Cadillac CTS-V - UPDATED - Extreme Composites Hood - Group Buy Opportunity

FuzzyLog1c
04-08-2012, 09:14 AM
For those of you just tuning in, I've been working to arrange a group buy for the Extreme Composites hood, pictured below. We have 9 definite orders right now, which means that, at the minimum, we'll be receiving a $150 discount on both the vented and unvented versions of their hood. This brings the price down from $750 / $900 for the unvented / vented models to a much more reasonable $600 / $750.

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-124.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/P1000281.jpg
http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr148/indy-v/BobsCTS-V-127.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/hood/new3.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/hood/8.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/hood/6.jpg
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/hood/new2.jpg

Anyway: I talked to the owner of Extreme Composites on Thursday afternoon.

To be more precise, I grilled him for about 30 minutes on the pricing of this hood relative to their other hoods, the lack of details on his website, their manufacturing capabilities, installation procedures, product quality, and shipping costs.

He seems like a very honest, down to Earth guy. Apparently, Extreme Composities does most of its business within the aviation industry, which makes the automotive hood business a side project of sorts. Their maximum production rate for hoods varies based on the aviation workload that they have at the time, but generally speaking, they can turn out one CTS-V hood every 1-2 days. Therefore, if we get 10 people to buy in simultaneously, it might take 20 days for them to finish the last guy's hood. There is no formal warranty other than a promise to make things right if anything ever goes wrong on one of their products.

While I was on the phone with him, he weighed one of the CTS-V hoods with vents that he was finishing up for another customer. 26 lbs and a few ounces. Based on my research online, I believe that the CTS-V hood weighs 20.2 lbs bare. Speaking of bare, the hood comes pre-tapped (standard M6) for mounting in the car and also includes the taps for mounting the hydraulics on both sides. The places for the holes to mount the upper chrome trim piece are not marked and must be drilled by the user. Edit: I talked to Jim, and he agreed to drill the holes. Please disregard the previous statement.

The reason why this hood costs several hundred dollars more than their other hoods, he claims, is that this is a much higher quality product and is not a Cadillac tax. Apparently, they use better materials and take far more time putting these hoods together than they do with their standard hoods. Based on my research online, I've been able to find very old (2006-2007ish) LS1Tech and Cadillac Forum posts that indicate that this hood used to have fit and finish issues, but that EC revised their design and the new hood is better.

Other miscellaneous questions / responses: when asked about making a carbon fiber variant, he said that they're actually getting into carbon fiber, but that the mold/process for this hood is not compatible with it. When asked about a bigger discount if we get even more people (12+), he said that he might be able to knock off another $25-50, but that he'd have to talk to his wife, Mona. No, they won't prep or prime the hood any more than it already is.

Their ordering process is relatively informal: you call them to set up the order. They build the hood and charge your credit card either the day before or the day that it ships. Shipping is straightforward for them, but not so much for us. They have a Fedex account and always ship via Fedex Ground with the Collect on Delivery option. I asked him to estimate shipping costs to Washington, Wisconsin, and Connecticut to give us an idea of what our shipping costs will be. He hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm in the midst of writing an email to Mona to ask for shipping estimates and more pictures (if more pictures are available).

After talking to him for a while about group buy arrangements, here's what we settled on:

We (you, me, and everyone else on LS1Tech and Cadillac Forums) set a deadline. The discount that we receive will depend on the number of orders received up to that date. Personally, I want to get the ball rolling on this, so I'm going to vote that we set the deadline to Friday, April 19th. Once that date is passed, the discount will be locked in, but other people can still order and receive the discount for a couple of weeks (I'll have to get that time nailed down more exactly)--however, those orders will not be able to increase the discount. The reason behind this strange arrangement is that on the day after the deadline passes, he has to order certain supplies for the hoods. Until all of those supplies come in, he apparently has some flexibility to modify/increase some of his parts orders and prep for additional work. Once all of the parts come in, the discount opportunity is gone and they'll pipeline the hood manufacturing process to get them out the door ASAP, which also reduces their production costs.

Questions for you:

1. Are you okay with Friday, April 19th, or would you like to set another date? We don't have to order on that day, but we all have to order BEFORE the end of whatever day we choose. After that, give or take a couple of weeks, he'll begin pushing out hoods.

2. Are the unknowns regarding the total cost or difficulty in getting this hood installed preventing you from wanting to buy it?

3. If you're definitely interested, please specify which hood you're interested in in order to establish an appropriate headcount. Right now, based on a massive slew of PMs and emails, this is what I've got (if you see your name here and want to change your status, chime in!):

From the LS1Tech Forums
FuzzyLog1c - Definite VENTS
kl2onik - Definite VENTS
NeverSatisfied02 - Definite NO VENTS
JayBirdWs6 - Definite NO VENTS
branland - Definite VENTS
DenaliXTC - Definite VENTS
psychobillycaddy - Definite NO VENTS

veee8 - Possible - in the midst of a Whipple installation and needs to check fitment.
nfl2008 - Possible
punishmentcycle - Possible
wcryan - Possible
06blackonblackctsv - Possible
big_reg - Possible
94LT1TA6spd - Possible
lollygagger8 - Possible
AAIIIC - Possible

jcollege - OUT.
54inches - OUT. Spending money on HP+ mods.
itsslow98 - OUT. Sold his CTS-V 2 months ago.
SSmokd_U - OUT. Is at his budget for mods right now.
toomanytoyz - OUT. Had to choose between the Forgestar F14 deal and this one.
9t8z28 - OUT. Thinks that the EC hood is too risky, considering the lack of real-world feedback.

