Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LQ4 Block vs. LS1 Block

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Block vs. LS1 Block

Alright guys, I need some experienced help. I've built plenty of LS1's, but they were always naturally aspirated due to money holding me back. Now I'm older and I've finally gotten myself to where I can build my first forced-induction engine!

I looked through the forums, but didn't see any topics exactly like what I am looking for. I am stuck on which block to get. I'm looking for 850hp-1000hp on the dyno. Which one if the better choice and why? I am leaning towards the LQ4 due to it being harder than the aluminum LS1 block.

Also, any other suggestions on a great turbo block that I didn't mention? Anyone have any input on which heads they would prefer?

I would also appreciate if people would not start harping on how much money or how much driveline work, frame work, etc. it would take to handle this kind of power. I'm not a young punk, I realize what I am about to tear into. Thanks in advance for the help!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LQ4 will get you to your power goal easier/faster just from the added displacement. Also, the iron block is a more stable platform. Quite a few have pushed their LS1 to those levels but, the bigger the better. IMHO.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Im selling my LS1 motor and going for the LQ9 6.0. From what I have been reading both the LQ4 & the LQ9 do pretty well with boost.....much better than the LS1. I like the LQ9 because it has 10.1 compression which will help with power when not in boost. PLus the rods are better than the LQ4.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your not overly concerned with 80lbs more go iron its stronger. On that note I don't ever remember reading anything about an ls1 block being the cause of a failure.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

I think I am definitely going to look at following through with the LQ4 route. I will be putting in my own forged pistons, rods, etc.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

After 2 seasons of running my LS1 motor I pulled it out with about 700RWHP contstantly running through it. After pulling it I measured the bores for out of round and warping and found definite signs that the motor just couldn't take the power.

4 seasons with my LQ4 at between 900-970RWHP and leakdown/compression tests show it to be perfect. I believe I added about 75lbs of weight with the swap and that included the billet main caps. It's a brick shithouse! Only negative to this block is that it can heat soak without proper cooling and it still only has 4 bolts per cylinder. High performance water pump and high performance radiator keeps the car cool in 100 degree weather stuck in traffic. As for the bolts per cylinder? Well I'll take this block to about 1200RWHP but I think that's about all the heads will handle without lifting.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

It sounds like you have built exactly what I want to build. What kind of rods and pistons are you running? You can PM me if you aren't interested in making it public forum knowledge! Actually, let me just see if I can make you a wishlist:

Crank?
Cam?
Heads?
Rods & Pistons?
Bore (Cubic Inches)?
Intake?

All of these things would be much appreciated because it seems that my naturally aspirated knowledge pretty much gets thrown out the window when I add the turbos.

Quick Reply: LQ4 Block vs. LS1 Block