Racer's Lounge - workout/diet guru's: need personalized help - long post

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 03:56 PM
I need some personalized advice/help on my workout/dieting, i've searched the internet but there's SO much to read it's overwhelming, and that's after filtering through all the bullshit on muscle forums :rolleyes:

a little over a month ago I decided to get back into exercising, and gaining weight/muscle mass more or less. I used to exercise regularly a couple of years ago, but pretty aimlessly and just to "stay in shape". I'm 25, 6 foot tall, and have weighed about 145-150 for as long as i can remember, I obviously burn through whatever i eat fairly fast (generally garbage, currently changing that). I don't look bones thin, but i could def. stand to gain some muscle. I guess my goal would be right around the 165-170 mark, not huge, but fit and strong.

After a little research i bought a tub of "universal real gains", which is a weight gainer that generally gets great reviews across the board. here's the nutrition facts:

Real Gains Supplement Facts

Serving Size: 3.5 Scoops
Servings Per Container: 11
Amount Per Serving Daily Value
Calcium 316mg 32%
Calories 610
Calories from Fat 53
Cholesterol 97mg 32%
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%
Iron 2mg 11%
L-Alanine 4.59g *
L-Arginine 2.23g *
L-Aspartic Acid 10.04g *
L-Cysteine 2.35g *
L-Glutamic Acid 11.53g *
L-Glutamine 4.46g *
L-Glycine 1.74g *
L-Histidine 1.86g *
L-Isoleucine 5.83g *
L-Leucine 10.29g *
L-Lysine 8.55g *
L-Methionine 1.98g *
L-Phenylalanine 3.22g *
L-Proline 5.21g *
L-Serine 4.46g *
L-Threonine 6.07g *
L-Tryptophan 1.61g *
L-Tyrosine 2.85g *
L-Valine 5.45g *
Potassium 503mg 14%
Protein 52g 104%
Saturated Fat 3g 14%
Sodium 169mg 7%
Sugars 5g
Total Carbohydrate 87g 29%
Total Fat 6g 9%
Trans Fat 0g

My first question is, what is bulking? This is what i always come across when searching online. I understand what the word means, but when people bulk are they actually just eating so much that they get fat, and then start a cut cycle that burns the fat resulting in muscle? For some reason, this doesn't sound like something i want to do. Maybe i'm hugely misinformed, but can't i just build muscle/mass all in one shot without going the "bulking/making myself fat then fixing it" routine?

My second question is, what is the easiest way to figure out exactly HOW MUCH i need to eat to gain weight? calories, carbs, protien etc. One rule that seems to remain constant is protein intake needs to be about 1g per body pound, per day.

here's what I have been doing:

for the past month I have been working out every other day, sometimes more depending on how i feel. I try and lift heavy, and I find myself taking very short breaks between sets and only spending maybe 30-45 minutes in the gym, rather than taking long breaks and sitting in the gym for 2 hours. I always leave feeling like i have nothing left which is good i'm guessing. Sometimes i feel a little sore the next day, sometimes not, i'm not sure what that means.

I have been eating two eggs, some bacon, and milk every morning since starting the work out. Lunch is still crap, and dinner is pretty random (sometimes chicken, sometimes PB&J on whole grain, sometimes frozen meals, sometimes eat out). I've been taking one scoop of weight gainer with breakfast, and one scoop with dinner on off days, on workout days i take one scoop with breakfast, and 3.5 scoops (full serving) post workout at night.

I am up to 155lbs right now, so i have seen a little improvement, but i still feel like i'm going at this blind, and need a set schedule. I'm worried i'm not getting to my full potential, like i'm still not eating enough and this weight gainer is somewhat going to waste. If you were me, what would you do to achieve the goal, between what to eat, taking this protein shake, workout more or less?

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 04:06 PM
What you need to do is eat.

Eat some more.

Then eat again.

Go to the gym, train how you want and whatever split you like. Don't get consumed in all the stuff out there about training and diets. Your new to it and your body is too, you'll see results quick.

Forget the real gains shake. Rookie kids buy bulking replacement shakes and skip real meals with food, which is better than a shake.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 04:16 PM
What you need to do is eat.

Eat some more.

Then eat again.

Go to the gym, train how you want and whatever split you like. Don't get consumed in all the stuff out there about training and diets. Your new to it and your body is too, you'll see results quick.

