Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Bearing wear LS2, throw is back together?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bearing wear LS2, throw is back together?

Here are some pictures of a main bearing, they all look like this.

Now, I'm planning on cleaning everything up, reassemble , and running it as-is unless I get advised otherwise. What do you think? I thought they look excellent; but I am not a professional engine builder by any means.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,357 Likes on 2,077 Posts

yeah matt, its hard, if not impossible to eyeball bearing wear with any form of exactness. I'd do some measuring. And also, there are TTY fasteners all through these ls engines. I think the rod bolts are reusable, don't quote me on that, but I believe the main bolts have to be replaced, once torque is removed, as do the head bolts. You should do some research if your not sure which bolts can, or cannot be reused. TTY=torque to yield.
Is this a low mile engine?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they look good to me, usually you look for piting and groves that are worn in to the bearing. however the overall thickness may be a problem, so a way to measure would tell you for sure.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and far as I know with the main bolts, they are reusable but you have to torque them down first to 18ftlbs i think starting with the inner bolts then stretch them after that using the tool that measure degrees. cant remember the exact specs but a gm manual or someone else might be able to help with that
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mains are not TTY the head bolts are. The rod bolts will be replaced with Katech (?). No pitting, really smooth and zero copper color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bearing wear LS2, throw is back together?