Racer's Lounge - wrx noise... any ideas?

View Full Version : wrx noise... any ideas?

RADEoN
04-10-2012, 01:11 PM
this is my buddies wrx, we initially rebuilt the motor (used shortblock), then about 700 miles later, it started making this sound. it sporadically threw a check engine light for Cyl 1 misfire, but the consensus is the ecu was confused by the lightweight flywheel.

There's also oil dripping out of the exhaust rapidly, and it blows white smoke when it is revved.

He has another car, and the only reason this car was moved was because it needed off the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E99AVuxsHw

GTOSE
04-10-2012, 03:59 PM
That's broken.

And it because it's a subaru, it could be quite a few things. Did you do a compression test?

xFLG KING PIN
04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
stick a fork in it and see.

RADEoN
04-10-2012, 08:15 PM
That's broken.

And it because it's a subaru, it could be quite a few things. Did you do a compression test?

It's very broken. No compression test yet. Although I tried starting it to move it again, and it barely starts now, and has cylinder 3 misfire cel.

01BlueSS1995
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
I would say something is definitely wrong. but dont quote me.
I would check the cylinders throwing misfire codes first but it looks like youre going to have to tear it down either way! Goodluck

hendrixx
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
lolol white smoke = burning antifreeze, dripping oil in the exhaust? jesus those boxers can be deadly..

probably cracked something in half or theres just a big hole that shouldnt be there somewhere in that motor hahah good luck though.

chrysler kid
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Turbo is blown.

kahunaking
04-10-2012, 11:09 PM
I am quite familiar with subaru's having done swaps and conversions, and owning quite a few sti's wrx's and the such. That shortblock is toast from the sound, I would say spun bearing.

You can pick up a factory shortblock from the dealer for around 1800 after taxes.

A cylinder 1 misfire would not be from the LW FW, It would be all 4 cyl and or random multiple cylinder misfire codes. If its a single cylinder and the coil and injector are working it is probably a cracked ringland or piston.

Any other questions you can pm me and I can call you on the phone.

Gaunt
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I am quite familiar with subaru's having done swaps and conversions, and owning quite a few sti's wrx's and the such. That shortblock is toast from the sound, I would say spun bearing.

You can pick up a factory shortblock from the dealer for around 1800 after taxes.

A cylinder 1 misfire would not be from the LW FW, It would be all 4 cyl and or random multiple cylinder misfire codes. If its a single cylinder and the coil and injector are working it is probably a cracked ringland or piston.

This man knows, I can vouch :lol:

RADEoN
04-11-2012, 08:13 AM

I appreciate it man. It's my roommates car, and long story short, me and a friend, and his Subaru friend rebuilt the car (he's on here) 3 weeks after he got this thing. Oil starvation, and it threw a bearing, then a rod through the block. It was flatbedded to his shop in OH, where, weekend 1, we tore it down, figured out what was wrong and what parts we ordered, weekend 2, we assembled the shortblock he bought (800 bucks with 60,000 alleged miles), and weekends 3 and 4, we assembled the car and got it running right.

After we got it built, we put oil in it, got it nice and hot, and drained the oil, changed the filter, (to make sure there were no metal shavings we didn't miss) and it ran fine for about 400-700 miles, and while driving down the road (brand new clutch and flywheel, still breaking it in), at about 4000 RPM, the car banged, surged, and sputtered... and that's all she wrote for it.

He owes about 4k on the car, which is what he's trying to sell it for (which is hard because of the spun rod bearing, and it has a flood title that happened when the car was about a year or 2 old, 45,000 miles ago), and he's paying 150 a month insurance on the thing. So here's the cost list:

Paid 9,500 for the car
Paid 550 for new tires

Spun bearing in block 1

around 2,500 for used shortblock, all accommodating updates, fixing odds and ends, gaskets, another 600 for a new ACT 9.6 lb flywheel, Competition Clutches stage 2 clutch

few hundred miles later, bang. dude sold him a bad shortblock.

RADEoN
04-11-2012, 08:17 AM
This man knows, I can vouch :lol:

i love these cars man, and yours looks sick... but this boxer design has seriously shied be away from owning a subaru. a guy I work with with an 09 sti (stock other than an exhaust, which is an SPT catback, purchased with the car and installed by the dealer) spun a rod bearing, they said it was because he didn't change the oil, he presented them with oil change receipts, and then they said it was because the car was "mildly modified"

_JB_
04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
After we got it built, we put oil in it, got it nice and hot, and drained the oil, changed the filter, (to make sure there were no metal shavings we didn't miss) and it ran fine for about 400-700 miles, and while driving down the road (brand new clutch and flywheel, still breaking it in), at about 4000 RPM, the car banged, surged, and sputtered... and that's all she wrote for it.

A bang, oil and coolant coming from the exhaust? A part of the block is probably not where its supposed to be. At first I thought maybe a head gasket, but probably not while accompanied with a bang.

AronZ28
04-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Man your buddy got burned buying one with a salvage title for $9500, unless it was only a couple years old.

02BLACKTAWS6
04-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I see this happen WAY too often.