Forget the real gains shake. Rookie kids buy bulking replacement shakes and skip real meals with food, which is better than a shake.

I understand real food is always better, but what if i'm not replacing meals with it, but rather taking it on top of meals?

it seems like a quick/easy way to get the extra calories/protien i'd need to build muscle, but idk.

EDIT: forgot, i also got an app called "fitness pal" and it's got about every food you could imagine in it's database with all nutritional info, and you add whatever you ate to your "diary" and it tallies up the amount of calories you ate in the day, and what your target amout of calories is to get to a certain weight. I chose "gain 1lb per week" and it's saying i need to shoot for 2800 calories per day, does this sound about accurate or do i need more or less?

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I am pretty anti-bulking shakes. Because A) they suck to drink and B)you are so full after drinking one, you'll be happy to eat 3hrs later.

And to answer your questions:

My first question is, what is bulking? This is what i always come across when searching online. I understand what the word means, but when people bulk are they actually just eating so much that they get fat, and then start a cut cycle that burns the fat resulting in muscle? For some reason, this doesn't sound like something i want to do. Maybe i'm hugely misinformed, but can't i just build muscle/mass all in one shot without going the "bulking/making myself fat then fixing it" routine?

You can clean bulk and you can dirty bulk. Clean bulking is eating foods you may eat on a cut diet but in larger portions. Chicken, sweet potatoes, turkey, brown rice, veggies, oatmeal etc. Things with good macronutrients, low sugars or simple carbs and basically not junk food. So, a dirty bulk is the opposite - you eat whatever.

In your case, since you are new to it mostly. I would just eat and train, don't freak out about stuff but rather just go to the gym and have fun. From my experience, you can't get big without getting "big". And vice versa with cutting. I just did a show and had a 12 week cut, I lost 12lbs fat and 4lbs lean mass. And in theory/common sense, it's accurate to assume you're not going to lose some without the other.

My second question is, what is the easiest way to figure out exactly HOW MUCH i need to eat to gain weight? calories, carbs, protien etc. One rule that seems to remain constant is protein intake needs to be about 1g per body pound, per day.

Figure out your BMR and BMI. After that, write down what you eat each day for a week. Then calculate the macro nutrients for that week and for your next week you up that intake like ~30%. The two biggest macro's you want are carbs and protein. You'll see the biggest gains if you can drive down a monster carb meal after workouts. I promise you that. You can mix simple (sugars) and complex post workout, but get them in you.

One thing you didn't ask, supplements. Just my .02 but you should really only need a BCAA (post/intra workout) of some sort. I like BPi's BLOX or Scivation Xtend, cheap and they work well. And get a pre-workout, that will boost your gym motivation and focus. Grab yourself some DSN Craze and never look back.

You could get a protein powder but my experience is helping me transition from that to spending $50 on red meats that serve a better nutrient purpose.

Wheww, I'm done.

XtremeBBQ
04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
+1 on real food.
save your money from shakes and bars and supps and use it to eat real, whole, natural if you can afford it, foods.

the reason youre not gaining as much as you'd like is because you have to know your body's maintenance calroie intake, thats the amount of kcal you need to retain your current weight. youre not going to loose or gain weight unless you either have a deficit or surplus of kcal daily.
shoot for 500-1000cal over maintance a day then work from there. just to show you how youre not eating enough.. for your breakfast your taking in about 14g of protein w/o the shake scoop. i eat 7 eggs for breakfast then follow that with another real meal in less than 2hrs.
i'd be surprised if your taking in 1500cal a day of real food. if you workout with that intake youre not feeding your body after tearing it down and will actually loose muscle. (think of how long distance runners look.)
check out fitday.com, it will help you plan your meals.
try and eat as many smaller meals as you can broken throughout the day. i shoot for 6minimum and try to get 8.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 07:20 PM
+1 on real food.
save your money from shakes and bars and supps and use it to eat real, whole, natural if you can afford it, foods.

the reason youre not gaining as much as you'd like is because you have to know your body's maintenance calroie intake, thats the amount of kcal you need to retain your current weight. youre not going to loose or gain weight unless you either have a deficit or surplus of kcal daily.
shoot for 500-1000cal over maintance a day then work from there. just to show you how youre not eating enough.. for your breakfast your taking in about 14g of protein w/o the shake scoop. i eat 7 eggs for breakfast then follow that with another real meal in less than 2hrs.
i'd be surprised if your taking in 1500cal a day of real food. if you workout with that intake youre not feeding your body after tearing it down and will actually loose muscle. (think of how long distance runners look.)
check out fitday.com, it will help you plan your meals.
try and eat as many smaller meals as you can broken throughout the day. i shoot for 6minimum and try to get 8.

