View Full Version : how could i gain MPH

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
well guys i been hearing that MPH is what matters for the street, is that right.?? ok now if i was to put some 373s in my car would it be quicker in the streets or slower.?? i know itll drop MPH in the quarter mile since it finishes faster but i need to know what works better for the streets, i also heard the faster you go thru your gears the better itll do in the streets too, and i know with some 373s it will rev up faster, can someone plz answer me all these questions, thanks for your time and help, just trying to get as much as i can in the streets

Z28GONZO
04-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Lock lock lock lock

WSsick
04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Actually I think this is an interesting topic for the street racing section.

A guy I know has a 408 wit 4.30s and a 26" tire. It definitely would haul ass at the track, but for roll racing, it doesn't work. (Actually it wouldn't work at the track either since 4th tops out at ~120.)

Here's a video of him vs my buddy's H/C LS1 (3.73s with 27" tire). 408 makes 508rwhp, WS6 made 446, both cars were close in weight at the time and had a passenger each.

ROLL STARTS AT 2:44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv2r2QuPkQ

He should have pulled pretty easy, but because he's shifting so often it hurts him. He's going to a 28" tire now so that should help out a lot.

Some people may argue, but I think less (gear) is more on the street (for roll racing anyways). 3.73 with a 26" tire, 3.90 with a 27" tire, or 4.10 with a 28" tire would be perfect street combos for our cars in my opinion.

99peweterls1
04-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Intresting topic , I feel the same as Wsick. Even more so when nitrous is involved of course.

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 06:14 PM

A guy I know has a 408 wit 4.30s and a 26" tire. It definitely would haul ass at the track, but for roll racing, it doesn't work. (Actually it wouldn't work at the track either since 4th tops out at ~120.)

Here's a video of him vs my buddy's H/C LS1 (3.73s with 27" tire). 408 makes 508rwhp, WS6 made 446, both cars were close in weight at the time and had a passenger each.

He should have pulled pretty easy, but because he's shifting so often it hurts him. He's going to a 28" tire now so that should help out a lot.

Some people may argue, but I think less (gear) is more on the street (for roll racing anyways). 3.73 with a 26" tire, 3.90 with a 27" tire, or 4.10 with a 28" tire would be perfect street combos for our cars in my opinion.

i am a 5th gen camaro L99 6l80 so the shift wouldnt really matter or would they.? i mean the quicker the rpms the better, i would guess but i am here to learn

hugger1975
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
This is what "racers lounge" is for.

Street kills is for kills.

Only thing killed here is the english language.

WSsick
04-04-2012, 06:19 PM
i am a 5th gen camaro L99 6l80 so the shift wouldnt really matter or would they.? i mean the quicker the rpms the better, i would guess but i am here to learn

Best most for an auto, no matter 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 speed, is always a converter. Properly picked, it'll get you right into the meat of your powerband, so gears aren't as big for an (stalled) auto car and much as a stick car. I have been told that gears do help tighten up a converter though.

Case in point- My buddy just got done building his LS3 for his 99 SS. When it was a cam only car, it flashed to 5200 on the hit. Now, it flashes to 5700 on the hit. :lol: Car has 3.23s and rolls out just fine. Can't wait to see what it flashes to on the nitrous. 6000+??:lol:

[The converter is a Yank SS4000 btw.)

WSsick
04-04-2012, 06:20 PM

I disagree. The title of the section is "street racing" and kills stories, and this is street racing related. Up to the mods though...

NightmareTA
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
I disagree. The title of the section is "street racing" and kills stories, and this is street racing related. Up to the mods though...

You getting soft in your old age these days??

LOL...I always went by "street racing & kills" means ONLY things related to actual street races. There are plenty of other areas for a topic like this (especially ones where you'd get much less ridicule).

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 06:30 PM

whats your point.?? ill smash all over your car with either my truck or camaro

69chevelleSS
04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Engine HP and Trany gearing also come into play

WSsick
04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
You getting soft in your old age these days??

LOL...I always went by "street racing & kills" means ONLY things related to actual street races. There are plenty of other areas for a topic like this (especially ones where you'd get much less ridicule).

I guess I am getting soft, at the ripe old age of 22...23 next month. :jest:

Like I said, if it needs to be moved or locked, so be it. But I see it as fitting in this section, it's kind of like a BS thread. Now if more like this start popping up then :lock: away.

Not necessary.

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Like I said, if it needs to be moved or locked, so be it. But I see it as fitting in this section, it's kind of like a BS thread. Now if more like this start popping up then :lock: away.

Not necessary.

lol i was jk

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Best most for an auto, no matter 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 speed, is always a converter. Properly picked, it'll get you right into the meat of your powerband, so gears aren't as big for an (stalled) auto car and much as a stick car. I have been told that gears do help tighten up a converter though.

