View Full Version : Gauge cluster and radio not working

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
My buddy just picked up a 2001 T/A; the car seems to be in great shape save for a whine in the T56 and this issue with the Gauge cluster and radio.

First off, everything lights up and the only thing on the cluster that works is the Battery volts meter. The RPM, Speed-O, Digital Odometer, gas, oil, ect gauges do not work. As for the radio, the buttons light up, but the digital read out for the stations does not. The A/C lights up and works... well works is relative here, lol... it blows, but I guess it needs a charge ;)

We checked the fuses that are at the driver side door and they seem good. Any idea of the problem?

Thanks guys!

LS1WS6dreamer
04-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Wonder if the fuses under the hood could cause a issue? I had a friend who hooked up a buncha stereo crap in his truck and he lost all the dash lights and all kinds of crazy shit was going on. I don't know wtf he wired into. lol

Is the stock stereo in it still?

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Wonder if the fuses under the hood could cause a issue? I had a friend who hooked up a buncha stereo crap in his truck and he lost all the dash lights and all kinds of crazy shit was going on. I don't know wtf he wired into. lol

Is the stock stereo in it still?

Didn't think of checking under the hood. Yeah it's the stock stereo.

Thanks Bro!

RacingTiger03
04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
if your taillights are out too, its a fuse. as best as I can recall I blew the radio fuse once and my tails and gauge cluster were out. otherwise maybe a BCM issue? Best of luck figuring it out! Hoping it's a fuse for ya!

BigBirdLS1
04-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Did you by chance happen to replace or unhook your battery.

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
if your taillights are out too, its a fuse. as best as I can recall I blew the radio fuse once and my tails and gauge cluster were out. otherwise maybe a BCM issue? Best of luck figuring it out! Hoping it's a fuse for ya!

:confused: I never said anything about my taillights being out.

Everything on the gauge cluster, save for Batt Volt meter and the back lighting, does not work and as for the radio, the only thing that works is the back lighting. The digital read out on both the gauge cluster and radio does not works.

Hope that clarified it a bit ;)

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Did you by chance happen to replace or unhook your battery.

The car sat for a while so I am sure the seller had the batt disconnected, but it was connected when we got there.

BigBirdLS1
04-02-2012, 05:12 PM
If the battery has been disconnected for a long time the factory radio has a security feature built in that requires a 3 digit code entered into the radio.

My battery went dead and when I replaced it I had this same issue. I went to the dealership and they gave me a 1-800 number to call and you tell them the VIN and they tell you the code. I'm betting you could look in the owners manual for the phone #. Hope this helps.

mikey67
04-02-2012, 05:19 PM
It may be a BCM problem, take a look at this thread: http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/883334-ls1-body-control-module-problems-fix.html

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
If the battery has been disconnected for a long time the factory radio has a security feature built in that requires a 3 digit code entered into the radio.

My battery went dead and when I replaced it I had this same issue. I went to the dealership and they gave me a 1-800 number to call and you tell them the VIN and they tell you the code. I'm betting you could look in the owners manual for the phone #. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, now I need to see about the gauge cluster ;)

RONIN LSX
04-02-2012, 05:29 PM
It may be a BCM problem, take a look at this thread: http://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/883334-ls1-body-control-module-problems-fix.html

Oh Christ I hope not!!! I HATE that BCM; it's the worst idea they've come up with!!! If that stupid thing fails, everything seems to follow right behind it, but you never know it's the issues till you burn through a Billion dollars having it diagnosed, lol...

ds98formula
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Radio could be the leds have gone out.

mikey67
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh Christ I hope not!!! I HATE that BCM; it's the worst idea they've come up with!!! If that stupid thing fails, everything seems to follow right behind it, but you never know it's the issues till you burn through a Billion dollars having it diagnosed, lol...

Don't sweat it, I had problems with my windows, radio etc. working intermittently. Read that BCM thread, it was an easy fix with a soldering iron. There were a couple cracked solder joints in mine that needed to be reflowed. It works fine now. Getting it out of the car was harder than the soldering. If you haven't found any bad grounds etc. it might be worth it to pop the BCM out and at least inspect the solder joints.

RacingTiger03
04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
:confused: I never said anything about my taillights being out.

Everything on the gauge cluster, save for Batt Volt meter and the back lighting, does not work and as for the radio, the only thing that works is the back lighting. The digital read out on both the gauge cluster and radio does not works.

Hope that clarified it a bit ;)

Well, the reason I mentioned the tails would be something to check if you hadn't looked to see if they were working. It's not something we regularly think to check out :P. But ya know thinking back on it harder I think it was my gauge cluster LIGHTS that were out with the tails and not the actual gauges... it's been almost 8 years since that occurence though. Still hoping you can get it taken care of with a fuse, I agree taking the BCM out is a pain!

LS1again
04-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Sounds to me like one of the fuses in the driver side panel. I had to take them out to reset my Monsoon deck because a CD was stuck in there, and I noticed when I removed the RADIO/ACCY fuse it would cause the panel to stop working save for the battery gauge, and I think the radio display stopped working as well. I would check that fuse again just to make sure it's seated properly and you have continuity through it.

RONIN LSX
04-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Well my buddy figured it out. Something to do with fuses and a short in the harness.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Rrgnc
04-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Which fuse was it? I'm having same problem

RONIN LSX
04-12-2012, 01:26 AM
I have no idea, but I will ask.