you eat 7 eggs a day for breakfast???? WTF do you cook that in, a panda express size wok??! Now what is the difference between the protein that you get from 7 eggs, versus my two eggs and the protien drink? That may get too in depth.

and it's not that i'm not gaining as much as i'd like, i mean i gained 5lbs in less than a month, but i have no idea if it could be better than that, or if i will continue to gain, as i'm just winging it really. I edited my last post, about the app i just got, recommending 2830 calories per day, does that sound about right?

i'm not doubting you guys or anything, but it just seems logical to use that universal real gains between meals to actually achieve the high calorie/carb/protien goal, i mean the stuff is loaded with it. But i guess after i run out of it i'll just spend that money on more food if that's the way to do it.

EDIT: that fitday.com site is exactly like the app i got.

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:21 PM
These guys are right. I was in the same boat as you recently. I weighed 162 and hadn't lifted in years. I started eating everything in sight and got on a mass gainer. I put on a ton of weight in a short time. I'm now 194, but my body fat increased 2-3% and while that doesn't sound like much, it's definitely noticeable. I put on more weight then I wanted to in my gut. I've cut the weight gainer completely and I'm eating as many real meals as I can. When I can't, I do a shake. I start to cut in a few weeks and I can't wait to get rid of some of this fat.

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
You definitely need more than 2830 a day. Im taking 4000 just to maintain.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 07:26 PM
These guys are right. I was in the same boat as you recently. I weighed 162 and hadn't lifted in years. I started eating everything in sight and got on a mass gainer. I put on a ton of weight in a short time. I'm now 194, but my body fat increased 2-3% and while that doesn't sound like much, it's definitely noticeable. I put on more weight then I wanted to in my gut. I've cut the weight gainer completely and I'm eating as many real meals as I can. When I can't, I do a shake. I start to cut in a few weeks and I can't wait to get rid of some of this fat.

interesting. so you think you wouldn't have got that unwanted fat if you were to just stick with lots of healthy foods, while still gaining the weight you wanted?

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I know i would have gained fat, but I think it wouldn't be quite the amount I gained. I wanted to gain weight quick so I could cut and be bigger but ready for the summer. So I did a dirty bulk. Had I clean bulked I still could've gained the weight, but I would have taken longer. The one good thing about my bulk is that my strength increased with my size whereas some people gain size but strength very slowly increases.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
i see. and 4000 calories is a lot... time to go to the store i guess :(

what's some good QUICK/EASY things to eat to achieve such high numbers? I spend alot of time driving around, so i don't always have a nice big dining table to lay everything out and feast down.

GTOSE
04-10-2012, 07:45 PM

what's some good QUICK/EASY things to eat to achieve such high numbers? I spend alot of time driving around, so i don't always have a nice big dining table to lay everything out and feast down.

Best thing to do is to proportion out the meals at the beginning of the week, and nuke them/eat them every day. If you try and make them every day you start to lose interest/get lazy.

Speed Density knows what he's talking about, he helped me out with my diet big time and I gained 20lbs since the beginning of the year. My diet consists of about 7 meals which include chicken, rice, vegetables, turkey, tuna, and a protein shake here and there.

Food is the most important thing when it comes to getting bigger.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 07:48 PM
Best thing to do is to proportion out the meals at the beginning of the week, and nuke them/eat them every day. If you try and make them every day you start to lose interest/get lazy.

Speed Density knows what he's talking about, he helped me out with my diet big time and I gained 20lbs since the beginning of the year. My diet consists of about 7 meals which include chicken, rice, vegetables, turkey, tuna, and a protein shake here and there.

Food is the most important thing when it comes to getting bigger.

yeah i'm thinking make everything on sunday and go from there. You're around my size, or were... whats your calorie intake look like? And is it done solely by whole foods?

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree with Gtose. Precooking meals is a great way to do things. Keep in mind also, that you want to eat 6-8 times a day so in reality for a 4000 calorie diet, that's only 500-650 calories per meal which isn't very hard. Just don't hit that number by eating double cheeseburgers.

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
For what it's worth I'm 6'. So you and I are around the same height.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
alright, so i'm aiming for 4k calories, if this is acheived with quality whole foods, i'm guessing the rest of the macro nutrients will fall in place as well and meet my needs, like carbs/protien?

I'll be going to the store tonight, i'm aiming for frozen chicken, tuna, whole grain bread, milk, shit ton of eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, granola bars, fruit/vegetables (frozen ok?), PB&J supplies, any other good sources to look out for?

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Some of these other guys may be a bit more help then me, but I try to keep fruits and veggies fresh, greek yogurt ( awesome source of protein), I do a lot of turkey instead of beef, tuna is very good, peanut butter, and the other stuff you have listed will help. Also for shakes, I've been using myoplex lately, I really like it. 300 calories and 42 grams of protein.

A good shake to make at home of you have time is:
8 oz milk
1 tub of Greek yogurt (sold preportioned by Oikos and Chobani)
2 scoops protein powder

Usually ends up being 60+ grams protein and around 500-700 calories.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Some of these other guys may be a bit more help then me, but I try to keep fruits and veggies fresh, greek yogurt ( awesome source of protein), I do a lot of turkey instead of beef, tuna is very good, peanut butter, and the other stuff you have listed will help. Also for shakes, I've been using myoplex lately, I really like it. 300 calories and 42 grams of protein.

A good shake to make at home of you have time is:
8 oz milk
1 tub of Greek yogurt (sold preportioned by Oikos and Chobani)
2 scoops protein powder

Usually ends up being 60+ grams protein and around 500-700 calories.

see now this is where i get confused. why do this when one serving of the stuff i have shows 610 calories and 52g of protien?

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 08:21 PM
The stuff you are using isn't that bad, its way better than the gainer I was on. But with a shake made at home you can add and subtract ingredients to tailor it to your diet. For example go from skim to whole milk and you get more calories. Add peanut butter and your calories and protein go up. When I make the shake I suggested I use whole milk, whey isolate (higher protein content) and Oikos plain Greek yogurt. It has 83g protein and 700 calories. That is too much protein at one time, but I always say I would rather give my body more than it needs and let it expel what it doesn't instead of not giving it enough.

180ls1
04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Eat big, lift big rest big.

Compound/Multi-Joint lifts are the best for mass. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Bent over rows, Pullups, Cleans, ect you get the point. Not stuff like Tricep curls or bicep curls.

Generally during a bulking phase you want to eat like 200-300 calories a day more then you burn then cutting phase you do the exact opposite. Its easier to gain muscle when you bulk or so they say.

As far as gainers and all that i would just take a whey shake (post workout) which absorbs fast and a casein (pre bed) slow absorbing protein. I dont believe in gainers i just eat more, lots of the gainers are full of simple carbs and cheap carbs that are not so good.

180ls1
04-10-2012, 08:27 PM
alright, so i'm aiming for 4k calories, if this is acheived with quality whole foods, i'm guessing the rest of the macro nutrients will fall in place as well and meet my needs, like carbs/protien?

I'll be going to the store tonight, i'm aiming for frozen chicken, tuna, whole grain bread, milk, shit ton of eggs, cottage cheese, yogurt, granola bars, fruit/vegetables (frozen ok?), PB&J supplies, any other good sources to look out for?

Beans and lintels are great and so are legumes. May i say though eating clean and having 4k calories is extremely tough and your going to be full all the time. They have programs online where you can put in what you eat and they will tell you how much of everything your getting.

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 08:39 PM

Premake your meals. Sunday is when I do mine.

Fwiw. My next 4 weeks looks like this, for the most part. I wake up around 10am, go to bed around 2am.

Breakfast
2 cups raw oats, half cup grapefruit
5 whole eggs, half cup cheese
2 scoops whey
1 pot coffee

Lunch
10oz chicken
1 cup rice
1 cup broccoli

Pre workout
2 rice cakes
2 tbsp PB
1 scoop whey

Post workout
10oz chicken
2 cups rice

Evening snack
1 homeade protein bar, 8oz or so
2 scoop whey

Late meal
10oz steak
1 cup asparagus
1 cup rice

Before bed
1 scoop casein

If I am hungry anytime between I eat, normally I have fishsticks at some point during the day too. I have all my data in a spread sheet with macro numbers etc.

8 days ago I was 157lbs on my cut, post contest. I am now 173 bloated. My goal is 185 in 4 weeks, clean.

Last thing, if you get a bunch of fancy stuff like yogurt, fruits etc you're going to go broke. It adds up. Buy basic stuff, eat the portions you need and you'll be just fine. Set a goal, 4 weeks or something. Get a game plan and do it for that duration, don't quit and don't say oh I don't see a difference. At week one, take pictures and compare them to week 4. You'll be surprised.

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I wish I could get my diet like yours speed density. I really need to work on it.

TXZ28LS1
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Bro,

You definitely need to eat more!! I eat about 6 meals a day. Thats 4 actual meals and 2 protein shakes.

Just eat as clean as possible. I actually weigh my food and all that. Rule of thumb is to get about 1.5 grams of protein per body weight. You just have to eat alot.

Remember, that when you lift to go heavy and use all free weights. Do buy into that kettlebell BS. Free weights and go with all the basic lifts such as flat bench, should press, squats, deadlifts, curls..

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Also, I am about to start Universal Animal Pak and Animal Cuts. Hopefully they help.

TXZ28LS1
04-10-2012, 08:46 PM

Fwiw. My next 4 weeks looks like this, for the most part. I wake up around 10am, go to bed around 2am.

Breakfast
2 scoops whey
1 pot coffee

Lunch
10oz chicken
1 cup rice
1 cup broccoli

Pre workout
2 rice cakes
2 tbsp PB
1 scoop whey

Post workout
10oz chicken
2 cups rice

Evening snack
2 scoop whey

Late meal
10oz steak
1 cup asparagus
1 cup rice

Before bed
1 scoop casein

If I am hungry anytime between I eat, normally I have fishsticks at some point during the day too. I have all my data in a spread sheet with macro numbers etc.

8 days ago I was 157lbs on my cut, post contest. I am now 173 bloated. My goal is 185 in 4 weeks, clean.

Last thing, if you get a bunch of fancy stuff like yogurt, fruits etc you're going to go broke. It adds up. Buy basic stuff, eat the portions you need and you'll be just fine. Set a goal, 4 weeks or something. Get a game plan and do it for that duration, don't quit and don't say oh I don't see a difference. At week one, take pictures and compare them to week 4. You'll be surprised.

BTW, this is the type of diet you need to be. Even if you are not competing. For some people, if you didnt notice Speed Density also weights his food. That way he knows exactly the amount of cal/protein/carbs his body needs..

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Clearly I enjoy this.

OP, your BMR is 1528.4.

That number is your base rate to maintain size through a day. Now factor your training and how hard your body works daily. So, I'd say you should try for ~3200kcals. Again, your going to get big with carbs/pro.

Here is what portioning looks like, just for fun:

http://i44.tinypic.com/15zjlw.jpg

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Speed density, I'm insanely jealous right now. I guess I'll be attempting something like this during my cut.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Breakfast
2 scoops whey
1 pot coffee

Lunch
10oz chicken
1 cup rice
1 cup broccoli

Pre workout
2 rice cakes
2 tbsp PB
1 scoop whey

Post workout
10oz chicken
2 cups rice

Evening snack
2 scoop whey

Late meal
10oz steak
1 cup asparagus
1 cup rice

Before bed
1 scoop casein

you gained 16lbs in 8 days? wow.

you're a busy man in the kitchen on sundays lol. I've never portioned before, so when you say things like "1 cup rice" or "1 cup asparagus", i'm guessing you just made a shit ton of these ingredients, and then just divide it into however many portions you need throughout the week?

I am also no chef by any means, when i do cook it's basic food items. Spaghetti, hamburger helper, omelets, stuff like that (bachelor life lol) so that's another challenge i'm looking at.

any easy chicken recipes without using a grill? Also, when you say "raw oats", you basically eat oatmeal dry? how does that work lol

180ls1
04-10-2012, 09:11 PM

you're a busy man in the kitchen on sundays lol. I've never portioned before, so when you say things like "1 cup rice" or "1 cup asparagus", i'm guessing you just made a shit ton of these ingredients, and then just divide it into however many portions you need throughout the week?

I am also no chef by any means, when i do cook it's basic food items. Spaghetti, hamburger helper, omelets, stuff like that (bachelor life lol) so that's another challenge i'm looking at.