Case in point- My buddy just got done building his LS3 for his 99 SS. When it was a cam only car, it flashed to 5200 on the hit. Now, it flashes to 5700 on the hit. :lol: Car has 3.23s and rolls out just fine. Can't wait to see what it flashes to on the nitrous. 6000+??:lol:

[The converter is a Yank SS4000 btw.)

doesnt the torque converter loose MPH too.?? i mean nobody has answered my question, does MPH matter in the street yes or no.?? i am trying to stay in the powerband and be fast lol ..... so you think if i do gears itll be slower in the streets

WSsick
04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Engine HP and Trany gearing also come into play

:nod: That's why those new 5.0s run VERY hard on the street. 3.73s and 5th being the 1:1 instead of 4th really work well together. Always in the powerband it seems.

WSsick
04-04-2012, 06:40 PM
doesnt the torque converter loose MPH too.?? i mean nobody has answered my question, does MPH matter in the street yes or no.?? i am trying to stay in the powerband and be fast lol ..... so you think if i do gears itll be slower in the streets

Lemons will come in here and say MPH means nothing in a street race, but I'd say yes and no. Yes, it can give you an idea of if 2 cars will be somewhat close, but 2 cars trapping around the same will run different. A 128 car and a 130 car isn't as close of a race as you would think, but a 120 and a 125 might sometimes end up closer than you expect...so it really can't be used as a failproof method.

I don't know how you can measure if a stalled car "lose" MPH on the street, but at the track, it can sap up some mph but it's big gains are seen in ET. That said, stalled auto cars run extremely hard in street (roll) races from what I've experienced.

NightmareTA
04-04-2012, 06:41 PM

:funny: :bs:

Hahaha...well the age part was a joke. And the above comment is perfect for a BS section bash extravaganza, so I'm a bit interested now. :devil:

SVTconfused
04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
take as much downforce off the car... less air resistance you go fasterrr

ohioborn80
04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Just trade it in for a 5.0 and be faster..haha

hugger1975
04-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Not with that "stock'ish" 12.9 @ 109 tune straight pipe with x pipe 4k lb auto you wont.

Now that truck on the other hand :eek2:

lol i was jk

:cheers:

I guess I should post from the PC more so my sig shows up :lol:

Least after I get drug by OP there would be a reason to post here ;-)

Sticks n Stones
04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Jeez op, I truly gotta believe you are pulling our leg. ...

Yep, just read through a bunch of your threads and posts. Guys who buy and sell lots of engine parts (blocks, L92 heads, cams, F1 superchargers, meth kits, etc) do not come up with threads like this one unless they think someones leg is a bit too long and are gonna help them out.

Also the 1,000+ posts gives it away.

If you do truly want to know what will help you the most, tell us your cars mods. It's got a built LS3 for starters, and you just sold a 4,000 circle D stall because you wanted a 3200...

If you don't wanna spill the beans just shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.

Oh yeah: what kind and size of tire you running? stock gears? I don't care if you aren't going to the track, you still have to worry about hooking up from a roll on the street! Even "75mph" Supra's are running drag radials for a reason.

hugger1975
04-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Yep, just read through a bunch of your threads and posts. Guys who buy and sell lots of engine parts (blocks, L92 heads, cams, F1 superchargers, meth kits, etc) do not come up with threads like this one unless they think someones leg is a bit too long and are gonna help them out.

If you do truly want to know what will help you the most, tell us your cars mods. It's got a built LS3 for starters, and you just sold a 4,000 circle D stall because you wanted a 3200...

If you don't wanna spill the beans just shoot me a PM and I'll tell you what I would do if I were you.

Oh yeah: what kind and size of tire you running? stock gears? I don't care if you aren't going to the track, you still have to worry about hooking up from a roll on the street! Even "75mph" Supra's are running drag radials for a reason.

:lol: I did the same.....seems like maybe his lil brother got on is sign on, although he did get a lil touchy in his lt1 race thread too :drive:

he is def no dummy when it comes to performance:

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/archive/index.php/t-7483.html?