From the Cadillac Forums
Tackelbarry - Definite VENTS
jweymar - Definite VENTS

NY's Caddy - Possible
Tweeter81 - Possible
06BlackV - Possible
Pho_Phizzat - Possible
dac675 - Possible
thebigjimsho - Possible

Edit: Please note that the hood does not include the chrome trim piece (technically called the "front molding"). You'll have to use the one from your existing hood, or order a new one. I've got a spare one right here...part number 88892947. $60 from GMPartsDirect. Comes with the bolts and nuts you need.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
04-08-2012, 10:13 AM
2... I've seen quite a few posts about how much prep work (and $) is needed to install these after market hoods.

adanieljohnson1
04-08-2012, 10:42 AM
No hood for me... All my money is going to my motor so I'm tapped

ichpen
04-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Tip of the hat to you Fuzzy for trying to organize this. I'm not interested (thank your wheel thread for that :) and diff is being replaced) but wanted to say thanks nonetheless.

kl2onik
04-08-2012, 03:54 PM
ryan we need to have people order who can make immediate payment. I want this hood soon and I dont want to wait weeks till people make decisions. Especially since i already know there is bs turnaround wait. Don't mean to come off strong but what was wrong with the 14th of april as we planned. Also If we call and say we are with ls 1 can some of us make payment now so they can make our hoods now not when they have 12 orders all together.

FuzzyLog1c
04-08-2012, 05:00 PM
ryan we need to have people order who can make immediate payment. I want this hood soon and I dont want to wait weeks till people make decisions. Especially since i already know there is bs turnaround wait. Don't mean to come off strong but what was wrong with the 14th of april as we planned. Also If we call and say we are with ls 1 can some of us make payment now so they can make our hoods now not when they have 12 orders all together.

Well, if you want to take the financial risk, I don't see why you can't talk to Jim and see if he'll give you a refund once we hit whatever milestone we make.

April 14th was always a random date. If you want to do the 14th and other people agree, I have no problem with it. There are still a significant number of people that are trying to save up, take measurements, find body shops, etc.

kl2onik
04-08-2012, 05:11 PM
lol find that funny taking measurements and finding body shops. What measurements are they taking with no hood measurements to begin with. Sounds good I'll email mona tonight and give them a call tomorrow to order mine.

FuzzyLog1c
04-08-2012, 05:23 PM
lol find that funny taking measurements and finding body shops. What measurements are they taking with no hood measurements to begin with. Sounds good I'll email mona tonight and give them a call tomorrow to order mine.

Whipple / TVS2300 kits. They want to know whether their installations will fit within their current hoods.

wcryan
04-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Wait. So the vented are cheaper?

FuzzyLog1c
04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Wait. So the vented are cheaper?

No. Vented = $750. Unvented = $600. Assuming that everyone actually orders.

DenaliXTC
04-08-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm happy with the price point. Definately in.

itsslow98
04-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Dont forget that if you want windshield washer fluid youll have to have a body shop modify the hood to install the nozzles.

FuzzyLog1c
04-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Major update: you can start ordering now. Production will start immediately.

The deadline will be the 15th or the 19th (not established yet). Billing will be based on total orders received by the deadline. Please post when you've ordered so we can keep track.

Also, note: the grille provided for the vents will be a diamond mesh. Jim agreed to purchase a CTS-V front trim piece and drill the holes in the front of the hood so you don't have to.

FuzzyLog1c
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Ordered today. Unvented. I switched from vented to unvented because of the cost and difficulty inherent in installing the vents.

Quick tip: you can save big (~$60) on shipping if you instruct Extreme Composites to ship to your nearest FedEx hub and pick it up there when it arrives.

tmac2419
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
i have been trying to get a hold of them to order one but have only gotten their voicemail all day :/

FuzzyLog1c
04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
They've been pretty busy with aviation work. If you leave a message, Jim or Mona should call you back in a few hours, worst case.

JayBirdWs6
04-10-2012, 08:38 PM
So is the deadline 15th or the 19th?

kl2onik
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
ryan did you end up paying full price with a refund later or did you pay 600 and hes holding it till we get all the orders....going to order tomorrow and want to know

NeverSatisfied02
04-10-2012, 10:13 PM
So whats the final price? We have enough people to get the unvented for $600?

Wonder if they will allow me to cover my own shipping on my fedex account?

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 05:20 AM
ryan did you end up paying full price with a refund later or did you pay 600 and hes holding it till we get all the orders....going to order tomorrow and want to know

My credit card won't be charged until they're finished with the hood. They're trying to figure out how to handle pricing. I still think it's better to go with the 19th deadline, but since I haven't heard back a significant number of people on this, I don't think anyone cares.

So whats the final price? We have enough people to get the unvented for $600?

Wonder if they will allow me to cover my own shipping on my fedex account?

We have enough people to get down to $600, if they order. Yesterday, two people ordered: myself, and cutter5o on the Cadillac Forums.

I don't have a Fedex account, so you're better off calling Extreme Composites yourself. Jim and Mona are relatively easy to work with, so I'll go out on a limb here and say that they'll probably be fine with your request.