Honestly what he is doing is probably overkill for you. Not to say that its not excellent advice and the best way to go but i would just start eating more and eating better along with lots of heavy weights and compound lifts. As you start to get bigger you will become more motivated and maybe get to his level of diet. The best thing you can do is just give it time to work.

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Speed density, I'm insanely jealous right now. I guess I'll be attempting something like this during my cut.

It was contest prep, so I had to do it.

any easy chicken recipes without using a grill? Also, when you say "raw oats", you basically eat oatmeal dry? how does that work lol

I gained that because I had been dieting for 12 weeks and I bloated up post contest. Sucks kinda LOL. My core is gone and I have boobies.

It takes me like 1.5hr to cook all the chicken, steak, rice, veggies and cut/portion them. Raw oats are like quaker oats in water, microwave them and eat.

And once you build a diet, you cook and just portion it to what you need for each day.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Honestly what he is doing is probably overkill for you. Not to say that its not excellent advice and the best way to go but i would just start eating more and eating better along with lots of heavy weights and compound lifts. As you start to get bigger you will become more motivated and maybe get to his level of diet. The best thing you can do is just give it time to work.

yeah i wasn't planning on copying his routine completely, but i'm def. going to increase everything, I think i mainly want to focus on eggs, chicken and rice. And of course switch things up with oatmeal and yogurt or whatever.

quick question: how often are you guys working out? and for how long? I don't like spending hours in the gym, i lift heavy and very frequently for a short period of time instead, is there any downsides to this?

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I lift 6 days a week. I split my body so I'm working one muscle group a day. I work chest 2 times a week because it is the hardest to develop for me. Usually lift for an hour a day. I lift heavy with about 1.5 min between sets.

GTOSE
04-10-2012, 09:20 PM
yeah i'm thinking make everything on sunday and go from there. You're around my size, or were... whats your calorie intake look like? And is it done solely by whole foods?

I'm still pretty skinny, I was probably around 140 last time you saw me, currently I'm 168. I'd like to be at 185 before my birthday in may.

My calorie intake currently is 3000 of good clean food diet that Tony (Speed Density) built up, and maybe another thousand of crappy food. I've also not had alcohol in about a month, MAYBE a beer, but haven't gotten shitty drunk in a while.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
I lift 6 days a week. I split my body so I'm working one muscle group a day. I work chest 2 times a week because it is the hardest to develop for me. Usually lift for an hour a day. I lift heavy with about 1.5 min between sets.

yeah i have seen the least amount of change in the chest area, most is in the arms/back. I may try and do a 5 day split, taking the weekends off.

I'm still pretty skinny, I was probably around 140 last time you saw me, currently I'm 168. I'd like to be at 185 before my birthday in may.

My calorie intake currently is 3000 of good clean food that Tony (Speed Density) made, and maybe another thousand of crappy food. I've also not had alcohol in about a month, MAYBE a beer, but haven't gotten shitty drunk in a while.

wow good shit. Although the alcohol thing may pose a challenge in my diet :jest:

180ls1
04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
yeah i wasn't planning on copying his routine completely, but i'm def. going to increase everything, I think i mainly want to focus on eggs, chicken and rice. And of course switch things up with oatmeal and yogurt or whatever.

quick question: how often are you guys working out? and for how long? I don't like spending hours in the gym, i lift heavy and very frequently for a short period of time instead, is there any downsides to this?

well during season right now im lucky if i get 3 hours a week in which sucks but if you like to get in and out quick i would try like 6 days maybe like 40 mins like maybe 5 hours a week. Just make sure your properly warm.

like Mon Th pull: wide pullups, rows, bicep curls
Tu Fri push: bench, triceps extension, shoulders
Wed Sat legs core: squats, deadlifts, weighted crunches

Now thats very basic but you get the idea and you would get you in and out quick and those are pretty good exercises for mass.

GTOSE
04-10-2012, 09:28 PM
wow good shit. Although the alcohol thing may pose a challenge in my diet :jest:

Yeah, there's not much point to trying to bulk while drinking a shit ton.

If you're really into it you'll see big gains, if not then you won't see quite as much.

The Mighty Texan
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I would say try and eat clean for sure but honestly when your bulking if you cant eat clean at least eat something, and protein shakes are a good way to squeeze in that extra bit right after a meal or when you can't get a meal right away etc. I'm bulking till a month or two before summer then i'll cut and it adds on body fat but that you can loose later so i don't get too strict really.

