Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing muffler myself on 2002 ss ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default replacing muffler myself on 2002 ss ?

I have a 2002 ss with the SLP center mount exhaust and the SLP muffler that comes with that. I want to replace just the muffler with a quiet one. Is that easily done where I could do it? Or will it involve cutting and welding, which i can also possibly do but don't want to. I'd prefer a simple unbolt and bolt back on, and the system is stainless and car is garaged for the winter. or does stainless not mean anything regarding rusting/sticking together?
I'm hoping to replace just the muffler but I don't think there's a replacement for the SLP one which I think has a 3" in and 2.5" dual out. Am I looking at needing to replace the squished pipe that runs over the axle, are there different sizes of that?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you have the slp DD and want a quieter muffler? or have the loudmouth? If you have the DD you wont find a quieter muffler
Old 04-04-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Do you have the slp DD and want a quieter muffler? or have the loudmouth? If you have the DD you wont find a quieter muffler
Yeah, there is one...the stock z28 muffler...non-slp version. It is quieter...but doesnt flow for ****! And yeah, it will at least involve cutting. you could clamp the new muffler in, but welding is better.