Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Trans Rebuilt, TransGo Shift Kit, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting Trans Rebuilt, TransGo Shift Kit, any suggestions?

I am getting my transmission rebuilt by my mechanic because I burnt my clutches. I was thinking about getting the TransGo Shift kit. I just drive the car for fun and don't race or manually shift from 1-2, 2-D, etc. What exactly does it do? Is it even worth getting? Will it cause any engine- or gear-related problems later down the line? Any suggestions on what to look out for when getting the transmission rebuilt?

Any information and input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mikez28
I am getting my transmission rebuilt by my mechanic because I burnt my clutches. I was thinking about getting the TransGo Shift kit. I just drive the car for fun and don't race or manually shift from 1-2, 2-D, etc. What exactly does it do? Is it even worth getting? Will it cause any engine- or gear-related problems later down the line? Any suggestions on what to look out for when getting the transmission rebuilt?

Any information and input would be greatly appreciated.

DONT WARY ABOUT THE TECH SIDE OF IT JUST GET IT
Old 03-26-2004, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

i was wondering the same thing........but for diff reasons. I need a shift kit that provides very strong manual shifting because at the track i like to shift from 1-2-d and i want a hard shift and fast. i dont want FULL manual though.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

You DO NOT want super hard shifts with a 4L60E. Even the "hardened" internals aren't made for that sustained constant abuse and be durable. Keep shifts firm and quick or you'll being to break parts... sun gear reaction shell, input drum, perhaps a planetary, etc.

There's no reason to shift an electronically controled A4 manually if you get the points set correctly via a PCM tune. Just stand on the accelerator and hold on.

A TransGo will not adversely effect your transmission life UNLESS it's installed incorrectly. Keep the feed holes for the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 around the specified .082" if you got the stock stall. Make sure you get the kit put in as per the instructions.

What's your realistic goals for the car? Then I'll help with parts for the buildup...
Old 03-27-2004, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

i dont have an a4 i have a built th350
Old 03-27-2004, 12:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ducati916
i dont have an a4 i have a built th350

Oh, I thought you were pretty much stock as your sig said "Mods coming". Whoops!

TransGo invented the shift kit. www.transgoperformance.com is their site. They have automatic shifts and manual ones too for the TH-350. Also B&M makes a setup that you can set your WOT shift points so you can just stand on the accelerator. I don't like shifting an automatic when racing...
Old 03-27-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Junkie

what about me im looking to what im gonna need if i plan on doing headders heads n cam san mabye a 100 shot im lookin to get into the low low 11's and still have it for frequent weekend street use... im just wondering what type of tranny build up am i gonna have to do to accomplish this and what can i do for now to make it bullet proof for a ssf3800 headders and a cam (400rwhp)......also whats your opnion on removing tq management ifter a kit and converter does this adversly effect the life of the tranny the reason i ask thia is beaocuse i think by most standarsd i drag race alot my car is 2 yrs old and probally has 200+ street passes on it (consertive estmate) so whatever i build it has to be reliable beacouse im sure it will break if its not