One thing that caught my eye was eating 6+ eggs/day. I used to, but do some research and it is a shit ton of cholesterol, granted it is the healthier type of cholesterol it is still way too much, one or two is fine or however many if you take the yoke out but i would advise not consuming that much.

My workouts are about 45-1hr and for bulking heavy lifting low reps, it will be the opposite for cutting along with cardio. The downside is recovery is slower, but you will grow more so its ok. Sounds like you got it :cheers:

p.s. bodybuilding.com has some awesome articles that help, however some of it is just product pushing imo so take it with a grain of salt, there forums are shot to hell for sure but some info at least.

Tyler_PinkertonZ28
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
My arms and back have grown significantly, but my chest is very stubborn. Haha

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Yeah, there's not much point to trying to bulk while drinking a shit ton.

If you're really into it you'll see big gains, if not then you won't see quite as much.

I only drink on the weekends, and it's usually pretty moderate. Next weekend is an exception though :jest: you need to roll out if you're free

I've been very consistent for the past month doing what i've been doing, it's just not been enough obviously. Pretty stoked to put all this new knowledge to the test though

180ls1
04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Id also suggest to start taking fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin and a multi vitamin every day. Thay will help out the heart, joints and just general health. They are fairly inexpensive and east to find.

180ls1
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
I would say try and eat clean for sure but honestly when your bulking if you cant eat clean at least eat something, and protein shakes are a good way to squeeze in that extra bit right after a meal or when you can't get a meal right away etc. I'm bulking till a month or two before summer then i'll cut and it adds on body fat but that you can loose later so i don't get too strict really.

One thing that caught my eye was eating 6+ eggs/day. I used to, but do some research and it is a shit ton of cholesterol, granted it is the healthier type of cholesterol it is still way too much, one or two is fine or however many if you take the yoke out but i would advise not consuming that much.

My workouts are about 45-1hr and for bulking heavy lifting low reps, it will be the opposite for cutting along with cardio. The downside is recovery is slower, but you will grow more so its ok. Sounds like you got it :cheers:

p.s. bodybuilding.com has some awesome articles that help, however some of it is just product pushing imo so take it with a grain of salt, there forums are shot to hell for sure but some info at least.

Good stuff here on watching your cholesterol and on making sure you eat something. Just because you cant eat clean for a meal dosent mean you should skip it. At least eat something otherwise you will be going backwards.

Speed Density
04-10-2012, 09:59 PM
7 eggs isn't that much. If cholesterol scares you get egg whites.

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 11:26 PM
So I just went to the store and got: milk, more eggs, whole grain bread, tuna, pinto beans, lentil beans, brown rice, kashi almond flax bars, bananas, individually wrapped fresh chicken breast, a crap load of yogurt, and some stuff to help cook all of this.

I think I'm off to a good start :jest:

'WHEELS'
04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
And oatmeal.

bderlan
04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Ill tell you what,after a few weeks when you start seeing hard work paying off its definately worth it.i started getting serious with things awhile back and have been steadily putting on weight.but one thing for certain is that going to gym is the easy part,its the keeping up with the eating thats hard.

mjs1012
04-11-2012, 05:30 AM
My buddy is going through the same thing op. He started 3-4 months ago and has put on some muscle. He was like 140ish now he's at like 165. All he does is eats like its his last meal every 3-4 hours and hits the gym hard everyday.

'WHEELS'
04-11-2012, 12:17 PM
i need some help with rice:

the bag i got says 1 serving is 1/4 cup dry. I made 2 cups last night, and it's ALOT of rice. If i'm doing 1cup of rice per portion, is that one cup AFTER cooking or before? it seems like the rice doubled since cooking lol. Also, if one serving is only 1/4 cup dry, and i'm doing 1 cup per portion, i can multiply the calories per serving by 4 right?

I have started the new routine today, i packed a giant lunch container with all sorts of stuff, I'll update this post with what i've eaten throughout the day.

BREAKFAST:
4 eggs w/ cheese
1 cup yogurt
1 serving of milk
592 calories

SNACK:
1 kashi almond flax bar
1 banana
212 calories

LUNCH:
1 can tuna
2 slices whole grain bread
a little more than 1cup long grain brown rice (measured after cooking)
530 calories

SNACK:
2tbsp peanut butter
1 yogurt
380 calories

180ls1
04-11-2012, 02:09 PM
So I just went to the store and got: milk, more eggs, whole grain bread, tuna, pinto beans, lentil beans, brown rice, kashi almond flax bars, bananas, individually wrapped fresh chicken breast, a crap load of yogurt, and some stuff to help cook all of this.

