Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I did my own engineering here.. this won't overheat my scavenge pump right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did my own engineering here.. this won't overheat my scavenge pump right?

So I wasn't in the online loop when doing a fully custom biturbo set up. I put my oil return line submerged in oil because I wanted to return liquid to liquid to keep foaming to a minimum. With the scavenge pump idk if that is going to work because its probably so revved up it may pull air through the seals?

So anyway I am worried about returning the oil under the oil level now because everybody says not to. In you guyses opinions will it be too hard on the pump, or cause too much foaming if it returns oil with air under oil?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slpfirehawk415
So I wasn't in the online loop when doing a fully custom biturbo set up. I put my oil return line submerged in oil because I wanted to return liquid to liquid to keep foaming to a minimum. With the scavenge pump idk if that is going to work because its probably so revved up it may pull air through the seals?

So anyway I am worried about returning the oil under the oil level now because everybody says not to. In you guyses opinions will it be too hard on the pump, or cause too much foaming if it returns oil with air under oil?
It should be fine. I plumbed my return line to the lowest part of the oil pan that I could get to because I did not want to bring the hose up to the filler cap. Naturally some air gets forced into the pan, but it is incremental to the overall functionality of the system because you have a good PCV system. Any air will just get vented. Been running this way for 4 years with zero malfunctions on my ride.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Teching In

Awesome, I always had a suspicion that "highest point on the oil pan" thing was somewhat of a myth somebody made up. The reason I felt that way is because no matter how low you are on the oil pan, the oil level is still the same and the turbos are above the oil level. The only way that would change is if you went up or down a steep hill with rear mount turbos, but then even a high pan return would send oil back up the turbos without a pump, so it just seems overrated the way people talk about it. Anyway, thanks for the response, definately appreciate it.