View Full Version : 7.5 10 bolt question?

2000whitevert
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi guys,

Here is the deal i picked up a 2000 camaro last weekend it has a stock 7.5 with 3.73 gears a spool and a girdle. I was wondering how much hp this will safely hold i know these 7.5s are junk just wondering how bad they are with a auto???

usafws6
04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Its not about the hp its about how hard you launch and hook.

2000whitevert
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Its not about the hp its about how hard you launch and hook.

The car will be on a 275 drag radial and all it has for suspension is tubular non adjustable lca.

BOBS99SS
04-04-2012, 04:20 PM
its a toss up with an auto, really i have seen cars put up some great times and take a ton of abuse, you just have to know that if your going to be at the track alot its going to break, could be a year /month/day lol, like i said i have seen them last for awhile in a auto, if you had a m6 i would tell ya forget about it all together, see what happens ,but start putting money away for a 12 bolt ,is this car stock?

2000whitevert
04-04-2012, 04:37 PM
its a toss up with an auto, really i have seen cars put up some great times and take a ton of abuse, you just have to know that if your going to be at the track alot its going to break, could be a year /month/day lol, like i said i have seen them last for awhile in a auto, if you had a m6 i would tell ya forget about it all together, see what happens ,but start putting money away for a 12 bolt ,is this car stock?

Yea as aoon as i put the drag radials on ill be waiting for it to break lol i knew they are pointless just wanted to see if a full bolton z could live a while with the 7.5. From the sounds of it i might want to keep a replacement ring n pinion

RPM WS6
04-04-2012, 04:47 PM
It should last a long time with an auto, assuming the gears were setup well and you can keep wheel hop away.

2000whitevert
04-04-2012, 04:53 PM
It should last a long time with an auto, assuming the gears were setup well and you can keep wheel hop away.

Does it need traction to wheel hop? Bc it has some bald eagle f1s on it now they dont hook for shyttt but i dont feel any wheel hop when it busts loose.

98z28CamaroJG
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
148k miles on my 1998 z28 M6, that has been beat the shit out of most of its life haha. My stock 10 bolt just started whining on deceleration :( Hopefully it will last the 3 months until i'm done paying off my MidWestChassis 9in and get to install it haha.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
im having mine heavily built and im expecting to last a long time.

NC98Z
04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
im having mine heavily built and im expecting to last a long time.

Famous Last Words!!!:funny:

FiredUpZ28
04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Id like to keep this thread going because I'm on a budget but still want to race my car a few times in the summer. Now, it is a 6 speed, so what are the actual weak links of the 10 bolt (minus the small size of the carrier and ring/pinion). Like what actually breaks/causes breakage and what steps can be taken to keep from blowing it up? Is it worth it to upgrade the axles and add a girdle? I've heard guys say my trans is gonna break before the rear end goes. Thoughts?

ULTIMATEORANGESS
04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Famous Last Words!!!:funny:

i'll see. a reputable shop is putting together and is standing behind it.

ULTIMATEORANGESS
04-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Id like to keep this thread going because I'm on a budget but still want to race my car a few times in the summer. Now, it is a 6 speed, so what are the actual weak links of the 10 bolt (minus the small size of the carrier and ring/pinion). Like what actually breaks/causes breakage and what steps can be taken to keep from blowing it up? Is it worth it to upgrade the axles and add a girdle? I've heard guys say my trans is gonna break before the rear end goes. Thoughts?

a manual shocks your drive train more over an auto. i wouldnt regularly race an m6 with sticky tires and a stock rear.

BlackScreaminMachine
04-10-2012, 03:01 PM

Plenty of guys out there blowing them when they take TQ management out, Stall the car and start making over 400 rwhp (cam bolt on). If he can keep the 60 foot in the 1.7 range it will be fine but if he can cut quicker life will be shortened.

Wheel hop always breaks stuff and killed two of my Tru Tracs in the Moser. So no matter what you have, I agree with RPM, that stuff cannot happen.

RPM WS6
04-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I've heard guys say my trans is gonna break before the rear end goes. Thoughts?

I've said this myself, but in reference to the auto cars....not manuals, manuals are a different story.

There are guys with autos and stock 10-bolts doing 1.5 or better 60-foots. My A4 car was in the 1.6s for several years before I sold it, with torque managenment reduced (but not totally turned off) and a stall + sticky tires, still with the stock untouched rear. You have a MUCH better chance of long term survival with the A4/10-bolt combo than the M6/10-bolt combo. Again, keeping wheel hop away is key, as well as getting the car as light as possibile...these things will help with an M6 as well, but with an M6 if you plan to race the car often on sticky tires then you should budget for a new rear sooner rather than later.

SOMbitch
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM

That IS the problem 9 times outta 10!! Usually it is broken teeth on the pinion and that just chews other stuff up...

That IS the problem 9 times outta 10!! Usually it is broken teeth on the pinion and that just chews other stuff up...

2000whitevert
04-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Cant wait to get the car to the track hopefully the rearend stays together

FiredUpZ28
04-12-2012, 08:23 AM
I hear ya! I really want to do a bone stock run to see where I'm at before modding it. What are the main contributors of wheelhop? Is it shocks not controlling the tire or weak lower control arms?

RPM WS6
04-12-2012, 11:18 AM
What are the main contributors of wheelhop? Is it shocks not controlling the tire or weak lower control arms?

Either or both. Weak shocks can certainly cause this, as can flex in the control arms or their bushings. Also, if the car has been lowered without the use of control arm relocation brackets, then wheel hop would be more likely.

BlackScreaminMachine
04-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Or when attempting on attempting a burnout if there is not enought water down to allow the tire to spin it can hop/skip which happened to me. Rare but if the guy near the box is not paying attention it happens.

ToxicWS6
04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
when my car had the 10 bolt in it, i had just headers and cat back, plain old radial 275s and an M6 and i completely split the carrier, i took it out to replace the bearings thinkin it was them making the whining noise (it was but cause of other reasons), the carrier came out and i could just hold one side in left hand and right side in the other and was like, well fuck, then the 9inch got ordered lol

calibur45
04-23-2012, 01:32 PM
My firehawk still has the stock 10 bolt in it...and has a 402ci with all the extras (around 500rwhp). I don't expect the rear end to last long on the track, but it has lasted up to this point. A 9 inch is in the near future ;)

2000whitevert
04-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I dug into the 10 bolt this weekend to find every tooth was chipped or destroyed on the ring the pinion was pretty chewed up too. Luckily i found out before i wasted $35 taking it to the track bc first pass on the drag radials it woulda broke. So now that i have the car on jackstands i got some plans for it hopin to get it in the mid 11s on motor n spray the world at it on a progressive if it lives its gonna fly.

Jamie22
04-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Two biggest things I've seen break is the carrier caps or the cap bolts

Tommyv8
04-28-2012, 09:31 AM
An aftermarket torque arm and lower control arms solved my wheelhop problem. Get them.