Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattlin' noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattlin' noise

I know this sounds like kind of a vague thread....but maybe somebody has experienced this. At low RPMs and at low speeds (i.e. driving through a parking lot) I'm getting some kind of rattling noise coming from under the car....up around where the tranny/y-pipe/ is. It's especially bad when the car is cold. Will do it whether clutch is engaged or not. Seems especially prounounced when I'm just at the point of engaging the cluch though. Won't do it though if I'm not on the gas at all. Seems to go away once the car gets up above 10mph. My hypothesis would be that something is lose under there and that the initial shock of accleration/clutch engaging is making it rattle. I know this is a total shot in the dark kind of thing here....just thought maybe somebody has experienced something similar and could shed some light on this before I crawl my *** under the car and search for a needle in a haystack.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I would try banging on every heat shield you can find near the exhaust system with your fist. See if that duplicates the noise. I've had to modify some heat sheilds to rid myself of rattles.

Also, it may be the sleeve ring of your O2 sensors vibrating. Mine does that, I've taped them up but they still vibrate some. That's not quite like the sound you're describing though, mine is only at idle and only after the system is warm. Kinda the oppsite of yours.

For your's I'd guess either heat shield or a pipe hitting the floor somewhere. Try just shaking your whole exhaust around while under your car and see if you can get it to make the noise.....
Old 03-25-2004, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

02 Sensor or your throw out bearing
Old 03-25-2004, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well...I just replaced both downstream O2 sensors a few weeks ago. It sounds a lot like a heat shield or something of that sort. I would hate to think its a bad throw out bearing...had that replaced around 40K ago. Any other symptoms with bad TO bearing??
Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKKNIGHTWS.6
02 Sensor or your throw out bearing
Why is it that some O2 sensors make this noise and some don't? Even wrapped, mine still do. It started after the cam, and you can hear the noise come and go with the lope of the cam. It's really not bad, you can't hear it inside the car, but standing near the car you can. If you give it just enough gas to smooth the idle, it goes away........