Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default looking for advice

well I took the ls2 block up to the machine shop here local to get a line bore about a month ago and about two days later he calls me and tells me its done so I go back up and pay him 168 for the line bore..... sweet so now I can put it together ............ I unbag it and notice the #5 main cap is in backwards, in my mind I was thinking they had them back off when they cleaned the block and just put it on backwards after cleaning.. NOPE you can see the cross hatch match up with it on backwards. so I do some more checking and find out I have damn near .003 clearance on the mains, way to lose for a stock rebuild.... so I call him and tell hime the main cap was on backwards when he line bored it, and if he could tightin up the bore hole by .001 to get me at the .002 that I want.. he told me to bring it back and they would fix it,
I just got it back last thurs. and started going threw it last night checking clearances and would you know it I now have any where from .0029-.0039 clearance.(the mains are all on right this time)
I took some sand paper and laid on a flat 3/4 thick piece of aluminum. and shaved some of the #1 cap and got the clearance down to .0019 right where I want it.
cross clearance was .0021 so I think It will be good If I go through all them and get the clearances where I want them.... WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK??????????
do I waste another $12 in fuel and take it back again. im tired of getting it back f---- up or not at the specs I want.
my crank is std, and using std bearings. I mesured the bore size but dont remeber the numbers of the top of my head
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

what does gm spec out for the ls2 main bore size (bare block)
Old 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool advise

Find a reputable shop, what is most cost effective.. a bit of fuel... or a blown bottom end from poor machining. your current shop should be listed in the "not for me" category.

my .02
Old 04-04-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found the specs for the main bore.
I gusse im going to pull the bearings back out and remesure the bore to make sure thay are right