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Ok great! Ill contact them and see. I can order now but if we need to wait for others to come through to get that price, I can hold off for a week or so.

kl2onik
04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
neversat I am going to order today, just order with me....this will guarantee that we already will have 4.

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 08:58 AM
I can order today but I'm going to contact them to see if they will allow me to charge shipping to my account. How much will I be paying to order it today?

branland
04-11-2012, 09:02 AM
I just ordered. We now have 3 confirmed.

tmac2419
04-11-2012, 09:24 AM
I just got off the phone with them. Unvented ordered.

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Sweet! The more the better! :)

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Is anyone going vented? Btw, shipping to the Atlantic coast (Connecticut) is $212. Ouch.

branland
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Is anyone going vented? Btw, shipping to the Atlantic coast (Connecticut) is $212. Ouch.

I ordered the vented hood

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Ventless for me ;)

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
I ordered the vented hood

Did you get a quote on getting the vents finished or the hood painted?

JayBirdWs6
04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
5 confirmed orders? Ouch!! $212 shipping

I havent ordered yet

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Thats exactly why im hoping they will allow me to ship it on my account.

DenaliXTC
04-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Whats the phone number and contact name for who we need to call that is handling this group buy I want to order my vented hood..

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Whats the phone number and contact name for who we need to call that is handling this group buy I want to order my vented hood..

Call Extreme Composites. 866-222-7822. They'll know who you are if you say that you're looking for a CTS-V hood as part of the group buy.

branland
04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Did you get a quote on getting the vents finished or the hood painted?

No. I have a somebody in mind to do if for me. They owe me a favor. I should get a decent price. If not. I'll get it done anyway. It is what it is.

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
They offer to prep and paint before they ship it? I'd imagine that's costly. And I don't know how comfortable I'd be trusting the shipping and handling of my perfect painted hood.

wcryan
04-11-2012, 04:08 PM
i'd imagine it would be only a few hundred dollars. Don't know why someone was quoted a grand

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 04:12 PM
They offer to prep and paint before they ship it? I'd imagine that's costly. And I don't know how comfortable I'd be trusting the shipping and handling of my perfect painted hood.

They don't do that. I was asking if he went out and requested quotes.

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh ok. Lol makes more sense

FuzzyLog1c
04-11-2012, 04:59 PM
i'd imagine it would be only a few hundred dollars. Don't know why someone was quoted a grand

I got quoted $1200 to repaint my front bumper. My color is insanely difficult to do, but nevertheless, I'm going to get a competitive quote from another Cadillac dealership.

kl2onik
04-11-2012, 05:17 PM

or free if you do it yourself +250 to spray)) more hassle but much more reasonable

NeverSatisfied02
04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
I assume to do it yourself you would need to have some bodywork experience to ensure the hood is blocked out properly and ready for paint.

How many are confirmed sales?? Ill be ordering mine tomorrow. Would have done it today but i had a lot going on with picking up this fast 92 setup for the car.

jweymar
04-11-2012, 11:00 PM
Whats the contact name and number?

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Someone listed it earlier in the thread

kl2onik
04-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I just called again left a message. Neversat you need a sanding block, waterproof sand paper 400, 600, 800 grit, a bunch of water and lastly an iron shoulder that will be able to sand for 3 hours. I'm more worried on how to set the vents in? Skydiver you got a pic of your inner hood scoop seams? Would love to get an idea of how they set them in.

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Oh ok. Well with mine being ventless, it should be a little easier to prep.

How many are we at now? I can call and order whenever... I just want to make sure its going to be for the $600 before i do.

FuzzyLog1c
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
NeverSatisfied, we had 8-9 people signed up. Your purchase may be required to get us all down to $600.

DenaliXTC
04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I placed my order this afternoon and the price was $100 off. I believe after my order there are 2 more people needed to get the price down another $50 for a total of 8 people..

I called and left a message, they called me back about an hour later..The lady I spoke with was very nice (Mona, I believe was her name?).

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Ok. I'll put my order in tomorrow then and just pray one more person comes through. Lol

FuzzyLog1c
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
With NeverSatisfied's order, we have 7 confirmed orders need one of the following four people to order:

JayBirdWs6
psychobillycaddy
jweymar (Cadillac Forums)

If we can't get one of those guys in, there are still over ten other people that expressed interest in the hood that I can contact again.

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 08:33 PM
What's the number needed to get the price to $600? It's $650 with 8 people right?

skydiver
04-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Skydiver you got a pic of your inner hood scoop seams? Would love to get an idea of how they set them in.

Not exactly sure what pics you'd like, Since I don't have any before the hood was done.
Here are some I took tonight from different angles, ect.

skydiver
04-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Skydiver you got a pic of your inner hood scoop seams? Would love to get an idea of how they set them in.

Here are some from the underside of the hood

jweymar
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Who do I call and what is the number?

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Not that I'm a fan of the vents but they actually look nice from the top. Im just a little surprised they didn't do more to make the underside look a little more fancy and finished though. Looks unfinished to me with the rough edges and cut marks. I mean no one sees it and ur car is sick regardless but if it was mine, I'd want them to clean the edges up and make it all nice, even and presentable.

But thanks for posting pics! I was curious to see how they were installed myself.

kl2onik
04-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Here are some from the underside of the hood

thats what I meant bro thanks...also I ordered mine around 1pm est and at that time mine was the 5th order total (vented).

kl2onik
04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Who do I call and what is the number?