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-parts-classifieds-23/2010-camaro-1-7-8-kooks-headers-brand-new-499162/

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/forced-induction-159/what-smallest-gears-stall-procharger-499203/

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/show-shine-discussion-129/my-camaro-2010-pics-vids-497656/

http://houstonperformancetrucks.com/showthread.php?19046-Stroker-Turbo-Fun

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Just trade it in for a 5.0 and be faster..haha

5.0s are fast, but nothing to be impressed the thing is that NOBODY has gone all out on these camaros, i could do gears, stall and some drag wheels 15s all around. Change the brakes drop some weight and bam bad ass times too ;)

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Its an L99 with tune only and straight pipe for now, right now i have the varaam CAI, some kooks headers, SLP pulley and the FAST intake i have all that already but i just dont feel like its the time to install the mods Working on my truck first

NightmareTA
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
5.0s are fast, but nothing to be impressed the thing is that NOBODY has gone all out on these camaros, i could do gears, stall and some drag wheels 15s all around. Change the brakes drop some weight and bam bad ass times too ;)

Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. And there are probably 30 more with undercar lights, transformer badges, etc etc with a cold air intake, or open exhaust cutouts, or something dumb just to grab attention. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the bad rep they get around here. Maybe once they start getting older and down in price, the younger generation will pick them up and actually make them cool.

I don't think they are bad looking personally, but the crowd they attract is :supergay:

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. And there are probably 30 more with undercar lights, transformer badges, etc etc with a cold air intake, or open exhaust cutouts, or something dumb just to grab attention. I have a bitter taste in my mouth from the bad rep they get around here. Maybe once they start getting older and down in price, the younger generation will pick them up and actually make them cool.

I don't think they are bad looking personally, but the crowd they attract is :supergay:

Well i am 19 so thats probablly why i am into making it more of an all out car, its my daily but i want ppl to recognized these bitches can move too

ohioborn80
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Well i am 19 so thats probablly why i am into making it more of an all out car, its my daily but i want ppl to recognized these bitches can move too

He above is right. We have a 5th Gen car club. And out of the 40+ of them one is actually set up. Cam/heads/blower/full bolt ons 680whp. Yet its still kinda slow. Be it the driver or the car. We all went to the track his best time was 12.6@123..Some one else drives teh car and it went 11.6@129. We raced on way home dead even from 45-140. I had 60whp less. He even had the better gearing with teh 3.73's vs my 3.15's. I was even on a brake in tune. Now I retuned and we played around agian. 45-100 and i start pulling. I am most likely about 40whp under him now. As i added 600rpms to my redline and few exhuast mods. At teh track i still crush him. Now I have added a stll he will not run me at all. Street or track. But it happens. WHat worse is teh President of teh club has a c/h/i/e ls3 that ran 12.4@118. He thought he was fast till he ran a tune/tire/intake 5.0 at the track. The mustang went 11.9@118 to his 12.5@117 that time. Now they don't even show up to the track as a group. makes me sad. LOL

ohioborn80
04-04-2012, 09:27 PM

Oh if only was that easy in the 5th gen you would have done it along with a billion others racing them. Yet it isn't and n/a cars are still struggling to get out there way. SC cars are still slow compared to compition.

Sticks n Stones
04-04-2012, 09:34 PM
There's only one 5th gen by me that is worked over. Tons that are stock or running cherry bombs or some such crap to make them loud.

That's actually why the one guy who built his, built his: he's chasing the title for fastest naturally aspirated 5th gen. His names Diet Coke on here and other sites, he's dropped weight down to 3500lbs and is rolling with a 600rwhp TSP 429 LS7 with a stalled and built 4L80E.

lablackbeast
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Nobody is into them, nobody tries to go for a tune only record, or tune and CAI reacord with 15s all around

Stopsign32v
04-04-2012, 09:51 PM

That is a great concept and all, only it doesn't work in all situations. Look at Ferraris and their gear ratio. Then look at a C6 Z06 and it's gear ratio. If you have torque go with the longer spread gear. If you have no torque and mainly high RPM power then go with lower gear.

Sticks n Stones
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
lablackbeast this might help you out since the GTO's are on the same base platform and were the precursor to the new camaro's (and G8's and CTS).

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343637&highlight=

This was with a crappy off brand converter that hit way too hard. My Yank SS3600 is tons more liveable and still stalls just as high but with a better torque spread above the stall spead.
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371873&highlight=

thunderstruck507
04-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Thats because they are driven by old men and/or transformer wannabe's. There is ONE...just one by me that has work into it and is respectable. ...

They are soaking up the crowd that used to buy Mustangs and Corvettes. Have you ever been to a Mustang or Corvette show?! You will see some of the most riced out excuses for cars driven by old men you can imagine.

They will put fake plastic chrome trim and fender vents and cute little "Ride the Pony" stickers and paint the interior yellow/red and everything else you can imagine.

Then they make a huge sign showing their car's options and how it's "1 of 49" yellow convertibles with white interior the premium audio and 3 extra cupholders made in 2001 on a Tuesday. Also the mandatory "stock" hp rating and they list mufflers, CAI, and a throttle body spacer and now it's 160hp over stock. :eek2:

odthetruth
04-05-2012, 03:53 PM
They are soaking up the crowd that used to buy Mustangs and Corvettes. Have you ever been to a Mustang or Corvette show?! You will see some of the most riced out excuses for cars driven by old men you can imagine.

