PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Washed My Car - Won't Start??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Just Washed My Car - Won't Start??

Everytime I wash my car (it happened twice now) the security light goes on and it wont even turn over. Is there a connection possibly getting wet that I can check? I did not wash under the hood, just exterior. Last time it happened I just let it set overnight and it started right up. The problem is I need to get it inside asap cause its supposed to storm later tonight and I CANT let it sit outside. Thanks in advance for the help
Old 03-25-2004, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Anybody??
Old 03-25-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

There's lots of electrical connections you could check... I'd start with the PCM harness. Then ignition system.
Does anything electrical look like it got wet?

You might try using a hair dryer or something similar to "dry" some of your electrical connectors. Especially ones that are in locations that might get wet.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, nothing got wet, I used compressed air to blow all the connectors out just in case, but still nothing. Does anyone know a fix to the pass key II BS. I heard grounding a wire out on the BCM will fix it but Im not sure, and cant find a sure answer anywhere.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

I just got it started, it sat for about an hour, then fired right up - WTF??
Old 03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mbrZ28
I just got it started, it sat for about an hour, then fired right up - WTF??

I had this same problem with my 98 right after I got it, ended up being the hole under the PCM, the rubber part was pulled out and was letting water in under the dash and getting on some of the wires wet...

Some times in hard rains my car would just shut the fuel pump off and the security light would come on. And I would roll to a stop… not a good thing with spring coming you never know when your going to be a down poor on the interstate and your fuel pump turns off.

I also had this problem at the car wash... It was under warranty then and took to the dealer and they said nothing they could find was leaking but when I would feel under the dash behind the radio it would be damp.

When the security system on the car is tripped or is in any way not working “getting wet. The car automatically does a set of things… one is shuts the fuel pump off so if someone was the brake in to the car they could not get it started. I think once it’s tripped and even if the water is gone and it’s not shorted out any more the car will still not start because it’s on a timer? 30min maybe? That’s how long mine would last.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

I had something similar in my 1995 Z28 - but it happenend all the time. It was that the security key was not making a good connection in the keyhole to register the black security thingy. So, I measured the resistance of the key (it is different for each key) then went to radio shack and bought resistors to match it. I then cut the lines that went into the ignition, and placed the resistors inline there. Started up everytime. But no key security.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah same here, my key got wet, got the connections wet and took about 15 min to dry out