Call Extreme Composites. 866-222-7822
Leave a message that you are part of the group buy and Mona should call you back withing an hour or so. Spoke to her today and they seem like cool peeps.

VeryWhiteDevil
04-12-2012, 10:54 PM
I just hope in 30 days, I can take advantage of the 600 price.

NeverSatisfied02
04-12-2012, 11:32 PM
30 days?? We need u now! Lol

FuzzyLog1c
04-13-2012, 05:18 AM
I just hope in 30 days, I can take advantage of the 600 price.

You won't be able to.

SkyDiver, could you post those pictures to Photobucket or something so that they're a little larger?

ITSAV
04-13-2012, 06:30 AM
Here are some pics that I took from when mine originally came in
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041072.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041071.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041074.jpg

ITSAV
04-13-2012, 06:31 AM
it took some work, but the body shop was able to get them all cleaned up and it looks great now

skydiver
04-13-2012, 06:32 AM
You won't be able to.

SkyDiver, could you post those pictures to Photobucket or something so that they're a little larger?

OK, Put them on the photobucket....Hopefully that'll help

NeverSatisfied02
04-13-2012, 11:04 AM
I'll be calling them shortly to see if they will allow me to ship the hood on my FedEx account and to see how many people we are at. I'll most likely go ahead and place my order as well as long as we are close to the amount of people needed for the $600 deal.

branland
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I'll be calling them shortly to see if they will allow me to ship the hood on my FedEx account and to see how many people we are at. I'll most likely go ahead and place my order as well as long as we are close to the amount of people needed for the $600 deal.
I gave them my Fedex account number. They didn't think it would be a problem.

NeverSatisfied02
04-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Sweet cause im sure shipping it that way will save me some $$$ too.

kl2onik
04-13-2012, 06:13 PM
guys are we at 8 yet???

NeverSatisfied02
04-13-2012, 06:40 PM
6 confirmed i was told. Me and another guy are 100% in as long as we are going to hit 8 people so with us both, we will be at 8 and we will get the $150 off. :)

psychobillycaddy
04-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Mine is going to be ready for me to pickup at fedex next week

NeverSatisfied02
04-14-2012, 03:51 AM
Ill be ordering mine for sure tomorrow if they are open and now that the 8 people is going to be a sure thing.

kl2onik
04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
was told mine will be ready to ship out monday or tuesday)))

rsutter22
04-15-2012, 04:56 PM
thats nasty! i love the cts-v's there sick

FuzzyLog1c
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
We're up to 7 confirmed orders. One more left!

kl2onik
04-16-2012, 12:24 PM
who is slacking here?)))

JayBirdWs6
04-16-2012, 12:41 PM
I'm in the process of ordering the last few things for my maggie 112. Pay day is Thursday so will see thursday. I really want to order the hood

jweymar
04-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Ordered the 8th hood today! She said we officially get the discount.

NeverSatisfied02
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm about to order too so maybe if we hit 10-12, we can get a bit more off... :)

wcryan
04-16-2012, 03:33 PM
so tempting........

NeverSatisfied02
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Do it!!

psychobillycaddy
04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Man that was fast. My hood should be here Wed. the 18th.

NeverSatisfied02
04-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm hoping I can find a shop to paint mine and my front bumper cover at the same time for a good price.

FuzzyLog1c
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm hoping I can find a shop to paint mine and my front bumper cover at the same time for a good price.

I have a quote from a local shop here to do the hood, refinish the entire front bumper, and repair some damage caused by one wheel impacting the sheet metal (bottom-out during a very hard turn) for $2,200 including tax. Keep in mind that my color is a three-stage process.

NeverSatisfied02
04-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Damn... That seems pricey. What color is ur car?

I had a shop here look at my bumper and they told me it would be roughly $800 to fill the LP holes for me and repaint it and to prep and paint the hood as long as the prep wasn't going to be an extreme job. And I thought that quote was a little above average price wise. Was hoping for $500 or so for the both of them to be sprayed.

FuzzyLog1c
04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
Infrared. The local dealership was going to charge me $1200 not counting the hood. I'm going back to them to get a competitive quote on the whole package including the hood.

NeverSatisfied02
04-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Oh ok. Makes sense. I would still think you'd be able to find a cheaper quote than that though unless ur set on using the dealer.

FuzzyLog1c
04-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Oh ok. Makes sense. I would still think you'd be able to find a cheaper quote than that though unless ur set on using the dealer.

No, the cheap quote was the dealer. They're only charging $55/hour.

kl2onik
04-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Mona emailed me yesterday saying my hood would go out today))) I was told that I would be charged 250 to spray the hood. My bumper just got sprayed today and I'm picking the car up tomorrow. (200 but its through a friend). I'm just lucky enough not to get raped on body work since all my friends do that crap. Engine work is a whole other story and leaves my wallet sobbing(

FuzzyLog1c
04-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Mona emailed me yesterday saying my hood would go out today))) I was told that I would be charged 250 to spray the hood. My bumper just got sprayed today and I'm picking the car up tomorrow. (200 but its through a friend). I'm just lucky enough not to get raped on body work since all my friends do that crap. Engine work is a whole other story and leaves my wallet sobbing(

Well, I'm jealous, assuming that they do a superb job. I'm coming up on the second anniversary of my CTS-V purchase (back then, it only had 7,000 miles) and to date, I haven't surrendered the vehicle to anyone for maintenance, repair, or modification (other than the tuner).

kl2onik
04-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Man that was fast. My hood should be here Wed. the 18th.

