Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, corrosion on coil packs and spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help, corrosion on coil packs and spark plug wires

Hey guys, so I changed my spark plugs this past weekend and noticed I had green corrosion on two of my coil packs and two spark plug wires. I did my best to clean everything off then put everything back together but I noticed my car isn't running as good as before. Does this mean I need to replace my coil packs that had the green corrosion on it along with the spark plug wires? or is there a away around replacing everything with new parts like maybe getting a better cleaning agent and recleaning it? So I guess what I'm really asking is can corrosion destroy the coil packs and spark plug wires?'
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Launching!

No suggestions?
Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 AM
TECH Resident

Im changing my plugs and noticed the same thing on my #8 coil pack. Wondering if this means I should replace that coil pack.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can test individual spark plug wires with a multimeter - they should show between 397-1484 ohms of resistance - replace any wire with higher resistance. I would not replace ignition coils unless you are getting misfires. You can safely clean off corrosion with WD-40.

Quick Reply: Need help, corrosion on coil packs and spark plug wires