Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6/6L90 into a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6/6L90 into a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe

After 3 years of staring at the car under the carport.... I'm finally starting on it. The 1985 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe is basically what Cadillac did with a lot of the leftover parts from the end of production of the RWD Coupe DeVille. There were only 8,336 made, so it is somewhat rare for an '80s Cadillac. The car is in wonderful condition, but the 4.1l engine and 200R tranny have been a sore spot for me. I planned to have a 500ci BB built for it, but bought a couple of engines (gotta have a spare, lol) and quickly realized that there isn't much aftermarket support for the BB Cadillac (No FI, no serpentine, etc.). So, after running into an old friend recently and chatting about the newer GM motors, I have the fever for some modern power. I figure if I'm going there I may as well get something adequate for this cruiseliner and have settled on a LY6/6L90 combo. I think it will be well worth the effort and will likely exceed my expectations.

I have a parts car ('85 Fleetwood 4 dr) that I intend to install the drivetrain in first as a mock-up. As long as I've waited already, I'm just going to take my time on this and try to do all I can to make the actual install as painless as possible. I may be having the car painted while I'm working out the details with the mock-up. The cool thing about the parts car is that I can strip out the engine compartment and have a much easier view of what needs to happen with motor/tranny mounting locations and clearance for the AC compressor (gotta have it!), but best of all is that I don't have to put the parts car back together

I have been doing a lot of reading here and I'm getting a pretty good idea of what needs to be done by checking out the Caprice threads here. I plan to get the motor/tranny into the car and then take my friend up on his offer of tuning and wiring help. He is deeply into these engines and I am thankful to have someone nearby that might be able to breathe life into the project (he may be a member here, forgot to ask). Today, I am meeting with a potential client who owns a couple of automotive shops and may be trading out a credit towards a swimming pool (I build pools) for a LY6/6L90 combo. If we can't work something out, I'm just going to lay off of my firearms habit for a month or two and start looking for a motor/tranny on my own. It kills me to walk by my Coupe every day and I have gone into "Whatever it takes" mode. Wish me luck!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on the build. I love those big body coupes. I just sold my '84 Coupe Deville 472/th400 swap that I let sit in the drive way too long after some one pulled out in front of me a couple months after I got it.

Quick Reply: LY6/6L90 into a 1985 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe