Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 help

Hey guys I'm at the point where I want to get this engine build done as quickly as possible. The rotating assembly is on its way so it's just a matter of waiting.
Question for you guys : ( I'm building a 383 strokes ls1)
If I run a stock ls1 intake and throttle body would it starve the motor?
I plan on upgrading to an ls6/fast 92 down the road but I really just want to assemble the engine with what I have now.
Do you guys see any problem with running it with a stock intake temporarily
Also I plan on porting the heads when I get the ls6/ fast manifold later on.
And what size injectors do you guys recommend?
Please get back to me as everything will be coming together soon

Last edited by christiandoy; 04-07-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Launching!

when you do the 383 are you putting stock heads and cam back in it? you should be able to run the stock manifold and throttle body it will be a little starved and definitively hurt performance but youll be able to drive it around , but youll have to get it tuned and then retuned when you put the new manifold and throttle body on. as for injectors i would up grade the fuel pump 36lbs would be good but 42 lbs would leave you open to more upgrades.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

You will indeed starve your engine with a ls1 intake, but you can drive anything around as long as the tune is dialed in right. Id recommend getting a street tune instead of a dyno tune. Street tunes will allow you to actually get in vehicle and drive around while monitoring everything on the lab top and actually getting a feel to how the car is responding. If you stick it on the dyno its very hard to see what its gonna be like on the street because its more like a all out run instead of driving thru rpms and actually getting a feel for it. Believe it or not when you dyno its going to feel smooth and run thru like everything is perfect because the load is different etc etc.

As far as fuel injectors go, id try and go with 46 lb injectors. I currently run 40's on my ls6 and its very close to be maxed. Its always better to go a little bit bigger on injectors especially since you can play with them a bit on the tune. DONT go too big, just a little bit. I too, am beginning a build on a 383 and will be shooting for 550rwhp n/a. As TransamGCS suggested upgrade your fuel pump to like a walbro 255h and you should be good.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

The build is as follows guys:

Texas speed 383 rotating assembly
Eagle 4.00 stroke forged crank
Mahle forged pistons -6cc dished
Eagle h-beam 6.125 rods

Comp camshaft 230/230 with 112 LSA and .591 lift

AFR dual valve springs .650 max lift

Corvette rockers very low mileage

Lq4 lifters low mileage

Texas speed 7.375 chrome moly pushrods

241 heads hand ported and polished (might be going with 243s if this guy calls me back)

Ls1 intake ported

Ls6 Texas speed ported oil pump

Ls2 timing chain

Stock ls1 coils

Stock ls1 fuel rail

Still pending on injector size ( more input please)

complete gasket kit along with ARP head bolts

Calculated my compression to be 10.497 which is my goldilocks zone!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never cut corners or rush a good thing ,it always cost you.what injectors are you going to use ?you must tune for those injectors.why pay for another tune ,wait a pay check and do it right the 1 time.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why are you spending all that money on an engine and putting used lifters in it? Same goes for the rockers. Spend a few bucks and have the trunions upgraded.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Launching!

yea upgrade it while your there. might as well, cause later on you may end up regretting it. also from my opinion that cam is too small. take advantage of those extra cubic inches and throw a little bit of a bigger cam. id say anything in the high 230's low 240's duration should suit it well. hell i'm running a 236-242 cam right now in the caddy on my ls6. it has a high lift and drives freakin smooth. i cruise at like 40 mph in 6th gear with no cam buck at all. i know i'll be going up on my duration just a little bit when i get my 383 build going. but hey its your build, so do as you please with it. good luck and keep us updated.