I think I'm off to a good start :jest:

What yogurt did you get? I only get Fage 0% as most others are loaded with sugar. Read all the labels next time and you will see.

'WHEELS'
04-11-2012, 02:20 PM
What yogurt did you get? I only get Fage 0% as most others are loaded with sugar. Read all the labels next time and you will see.

I just got the store brand. it was like 10/$10 or something.

XtremeBBQ
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
yeh that stuff is packed with sugar, like 30g.
if you want yogurt you need the fat free sugar free kind. trust me, it doesnt taste as good as the flavored ones due to lack of sugar and flavorings.
but if you mix it up with some blueberries and granola its awesome.
i used to buy a lot of it, but its pretty expensive for the amount of protein/cal. pretty much need to eat a half a tub and that'd be like almost 4 bucks. i can buy 2doz eggs for that.

'WHEELS'
04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
yeh that stuff is packed with sugar, like 30g.
if you want yogurt you need the fat free sugar free kind. trust me, it doesnt taste as good as the flavored ones due to lack of sugar and flavorings.
but if you mix it up with some blueberries and granola its awesome.
i used to buy a lot of it, but its pretty expensive for the amount of protein/cal. pretty much need to eat a half a tub and that'd be like almost 4 bucks. i can buy 2doz eggs for that.

Alright, so what's something easy/quick/nutrient packed to eat to replace the yogurt when i finish it all. I have another yogurt in my lunch box for an after lunch snack, so whatever i replace it with needs to be snack worthy :jest:

rice cakes?

XtremeBBQ
04-11-2012, 05:47 PM
almonds.

also, cook/put extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) on everything. its a good way to get good fats and bump up your calories.
i love natural peanut butter as a snack. but its got to be natural. jif and the likes are garbage. look at the ingredients and it should only say peanuts and salt. get those. smuckers natural is good.

180ls1
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
^^^ good call. I also like to mix the yogurt in my oatmeal or cottage cheese with my oatmeal and cinnamon. That way you dont have to deal with the taste of plain yogurt. If you like to cook there are some pretty good recipies online of home made cookies and protein bars that you back at home with eggs, whey, oatmeal and stuff like that.

Im a big fan of sweet potato fires. I bake them with a light coating of egg whites then season with a little onion powder and cumin. They taste great and are good for you, toss them in a bag and snack on them when your hungry. Try a google search.

Speed Density
04-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Rice cakes are good but high GI.

Again, look at your CARBOHYDRATES & PROTEIN each meal, rather than calories.

Yogurts, eh. Those are tasty in the a.m but other than that I'd spend $10 elsewhere. They have simple carbs, so its not filling glycogen storage in muscles but rather spiking insulin and being digested.

As for your rice situation:

I get the small Mahhatta bags of rice, its like $1.80 or something. Heat up 5 1/2 cups water and dump the bag in, makes like 6 cups rice.

XtremeBBQ
04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
SD have you ever done keto or PSMF? i did a 3wk PSMF run and after i got off i rarely crave carbs. carb intake is around 30-100g a day now, usually just pre and post WO meals.

'WHEELS'
04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I thought I was aiming for 3200calories per day? Tomorrow ill do the same thing and record all nutrient intake.

GTOSE
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
Tried making sweet potatoe fries, reminded myself how shitty I am at cooking.

Speed Density
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM
SD have you ever done keto or PSMF? i did a 3wk PSMF run and after i got off i rarely crave carbs. carb intake is around 30-100g a day now, usually just pre and post WO meals.

I never did keto, I've heard of it though. I did mostly LIIT for my cardio in contest prep, my body responded pretty well. Next go around I'll do a shorter cut and more HIIT.

throttlejunkie1
04-14-2012, 04:13 AM

This website has a huge wealth of knowledge, facts, pics and videos. I don't post on there often at all (because of all the online badasses over there lol) but when I wanna figure something new out, I'll go search it, mainly in the nutrition section. Since Jan 1st, I've been hooked! Went from 5'11" 206lbs down to 182lbs and I'm still just as motivated as the day I started! The gym is the easy/fun part...it's what you do in the kitchen, and sticking with it, that matters the most.