Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My winter Mamo build is (mostly) done!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My winter Mamo build is (mostly) done!

Gotta gloat a bit after probably hundreds of hours of work on this thing this winter...

Car: '99 Formula WS6 A4 ~35K miles

Previous setup (cam + boltons):
ARH 1-7/8" headers + catted Y
Magnaflow catback
Flowtech Streetsweeper HT - 228/232 .612/.600 111 lsa
LS6 intake / Shaner S2 TB / Stock descreened MAF / SLP Blackwing lid
42# Racetronix injectors
Yank SS3600

The car made 365/353 with the above mods on what I think was a VERY stingy dyno. I'm almost certain it would have broken 400 on a dynojet. I never took it to the track, but I wish I did. The car felt really strong to me, but after having the above mods for a few years, I got tired of the cold start issues and mild surging at low RPM. Granted, there was probably some wiggle room left in the tune but I decided to go all the way this winter with a full H/C/I package from Mr. Mamo, otherwise known as "sensei" to me. My goal was better driveability with more power as an added bonus. I think the tight 111lsa of the old cam was the main culprit of the driveability issues.

New setup:
AFR215's - Mamofied w/8019 springs, 2.055 intake valves, milled to 61.5cc (~11.4:1 CR)
Mamo ported fast 102 / NW 102 TB
Mamo spec'd cam - 227/227 .613/.613 114+1 lsa
Halltech/Powrmaf MAF sensor / Fasttoys 104mm lid
Cloyes Hex-a-just
LS2 water pump
Yella Terra 1.7 ultralites
ARP head bolts / cometic gaskets
Comp short travel hydraulic link bar lifters / custom length Manton pushrods
Racetronix fuel pump
OEM style Fast fuel rails / 42# Bosch injectors (skinny style to fit the fast 102)
JAAM ram air kit
SJM ABS/TCS/cruise delete / line lock
Widened rear wheels to 10.5" 275/40 and 315/35 Nitto NT05's with 1" H&R wheel spacers / fenders rolled thanks to 69TA

I started on this thing at the end of last December and after numerous issues that Tony held my hand through, I finally just fired it up over the weekend. I'm sure anybody who has ever dealt with Mr. Mamo will also tell you, he is the man! Customer service is literally out of this world good. Seriously. We've got a handful of phone calls and literally 350+ emails back and forth. We were even emailing back and forth on Christmas eve fer crying out loud! He's not cheap but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Crappy cell pic (once I get this thing outta the shop I'll get some better pictures):

Crappy low-light vid (second start, had a massive trans cooler leak on the first):

I hope to get it dyno tuned in the next few weeks...
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

im soooo jealous!!! good work man. Keep the updates coming
Old 04-10-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been waitng for some numbers from this build. I'm anxious to see what it puts down. Looks like a killer setup. You should be very proud.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anxious to see numbers as well
Old 04-10-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow.

Sd tune too. You're clearly going all out. What kind of #'s/track times are you aiming at? I'm curious to see how close to 500 you get.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
Wow.

Sd tune too. You're clearly going all out. What kind of #'s/track times are you aiming at? I'm curious to see how close to 500 you get.
Nope, Halltech 102mm MAF. I don't think I'll be getting close to the 500 mark with this small-ish cam, but I don't really give a crap about dyno numbers, either... I will take it to the track this spring/summer just to see what it'll do, but I built this car as a street warrior.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's going to be one hell of a street warrior. Did Tony give you any ideas on what he think she'll put down on the dyno and at the track?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
It's going to be one hell of a street warrior. Did Tony give you any ideas on what he think she'll put down on the dyno and at the track?
Negative. I didn't even ask, though. I'll get his thoughts when I get closer to dyno day.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

When is the dyno day?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Don't have anything scheduled yet... I want to install some rear suspension safety stuff first (which I just ordered) - driveshaft loop, TA relocation crossmember, and a couple other things.

I've got to talk to Fran @ RPM in Delaware to see what their schedule is. I'm hoping for next weekend.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

more pictures dammit
Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Launching!

In for pics and results. I plan on using his services on my new motor when I get back from Afghanistan.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Tony took the first two pics on his bench 2500 miles from me...

intake...

checking wipe pattern...

whoops! Here's what happens when you have a shitty torque wrench...

That's about all I've got right now till I get this thing outta the shop...
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guys,

Thought I would chime in quickly here regarding the goals of this build. It clearly wasn't for bragging rights on the dyno....in fact consider the cam I chose for Rob's build is notably smaller than the cam he was formerly running.

Bottom line is this build is aimed at producing gobs of usable power (with good low/midrange torque), excellent street manners with no cam surge issues at all, extremely crisp throttle response and excellent throttle tip in (often referred to as "roll on" if your into high performance bikes).

Bottom line, Rob wanted a no compromise package (with no annoying trade-offs) that would have a really wide torque and power curve. Think of it like a stock engine on steroids and with its optimized breathing ability (with a really efficient set of heads and a killer induction package), a combination that in spite of all its user friendly attributes would still be able to punch a pretty stout number....extremely stout when you consider the wider scope of this engines abilities. Arguably the "have your cake and eat it too" scenario with a fun to drive, dare I say docile, yet very powerful "well rounded" package being the end result.

