Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative oil pressure gauge reading

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative oil pressure gauge reading

I have a 00' B4C Camaro (A4) that has 117,xxx miles. The oil pressure gauge fluctuates when idling and moving...sometimes more than others. Last night I ran the car for the first time and after 4 runs the OP gauge was reading 2-3 psi and even fluctuated 0 to -7 psi...like it went past the red. This has happened before after normal everyday driving.

I ran 13.11 a few times the I let the car cool off and then ran it again and clicked a 13.02..no weird noises, smoke or power loss. It has a few small drips of oil but that was going on even before I bought it.

I took it to the Chevy dealer and they said it was the gauge cluster...how they came to that decision I will never know. Any ideas???? I was going to replace the OPSU tomorrow just in case but don't want to if it truly is the cluster.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have that sensor already then replace it an see. Also i had this happen to me but my oil filter collapsed on itself inside and caused the oil pressure to drop. No considering that you saw no oil or smoke and the car ran fine i would say it is a big possibility that it is the sensor. If it was the oil pump which would be rare then there would of been smoke and the car would of ran like crap.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Copzilla
I took it to the Chevy dealer and they said it was the gauge cluster...how they came to that decision I will never know. Any ideas???? I was going to replace the OPSU tomorrow just in case but don't want to if it truly is the cluster.
Its the OPSU. There are other posts here for the same issue. I have it also and just got back from trying to put the new one in. Lots of cuts and scrapes but wasn't able to get the old one out. Will be starting a new thread for that problem...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech copzilla!

SEARCH will be your best friend here.

I agree, it's probably the OPSU. What oil & filter are you running?

You're gonna have a ton of fun doing the sending unit heehee....
Old 04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Just finished my replacement. This was not a fun thing to do... https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ding-unit.html

Quick Reply: Negative oil pressure gauge reading