Think you are going to be the first one getting it man let us know...unless you already got yours ryan?

NeverSatisfied02
04-17-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a couple buddies that have "connections" on paint and body for great prices. I'm just skeptical when it comes to saving money on things like this because body work is one of those things that can either look really good or half ass (if you know what you're looking at). On top of that... Once its done and you're not happy, the only way to fix it is to have someone else do it again to get it right and you'll end up spending way more than you would have in the long run. If you see the quality of the work before hand and it looks good, you should be fine. I don't think i'd take the discount unless its a reputable shop/painter or i've seen the work myself first hand. Just sayin...

But i hope ur price includes a quality outcome. :)

kl2onik
04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
well they made my car go from this to this in less than a week and for 2gs,(totaled was the insurance claim) think i can trust them with some sanding))) PS if anyone is around PA or MD might be worth your time to get it done up here...

NeverSatisfied02
04-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Damn, looks good to me man. I'd go with them. Like I said... As long as you've seen their work first hand and it's good, no worries.

XrustyjamesX
04-18-2012, 05:09 PM
Hey, I frequent the CF board as sx54dx but came across this post and had some questions.

I would love to get in on this deal but I am a procrastinator and didn't file my taxes until the last day so my refund is not due until the 23rd or so.

Will the final price still be available after the 19th?

FuzzyLog1c
04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Hey, I frequent the CF board as sx54dx but came across this post and had some questions.

I would love to get in on this deal but I am a procrastinator and didn't file my taxes until the last day so my refund is not due until the 23rd or so.

Will the final price still be available after the 19th?

Possibly. In my opinion, you have two options:

1. Order it now. Mona wrote me today to tell me that my hood will be built next. They've already produced four and they have four in queue after me. They won't charge your credit card until they finish your hood, so (I think--based on what you said) you'll be good to go.

2. Call Extreme Composites and tell them about the predicament. They're a family run business and you'll get Jim or Mona--I don't think either of them will have a problem with what you propose.

NeverSatisfied02
04-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Today is the last day for this right?

JayBirdWs6
04-19-2012, 12:30 PM
anyone know their hours?

psychobillycaddy
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Think you are going to be the first one getting it man let us know...unless you already got yours ryan?

Got mine and its on the car. Ill take a pic and post it in a few. It took me 30 mins to get it lined up.

psychobillycaddy
04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
and Im no bodywork person at all. Ill be paying a pro to do it right...when I find one in Houston

NeverSatisfied02
04-19-2012, 06:25 PM
Looks good. I called today to place my order and left a voicemail and no one called me back. I'm gonna order tomorrow

FuzzyLog1c
04-19-2012, 06:43 PM
and Im no bodywork person at all. Ill be paying a pro to do it right...when I find one in Houston

Fitment looks pretty solid. Do you have bigger versions of those pictures?

DenaliXTC
04-19-2012, 07:58 PM

fitment looks real nice! looking forward to finished pics.

psychobillycaddy
04-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Fitment looks pretty solid. Do you have bigger versions of those pictures?

Those are just some quick snaps with my phone. Ill get the camera out tomorrow and get some better ones.

NeverSatisfied02
04-19-2012, 09:52 PM
So is today the last day? Hoping since I called today and left a voicemail they will still let me get in on it tomorrow. Had so much else going on I was procrastinating on this. Lol

FuzzyLog1c
04-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Apparently, we have one case of a hood broken by FedEx when shipping to a location approximately 3 hours away from Extreme Composites. If you've received a hood, please chime in and let us know how your hood came in. For those of you who may be receiving a hood in the near future, be sure to carefully inspect it before signing anything.

kl2onik
04-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Apparently, we have one case of a hood broken by FedEx when shipping to a location approximately 3 hours away from Extreme Composites. If you've received a hood, please chime in and let us know how your hood came in. For those of you who may be receiving a hood in the near future, be sure to carefully inspect it before signing anything.

Here is mine...I also went to a fedex freight facility for pickup...and yes it looked like a shthole warehouse. Had him open the box before I took it. Overal pretty happy except the vents need to be set in deeper cause they stick out. They should have made the supporting thin fiberglass piece lower into the hood so the vents clear the surface rather than stick out. Requires either to sand the vents to thin them out or cut the inner layer of the hood to set them in more. Also pertaining to the rest of the hoods even w/o vents ive noticed a sharp edge all along the very front of the hood where the metal moulding goes and to the sides of it above the lights. Overall pretty happy...Havent set it up to the car yet but will do that all this weekend. Should have it finished and on by end of next week. Sucks to hear someones hood got Fd up.

FuzzyLog1c
04-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Sounds like you have you to build up the area around the vents to get them to blend into the hood.

kl2onik
04-26-2012, 09:49 AM
If you just build around it, it would still be above the flat surface of the hood. Have to set it in deeper and then build around it. Gonna take it to a friends place today to see his thoughts since he is going to paint it anyway.

