PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does my PCM need refashed ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does my PCM need refashed ?

I recently went from a 3000 stall converter to a 3800 stall converter and I was wondering if my PCM will need reprogrammed? The reason I ask is this I had nothing done to the PCM when I first added the converter, Then years later I did heads & Cam and got a pcmforless tune. Do i need to send my pcm back again cuz I got a new Circle D 4C. My Order sheet from PCMFORLESS said 3000 to 3400 stall with my old converter. WEll Im gonna go pick the car up now I just wont do any hole shots yet.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well if you hit the rev limiter right before the full throttle shift then yes you will need to have the tranny settings adjusted. If not it should be fine then
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 PM

well that seems simple enough. I was hitting the rev limmiter then it would shift ( that symptom) shortly after my heads and cam install a year or so ago. The tuner said it wasn't the tune it was the tranny, The tranny shop said they thought it was the tune. Needless to say I just got a new trany and converter. Something wasn't right, I suspect the converter was loosser than expected and on it's way out is I guess. IDK? Thanx
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

well that seems simple enough. I was hitting the rev limmiter then it would shift ( that symptom) shortly after my heads and cam install a year or so ago. The tuner said it wasn't the tune it was the tranny, The tranny shop said they thought it was the tune. Needless to say I just got a new trany and converter. Something wasn't right, I suspect the converter was loosser than expected and on it's way out is I guess. IDK? Thanx
Uhh, it's called having an email canned tune for a heads/cam car. Of course the tune shop is going to say it's not their tune, but who in the hell gets a mail order tune for a cammed car with heads.

And you spending money on tranny parts is just a waste of time, should concentrate on the tune where the problem is. Fixing tranny parts is not gonna do squat if the tune sucks.

Moral of the story...get a real tune before you blow anything up and before you dump even more money fixing magical problems that have nothing to do with the real problem.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 AM

You know, I appreciated your response for about the first 2 seconds & then I realized how arrogant and A$$hole like you seemed to be. PCMFORLESS has a freakin dyno and I'm sure has dyno tuned my combination before, they have been around a long time. I'm not saying something may not be wrong in the tune but to chime in with an oppinion like that seems to be ignorant and kinda unfair. I may be new to this board but I'v been around on camaroz28.com for 14yrs or so, and I'm not a newbee. I think you may have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. You sounded kind of hatefull. I know this for a reprogrammed PCM and the new trans & converter and my ETstreets when I left the tranny shop yesterday my car freakin felt better than ever, I mean that ***** was movin with a mail order tune!

I almost forgot: I broke the forward piston in two, that is why the tranny got rebuilt.

Last edited by rpmatredline; 04-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

You know, I appreciated your response for about the first 2 seconds & then I realized how arrogant and A$$hole like you seemed to be.
You know, I figured I'd continue helping you...but seeing how you're a total douche then good luck with your problems!

have a good day sir
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM

It's not that i didn't want your help but did you read your post! Read it,.. it sounded pretty harsh I just reread it and I didn't change my mind. I dont mean to come off as a douche but I felt insulted and thought I should defend Bryan Herters tune. I was told my trans was probally on its way out anyway that it's symptoms was a tell tale sign. IDK.... The car runs strong, maybe the cam & heads did it in. I guess you made me go into defense mode, but bottom line is I still dont know why it **** the bed in the first place.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm sorry that it sounded pretty harsh, but I meant to say that it's pretty obvious it's the tune that's causing your problems.

And I'm not bashing PCM4less, I'm sure they are a great company and do great tunes. But you can't honestly think that for a cam/heads car that their tune will be exactly spot on and is not the cause of the problems. There are literally thousands of combinations out there with heads of varying sizes, valve angles, thousands of different cam profiles, thousands of different valve events from those cams, not to mention the myriad of other mods on the car that can affect the tune. You can't expect PCM4less to have mastered every single one of those thousands of combinations and be sure that your tune is spot on since they tested for it. Also, weather and dyno conditions vary so much that even if the company did have a tune for your EXACT mods...you can't expect everything to be the same. Plus every engine reacts differently, so just because one engine with the same exact mods as you took x amount of fuel, doesn't mean yours will.

Basically what I'm saying is either get your tune checked (with a wb and a logger) or get a real tune before throwing anymore money at different things hoping it fixes the problem.

Just because of this statement it makes me think it's the tune, I mean is it just a coincidence that you started having problems right after the h/c install with a canned tune?

I was hitting the rev limmiter then it would shift ( that symptom) shortly after my heads and cam install a year or so ago.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM

Yeah I'll have to invest in some software I guess. I know that a mail order wont be spot on but i'm running a fairly popular combination so I'll asume it's close, Maybe not close enough. however I did talk to PCMFORLESS this morning and they told me if the car was shifting nomally and lock up was satisfactory then there is no reason for a reflsh. I'm going to confim all that right now with a nice ride. If it shifts ok with the high stall maybe it was the tranny after all or the stall wall was hit with the old conveter and the new one is alot tighter.