAMERA AND SHOOT A 3 MINUTE VIDEO OF YOU DRIVING AROUND TOWN NORMALLY!!

Drive around your neighborhood or Go to Wal-Mart, lol, we don't care. Just get plenty of footage of you taking normal turns, tight turns, a U-turn, trying to park, etc, you know, stuff that a spool effects.

Try to get several vantage points if you can. Some footage of inside the car so we have a drivers perspective... one of those outside mount cameras would be awesome! Stick it to the rear quarter panel and point it towards the tire. Then we can see once and for all what it is like. If you don't have a car-mount camera, have someone video you driving around a parking lot or stick it out the window. God bless whoever takes 20 minutes out of their life to do this for their fellow f-body bretheron.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! The search function brought me to this thread.

I agree. I'd like someone to strap a Gopro camera to the fender so we can hear the tires get pissed off during turning and parking with a spool.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm in to watch even though I'm not in the market for a spool.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Aside from a little extra tire wear a spool is fine for the street.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:45 PM
TECH Junkie

When driving a spool around town the only time you will really know its back there is when you make turns, not so much curves but actual turns. The rear tires chatter/squeel since both are trying to turn at the same time...
Old 04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to hear from some of the sponsors on this one.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if someone donates a gopro ill take a video of mine
Old 08-28-2012, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Search took me here as well, anyone???
Old 08-28-2012, 05:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With a stock type suspension you really won't notice it. With rodend LCA's, PHB, TA and a ARB it is pretty noisy back there when driving lol but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it. Turn up the radio or if I drive it long enough to turn it on I would not notice it after a few days driving.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
"Is a Spool okay for a street driven car?" This question gets asked so often I can't believe no one has done this yet. Common answers are, "You won't even notice..." to "You will die!" Since it is entirely subjective, how about SOMEONE GO OUTSIDE WITH YOUR FREAKING VIDEO CAMERA AND SHOOT A 3 MINUTE VIDEO OF YOU DRIVING AROUND TOWN NORMALLY!!

Drive around your neighborhood or Go to Wal-Mart, lol, we don't care. Just get plenty of footage of you taking normal turns, tight turns, a U-turn, trying to park, etc, you know, stuff that a spool effects.

Try to get several vantage points if you can. Some footage of inside the car so we have a drivers perspective... one of those outside mount cameras would be awesome! Stick it to the rear quarter panel and point it towards the tire. Then we can see once and for all what it is like. If you don't have a car-mount camera, have someone video you driving around a parking lot or stick it out the window. God bless whoever takes 20 minutes out of their life to do this for their fellow f-body bretheron.
So a video can tell you how a car feels, how it handles ? how it drives ? WOW..that's some video camera you have !

Of course all of the above are subjective. But my experience of a spool is that for a road car they are the biggest pile of ***** ever. And what makes it worse, at the track when I had one, it offered no benefit whatsoever over a diff. I ran all my fastest times with a LSD !

Other than they look nice and cost less than a decent diff I cannot think of one single positive about a spool. Only negatives.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget the stress it puts on wheel studs. I'm real happy with my Strange s60 and s-trac. 1.54 60ft(M6) and perfect on the street
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM
9 Second Club

Ive an 8.8" in my car and have also done 1.5s 60fts at the strip, M6.

Im using a Ford Racing Torsen diff. Totally silent, smooth and reliable. Car drives and handles as a car should under all circumstances.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So a video can tell you how a car feels, how it handles ? how it drives ? WOW..that's some video camera you have !

Of course all of the above are subjective. But my experience of a spool is that for a road car they are the biggest pile of ***** ever. And what makes it worse, at the track when I had one, it offered no benefit whatsoever over a diff. I ran all my fastest times with a LSD !

Other than they look nice and cost less than a decent diff I cannot think of one single positive about a spool. Only negatives.
Thanx for the input. I'm guessing weight savings is the only positive then?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 25thhawk
Dont forget the stress it puts on wheel studs. I'm real happy with my Strange s60 and s-trac. 1.54 60ft(M6) and perfect on the street
Nothing is going to stress wheel studs More then a 6000 RPM clutch dump at the drag strip!

Joe

Last edited by StraightTimeStirrups; 08-31-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Thanx for the input. I'm guessing weight savings is the only positive then?
Well that and the fact they are cheaper than a diff.

Weight saving in the overall scheme of things is small though. But if you're intent on losing as much as possible, it is still weight.

Now obviously I'm making my comparisons to the diff I used. I personally believe a good quality torque biasing diff will be stronger than any diff that still uses a diff pin, like most conventional diffs.

IMO any diff with a diff pin, sooner or later it will break. The geared construction of mine and the likes of Quaife etc I just think they are much much stronger. Yes under some circumstances it has the potential to spin one wheel. Although on a drag strip this would be pretty much impossible. It's only ever happened on tight twisty courses on slower bends, or of one rear wheel was to almost, or actually leave the ground.
It's very rare I ever see stuff like that though.

Plus you also need to consider the danger factor. If you lose one rear shaft with a spool and the other survives, you will crash.
If I lose a rear shaft I lose drive, no dramas, no danger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spool in action: Who has a freaking video camera???