RRsV
04-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Here is what the hood looked like upon arrival...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041074.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041073.jpg

had to clean this up a lot to even get the vent to be able to sit there properly
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041072.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041071.jpg

this was the piece that was damaged in shipping...they ended up fixing the whole front end of the hood, cause on one side it was this as could be, and shutting the hood once would have caused it to break
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/P5041070.jpg

my shop was able to clean it up, but they wouldn't do it again, it had a lot of those little pin holes that you can see in fiberglass, that they needed to clean up as well, but they did.....here are the pics of it finished...its still has some swirls in the paint because you have to let the paint cure for 90 days, and these pics were before that point, after the 90 days, i brought the car back, and they cleaned it up

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/229024_10150193161837476_750507475_7328982_3382460 _n.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/228119_10150193161952476_750507475_7328986_3422368 _n.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/226939_10150193162097476_750507475_7328989_8194481 _n.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/coltonc18/226919_10150193162037476_750507475_7328988_3555113 _n.jpg

As it goes, I love the hood, and am glad that I did get it, to me it just adds a major tone of aggressiveness to the car and I get a lot of compliments about the hood as well

NeverSatisfied02
04-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Got mine ordered! :)

DenaliXTC
06-17-2012, 09:22 PM
My hood has been in prep for a while now at my shop. Xclusv Autosports in staten island new york is where I take all of my cars of any type of custom work. Anyone in the area should check them out. Meticulous work, great pricing, and top notch customer service. Whether you have an exotic, daily driver, antique, show car...really anything -- they can do it.

The fitment was a little off and the vents needed to be molded in to look good. After countless hours of prep work to both the top side and underside of the hood it is ready for paint. I wanted the underside to look just as good at the topside. Here are some teaser pics.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/denalixtc/ddda3d12.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/denalixtc/75da2c2b.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/denalixtc/cc43e6f5.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/denalixtc/fc56ab6f.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/denalixtc/c5632181.jpg

wcryan
06-17-2012, 09:30 PM
that looks pretty good. I'm kickin myself right now for not getting in on this

NeverSatisfied02
06-17-2012, 10:07 PM
Got mine sittin the the garage awaiting install.

kl2onik
06-17-2012, 10:56 PM
denali mine should be getting painted this week as well, it also was finished being prepped this friday. Had a few setbacks and decided to set the vents in on pins as well as epoxy followed by dolphin glaze to look proper. Just hoping the hood actually fits my car as I never tried bolting it on when it came in as a raw piece before I started all the prep work. But looking at everyone elses pics the fitment looks fine so I am not too stressed.

PS just noticed that 11 x5m in your thread, hows that treating you I took one out for a ride a few months ago and must say I enjoyed it

06vLo
06-17-2012, 10:57 PM
cant wait to see more of these hoods on everyones cars.

DenaliXTC
06-18-2012, 12:32 AM
denali mine should be getting painted this week as well, it also was finished being prepped this friday. Had a few setbacks and decided to set the vents in on pins as well as epoxy followed by dolphin glaze to look proper. Just hoping the hood actually fits my car as I never tried bolting it on when it came in as a raw piece before I started all the prep work. But looking at everyone elses pics the fitment looks fine so I am not too stressed.

PS just noticed that 11 x5m in your thread, hows that treating you I took one out for a ride a few months ago and must say I enjoyed it

thanks man. the x5m is hands down one of the best carts I've ever purchased. I love everything about it. The power and power delivery is incredible. the handling is awesome and theres room for stuff/people in the rear. all around great car. I have zero regrets with the car nor have I had any issues with it. Definitely one of my favorites I've bought. If I could change anything about it it would be the transmission. If it had the DCT trans from the e9X M3's its would be prefect. Love fit as my DD. I plan on doing downpipes tune and full exhaust for some more power. Its easy to get an extra 100 rwhp 100rwtq from those mods. Its already a beast so I can't imagine it after that work.

JayBirdWs6
06-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Kinda wish I jumped on the wagon when this GB came around but I had other things to take care of.

ChitownLS1
08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
For those with the heat extractor version; where does the rain/car wash water drain?

FuzzyLog1c
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
For those with the heat extractor version; where does the rain/car wash water drain?

The CTS-V heat extractor hood is a Spectre Werks product. I think they went out of business.

ChitownLS1
08-14-2012, 11:47 AM
I am talking about the Extreme Composite hoods with the heat extracting vents.

furbe
08-15-2012, 03:49 AM
My hood has been in prep for a while now at my shop. Xclusv Autosports in staten island new york is where I take all of my cars of any type of custom work. Anyone in the area should check them out. Meticulous work, great pricing, and top notch customer service. Whether you have an exotic, daily driver, antique, show car...really anything -- they can do it.

The fitment was a little off and the vents needed to be molded in to look good. After countless hours of prep work to both the top side and underside of the hood it is ready for paint. I wanted the underside to look just as good at the topside. Here are some teaser pics.

So $750 + shipping (aprox $1000 total) and you still have to spend countless hours prep (countless hours = $$$) to make it look ok?

I Need One of These!!

What a sweet deal!~

meatyCTS-V
08-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Those of you that missed out on the first group buy opportunity, including myself, why don't we just see if they'll do it again?

Seems the first one went off without a hitch. Just not enough time to scrape together a few bucks to get in on it.

Anyone? I've seen 3-4 of you wanting to do it.