They will put fake plastic chrome trim and fender vents and cute little "Ride the Pony" stickers and paint the interior yellow/red and everything else you can imagine.

Then they make a huge sign showing their car's options and how it's "1 of 49" yellow convertibles with white interior the premium audio and 3 extra cupholders made in 2001 on a Tuesday. Also the mandatory "stock" hp rating and they list mufflers, CAI, and a throttle body spacer and now it's 160hp over stock. :eek2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0

ohioborn80
04-05-2012, 04:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDLybhuOH0

Haha..we was just making fun that video a couple days ago.

work in progress
04-05-2012, 07:13 PM
A converter will net you serious gains over any other mod with exception of a power adder. You can choose a converter that hits hard and have better times at the track, or a converter with less hit that pulls harder up top. Circle D, Yank, PI will all tell you it all depends on what you want more. I run a PT 4000 and it is great on the streets from a stop or roll. Shift extension is what you want and the looser the converter the better it is. You can beat cars with a lot more power if your car is setup right.

WSsick
04-05-2012, 07:24 PM
That is a great concept and all, only it doesn't work in all situations. Look at Ferraris and their gear ratio. Then look at a C6 Z06 and it's gear ratio. If you have torque go with the longer spread gear. If you have no torque and mainly high RPM power then go with lower gear.

That's why I said, "... would be perfect street combos for our cars"...speaking only for F-bodies, since other powerplants/drivetrains will be different ;)

You can beat cars with a lot more power if your car is setup right.

:nod: My buddy's car will be doing a lot of that this year.

My6speedZ
04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Intresting topic , I feel the same as Wsick. Even more so when nitrous is involved of course.

See I have thought this same thing, I run a 4.10 now NA and was thinking a 3.73 would build more speed coupled with the 150 shot I'm planning on running since the extra horsepower would combat the loss in acceleration building more speed in the process.

2SSARME
04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
These 5th gens are fucking slow track cars but killers on the street.

Rhino79
04-05-2012, 09:28 PM
I think gears would help the mph, you would get deeper into 4th quicker. I also believe the right converter will pickup mph also.

lablackbeast
04-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I think gears would help the mph, you would get deeper into 4th quicker. I also believe the right converter will pickup mph also.

What convertor youll think itll do that?? And i know with the 373s itll accelerate quicker but you think itll actually gain some??

evangto87
04-06-2012, 08:58 AM
your trap speed doesnt always tell the story on the street. Some cars will be way more efficient in the 1/4 then other cars so there mph is a bit higher. Heavy cars with a lot of hp suffer quite a bit at the track because of there weight and it bring there mph down. However on the roll, things can be entirely different. Theres a lot to this topic. Automatics will ALWAYS trap lower then its stick car version of it, however, that does not mean its slower. Numerous time in my old gto, i would race stick cars that had a higher mph then me. I would usually spin on the hit and end up chasing them down and passing them.... all with that lower trap speed.

thunderstruck507
04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
My heavy pile only traps 111-112. But it has outrun cars that trap 114-115mph+ on the street.

RedBeauty84ZX
04-06-2012, 02:35 PM
A higher trap speed = more power. From a roll, power(and traction) is what matters.

WSsick
04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
A higher trap speed = more power.

No. :nono: :lol: A car with less power can easily trap just as much or more than a car with much more power.

From a roll, power(and traction) is what matters.

...among other things

evangto87
04-06-2012, 05:41 PM
No. :nono: :lol: A car with less power can easily trap just as much or more than a car with much more power.

...among other things

agreed with this. Gearing, weight, aerodynamics, driver, etc are all big factors. Not to mention cars geared to tach out at the drag strip tend to have better traps then cars that arent. Ive beaten numerous cars on the highway that out trapped me at the drag strip

01BlueSS1995
04-06-2012, 05:46 PM
:lock: :lock:

RedBeauty84ZX
04-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Well if the car weighs a lot less, but generally speaking power to weight is your biggest contributors to a trap speeds. Trap speeds are a much more precise way of estimating a cars power then the ET.

...among other things

They are the two biggest factors, didnt say they are the only factors.

SVTconfused
04-06-2012, 07:32 PM
high trap speed at the same e.t means your spinning... ive run a 13.24 at 104.01 in my L... turn around and ran a 13.34 at 104.79... my 60ft was slower and my e.t was slower... but i spun a lil bit comeing out of the hole and that wound my truck up and she ran a higher mph