Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2K4 GTO LS1/T56 in 82 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 2K4 GTO LS1/T56 in 82 Corvette

I swapped a 2K4 GTO LS1 w/ T56 into an 82 C3. The install went pretty smooth, the only hickups were that for the GTO accy drive and low mount alt you need to notch the drivers side motor mount or you have to remove the alu support bracket on the back of the alt. I purposely left that in place so the alt doesn't flex and results in belt issues.

The exhaust are some reworked chinese stainless 4th gen F body headers, collectors opened up to 3"-> 2.75" via a little narrower merge style.

The GTO T56 needs a new shifter, the rear offset unit can not be used. Also, the shift cup on the shifter rod is wrong, it has an offset to the rear. You need an F body shift cup. The other issue is the GTO throwout bearing, it uses a hard line with a small funky quick disconnect. Easiest is wapping for a normal throwout and a remote bleeder kit.

For the fans, I wired it all up for 2 fans but am only using 1. This triggers a check engine light, you have to either gronud or complete the switching side of the circuit by inserting a relay.

I'm setting it up for an LS7 cartridge MAF in a 4" tube so the maf tables will need some tweaking.

Pics of the install:

Fabricating air intake, a brake cooling type hose will supply cold air to the filter when all is done.

Stands out like a sore thumb so I coated it with some nice texture finish stuff, looks a bit like the oem plastics now

NOTE!! the water pump is drilled for a stock water temp sender, I figured this was a convenient location for it. Also, the rad hose has a small fabricated conenction [piece with a T-ed off fitting in it, I used it to hook up the steam line from the engine. Do not block off the steam line on these. This engine is set up with a remote oil filter mount that I also modified to hold the oil pressure and temp senders.

cartridge maf

older pics of install:

cags removed, erverse lockout blocked off, I removed the plug later and hooked up the lockout. It's too easy to catch R when going to 5

header clearance is OK

I added ehat sleeves to the spark plug wires, also heat shielding around cables and heater hoses. EGR stuff is all blocked off

The hot water valve was removed, I installed a 4 port one from the GTO the engine came out off. It constantly bypasses the water in the system instead of blocking the route. I mounted it low on the frame, under the heater box.

notched crossmember

tranny mount

wix filter/regulator.

the outside port is the feed, the center the return, contrary of many pics on the internet. This is WRONG!

It runs also.... throttle response will be better when I have the MAF tables set up for the 100mm tube & cartridge maf combo.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics look great

Do you have the part number for that offset shifter? I'm installing a GTO LS2/T56 into my '68 Corvette.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good swap going, Question, on Pictures #3 and #4.. I see you have SS Braided lines to the PS resovoir, what type of SS hose are you using and what are you using to secure it?

Thanks

BC
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

There's nothing securing the line, it's the return to the reservoir, low pressure there, almost free flowing. The black is a little shrink wrap but it's there mostly for keeping the frays from sticking out, it does little to no securing. The hose was on so tight, it will never come off. It's -6AN russel or aeroquip hose, not sure what box o hose I got that section from.

The offset shifter is original to a GTO (with the white plastic cover), you need to discard it if you have a GTO, you'll need an F body shifter and a shifter cup! without the cup, the shifter will not engage all gears properly.

Also, you will not need to wire up the ECU control to the alt. The GTO uses a std. CS type 140amp (I think) alt, there is no control on it whatsoever

Quick Reply: 2K4 GTO LS1/T56 in 82 Corvette