-meaty

kl2onik
08-15-2012, 08:32 PM
My advice to anyone getting into it.
1) Make sure the you check the hood when it comes before you sign off on it.
2) If you go vented like me or denali make sure you have the time and patience to do it cause mounting those vents properly and in a clean manner takes for f'n ever! (they have to be shaved down to fit, attached and then all the sides filled/sanded)many hours spent here
3)The water runners provided to go under the vent in the hood weren't even from this hood:( Don't know if Denalixtc ever figured out what the helz to do w them?
4) Assume you will be spending double what you pay for your hood with shipping/prep and paint. 1200 for ventless and you are looking at 1500 easily for the vented.
5) All said and done the hood looks banging and is worth every penny...no doubt about it being the best visual investment.

DO IT!!!!

rear led's next for me

BigTuna819
08-15-2012, 09:59 PM
hmmmmm soooo tempting

ChitownLS1
08-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Where does the water go on the vented hood? I just had mine installed and don't see where the water is supposed to drain. Pics of the underside of your hoods would be helpful.

NeonRon
08-16-2012, 05:37 AM
I would certainly consider an unvented hood.

ChitownLS1
08-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Anybody?

DMM
08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
I'd prpbably be in for next spring. Already spent $10k on stuff for all my cars this year and the house needs gutters.

NeverSatisfied02
08-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Got mine installed. Loving it...

ChitownLS1
08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Love mine too...just wondering about the water drainage.

JayBirdWs6
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I would be down for a GB early next year.

kl2onik
08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Where does the water go on the vented hood? I just had mine installed and don't see where the water is supposed to drain. Pics of the underside of your hoods would be helpful.

Bro I had it installed without the provided water runners cause they are not even from this hood. You wont be able to fit the provided ones nomater which darn way you flip them. Dont know why extreme comp even bothered to send some bs thats not even for this hood. It seems the vents are located above about the strut tower areas. I just let it run in there to be honest, its far enough from the battery so its not really a concern as of now. Ask Denali if he installed runners somehow but his hood pic looks identical to mine, he filled in the vents just like me.

ChitownLS1
08-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Bro I had it installed without the provided water runners cause they are not even from this hood. You wont be able to fit the provided ones nomater which darn way you flip them. Dont know why extreme comp even bothered to send some bs thats not even for this hood. It seems the vents are located above about the strut tower areas. I just let it run in there to be honest, its far enough from the battery so its not really a concern as of now. Ask Denali if he installed runners somehow but his hood pic looks identical to mine, he filled in the vents just like me.

Shoot me pics of your if you can.

kl2onik
08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Shoot me pics of your if you can.

no prob bro I will post pics on here tomorrow im at work till 11( too dark for pics

kl2onik
08-18-2012, 03:53 PM
here are some pics you asked for chitown

etcts-v
09-22-2012, 10:52 PM
If anybody want's to do a 2nd run on a group buy let me know for sure, I'm in!

JayBirdWs6
09-23-2012, 04:27 PM
If anybody want's to do a 2nd run on a group buy let me know for sure, I'm in!

If the price is right YES

FuzzyLog1c
09-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Where were you guys when I originally set this up? :eyes:

JayBirdWs6
09-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Spending money on maggie

etcts-v
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Blowing my wad on heads, cam and headers! haha

DenaliXTC
10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
So $750 + shipping (aprox $1000 total) and you still have to spend countless hours prep (countless hours = $$$) to make it look ok?

I Need One of These!!

What a sweet deal!~

My shop pretty much gives me a flat rate. After the whole hood was prepped painted and installed it was parked outside in the sun and an air bubble in the fiberglass popped like a pimple. They had to redo the whole hood.

penn73
10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Subscribed.

branland
12-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Finally got my hood back from the shop. They did a really good job fairing in the vents and also installed the pieces on the bottom to channel the water. He said it took awhile to figure out, but he installed bottom piece so that the water would drain out through a side cut out in the hood through a hole in the front.

Off to paint next week.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96283

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96288

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96287

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96286

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96285

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96284

kl2onik
12-16-2012, 02:06 AM
cheers man glad to see another one. You all have to agree the hood makes the car look younger all of a sudden)

FuzzyLog1c
12-22-2012, 03:01 PM
What are you planning on doing with the washers? I've been slacking on getting my hood installed, but when I do, I'd like to try to mount them inside the engine bay at a steep upward angle.

VeryWhiteDevil
12-22-2012, 03:35 PM
fuzzy, get the kit to mount the washers on the wiper arms. looks clean and its GM parts anyways. there is a thread on the part numbers

FuzzyLog1c
12-22-2012, 03:40 PM
fuzzy, get the kit to mount the washers on the wiper arms. looks clean and its GM parts anyways. there is a thread on the part numbers

I hate wiper mounted sprayers. I personally think they look hideous. Thanks, though.

branland
12-22-2012, 07:30 PM
What are you planning on doing with the washers? I've been slacking on getting my hood installed, but when I do, I'd like to try to mount them inside the engine bay at a steep upward angle.

The sprayers were a pretty clean install on my car. You can't even tell they are there.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96621

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96622

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96623

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96733

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96734

branland
12-22-2012, 07:33 PM
They forgot to put the eyelids on headlights. I'll clean the car and post some pics Monday of the hood.

I8URSVT
12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Fuzzy, or anybody...in original post, the first car has a 2 gauge a-pillar pod that looks very clean, any idea where to get that or was it custom made? any details?

I would be interested in a hood in '13 if we get another group buy together.

happy holidays all!