Alot of guys I speak to want something similar (a powerful engine with no downsides), but like any have your cake and eat it too scenario, the only real downside is cost. The only way it can happen without increasing displacement (also very costly) is building a really efficient smaller engine and sweating over all the little details that can add 5-10 HP here and 3-4 HP there.

Regarding dyno #'s (something I hate speculating on due to the dozens of variables that effect those figures including the actual dyno and the test cell itself), I would say with a high degree of confidence that if Rob's car was an M6 with a reasonably light clutch/flywheel combo that I would anticipate this car would roll about 475 - 485 RWHP and 430+ RWTQ. Problem is Rob's car is an auto and on average that will knock about 25-30 RWHP off the table.....but auto's have another huge variable and that is the converter itself so you can see those figures fluctuate even more based on the efficiency of the converter itself and believe me when i tell you that some are alot more efficient than others. The real test would be to get back on the same dyno as before regardless of how stingy or friendly it might have been to see how we have improved the overall power and torque curve. If we pick up a significant amount of bottom end power, improve the drivability a great deal, and make more peak power (with a smaller cam) we have certainly achieved our goals.

Anyway....I'm very much looking forward to the results of Rob's combination as well. Its been a long road as most of these larger endeavors are, but the end results usually justify all the time (and money) invested.

Cheers,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-10-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Very nice! In for numbers..
Old 04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
but auto's have another huge variable and that is the converter itself so you can see those figures fluctuate even more based on the efficiency of the converter itself and believe me when i tell you that some are alot more efficient than others. The real test would be to get back on the same dyno as before regardless of how stingy or friendly it might have been to see how we have improved the overall power and torque curve.
Cheers,
Tony
Tony,
Just curious... if the pulls are done in third gear with the converter locked, how would efficiency play into it?

I MAY take the car out to where it was dyno'd before to get an A/B comparison, but that will likely be a ways off... if it happens at all.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

Very very cool
In for numbers
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by Rickenbackerman
Tony,
Just curious... if the pulls are done in third gear with the converter locked, how would efficiency play into it?

I MAY take the car out to where it was dyno'd before to get an A/B comparison, but that will likely be a ways off... if it happens at all.
If you lock the converter (and it properly locks up) it does eliminate alot of the efficiency variable.....at that point the only variable left (comparing different converters) would be the total weight and diameter of the converter and how much power was required to accelerate that mass (much like a heavy clutch/flywheel combo versus a lighter one).

I take it the original dyno location is a hike from you?

-Tony
Old 04-10-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Dont mean to hijack but I sent you a PM awhile back Tony. Never heard back, if theres a better way to contact you let me know please. On a side note I wish I had the cash to go as all out as you did OP. The track/dyno results will certainly solidify the phrase, "you get what you pay for".
Old 04-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by mac62989
Dont mean to hijack but I sent you a PM awhile back Tony. Never heard back, if theres a better way to contact you let me know please. On a side note I wish I had the cash to go as all out as you did OP. The track/dyno results will certainly solidify the phrase, "you get what you pay for".
I respond to a half a dozen PM's a day on average.....sometimes more on the "busier" days. Im pretty **** about covering everyone that reaches out to me, usually the same day if Im not buried in a dyno test or some other large project where the hands of time evaporate (and that happens quite often honestly....lol).

The PM's on this site are hit and miss....especially lately where sometimes it can take almost 45 seconds to send a message. Anyway, if I dropped the ball I apologize, but there is just as good a chance I never received it IMO.

Resend what you sent and I will get back to you within 24 hours I assure you.

Also, reread what I described concerning the goals of this build. Track times weren't even on the menu.....LOL (not something we tried to target the package around at least). In fact....I cant swear to it but I want to say track times were never part of any of our discussions. While no excuses will need to be made in that department (I suspect the car will be capable of mid elevens in a full weight F-Body), its the explosive street performance (and improved driving manners) he was looking for and in this particular case, the OP's buttmeter and the improved fun factor of the car will be a better barometer of money being well spent or not. Coincidentally, Im helping another customer right now who could care less about street manners or cam surge.....he wants a hardcore lope and lots of top end power.....could care less how the engine behaves below 4000 RPM's. That combo I spec'ed a much larger more aggressive cam and a larger cylinder head as well. Track times were important to that individual and I tailored the package around his goals accordingly. Different strokes for different folks but not everyone is hanging their hats on dyno and lower ET numbers. I try to help whoever I work with fine tune and hopefully achieve their goals (informing them if they are within reason), regardless of how aggressive, or how mild the package that floats their boat might be. Some folks have goals that IMO aren't in the cards with the budget they have shared with me....I try to help those individuals realize they either have to scale back their goals or save up a bit longer which is what I typically recommend.

BTW, kudos to Rob for being extremely analytical and detail oriented thru out the build....it was his first hardcore effort at some of the blueprinting and detailed assembly an engine of this caliber requires. And I also give him credit for keeping his head head high thru some very frustrating moments shall we say (having to do triple work to be absolutely sure there wasn't a problem and everything was perfect). Granted I did get a PM from him once about a shot gun and how big a hole it would potentially make in one of his pistons.....LOL

So with a good tune and a little good fortune (it never hurts!) I hope Rob will have some good things to report when the smoke clears, and hopefully a good looking dyno sheet as well.

-Tony

PS....Mac62989, another way to contact me is by phone. My direct line at AFR is 661-705-8508 but I might be buried in the R&D room so leave a message if I dont pick up.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: My winter Mamo build is (mostly) done!