FuzzyLog1c
12-24-2012, 04:18 PM
Fuzzy, or anybody...in original post, the first car has a 2 gauge a-pillar pod that looks very clean, any idea where to get that or was it custom made? any details?

See attached.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1068727-bob-johnsons-v-revisited.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/162133-pics-pillar-gauge-pod-progress-not-3.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v/1009976-triple-gauge-pillars.html

branland
12-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Butchered one of the eye lids. Got the heat gun to close to it.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96702

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96701

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96704

http://ls1tech.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17413&pictureid=96700

The Raven seems to make the hood more subtle than I thought it would be.

FuzzyLog1c
12-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Damn. I need to get mine done. Every time I see the vents, I'm sad that I didn't go that route.

I8URSVT
12-24-2012, 08:52 PM
looks great

JayBirdWs6
04-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Post digger!!

Finally ready to pull the trigger on a vented hood. Any group buys in other threads or forums for this hood?

voodoochikin04
04-15-2014, 10:19 AM
id consider one also. old thread though

JayBirdWs6
05-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Man I wish I got in on this Group buy. Yeah the prep work is the killer but it sets you apart from the rest when finished and done right.

branland when you are ready to part with it let me know.

05maroonv
05-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Group buy option long gone? Wouldn't mind having one, prolly non vented for the cost difference by the time a shop opens the vents etc.

jclayc
05-13-2014, 08:46 AM
if the cts and cts-v hoods are the same dimensions, why wouldn't a hood like the "Sarona" one work on the V?

https://www.sarona.com/media/images/2138%2003_04_05_06_07_cadillac_cts_custom_sarona_b ody_kit_hood_side_skirts_fenders_front_rear_bumper _add_on_trunk_roof_wing_sport.jpg

stratass
05-13-2014, 10:30 AM
I like a slight raised hood!Hate the flat stocker.

54inches
05-14-2014, 12:28 AM
I need one of these......

itsslow98
05-14-2014, 02:18 AM
I like a slight raised hood!Hate the flat stocker.

I really don't know what cadillac was thinking, they put a powerdome type hood on the sts-v and xlr-v during that generation but put a plain hood on the cts-v.

VeryWhiteDevil
05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
even the STS-V hood would have been cool

AAIIIC
05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
if the cts and cts-v hoods are the same dimensions, why wouldn't a hood like the "Sarona" one work on the V?

https://www.sarona.com/media/images/2138%2003_04_05_06_07_cadillac_cts_custom_sarona_b ody_kit_hood_side_skirts_fenders_front_rear_bumper _add_on_trunk_roof_wing_sport.jpg
It should work just fine on the V.

That looks a lot like the old Specter Werkes heat extractor hood. Actually, I'm 99% sure that picture on Sarona's site is the old Specter Werkes hood, and that picture was taken from a GM High Tech Performance article or perhaps from Specter's old site (note you can see the car has the Specter fender flares).

If you click on "View Details" there are a couple of other pictures on Sarona's site. Looks like the vents aren't really vents, so there would be some work required to finish them:
http://www.sarona.com/media/images/2138%202003-2007_custom_cadillac_cts_hood_body_kit_wing_roof-spoilers_sarona_new_york.jpg

http://www.sarona.com/media/images/2138%202003-2007_custom_cadillac_cts_hood_body_kit_wing_roof-spoilers_sarona.jpg

I'm not a body work guy, but I'm thinking that would take some pretty serious hours to cleanly open up the vents and make them look good. And you would have modify the underside of the hood, too, so that air could actually get to the vents.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-20-2014, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't the location of those vents naturally help with the air coming through the rad?

Bio248
05-20-2014, 11:24 AM
yes, similar to a v-mount intercooler setup.

i'd love something like the extreme composite hood (no vents), but in aluminum. i can't stand fiberglass hoods.

grocerygetter
05-20-2014, 02:01 PM
wonder if you could run that and a twin cone filter intake like off the C5 vettes? hmmm

bestlude
05-20-2014, 06:52 PM
in for a group buy if its available

Goosecaddy05
05-20-2014, 07:10 PM
will a holley high ram intake fit under this hood?

54inches
05-20-2014, 08:40 PM
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10395845_10202978377358539_6037150003398043846_n.j pg

4doortypels
05-21-2014, 07:06 AM
will a holley high ram intake fit under this hood?

Exactly why im wanting the hood

grocerygetter
05-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Maybe a medium ram

runsfromdacops
05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
I wish they made a bigger version of this hood. I like the look but I want to fit a high ram

05CTSV
05-27-2014, 02:21 PM
I wish they made a bigger version of this hood. I like the look but I want to fit a high ram

I had contacted Extreme Composites a couple weeks ago about creating a larger cowl hood. I was trying to mock up how much space was needed for the Holley or Edelbrock intakes, both are around 10 inches tall. I got a response that if he had 10-20 firm orders with deposits they could make they hood however you wanted. So if you guys want to get a taller hood contact Jimmy at Extreme Composites, jcox@extremecomposites.com. I'm sure there would be enough interested parties to get some made, right? Maybe he'd even setup another group buy for everyone?

I'm backing out of the idea of the taller intakes, might just spend the extra cash and get a FAST intake later on.

ryridesmotox
05-27-2014, 07:08 PM
Man, if that was like a year down the road, I would totally get one. I just dropped $13k in March on my wedding... Gotta replenish funds.