Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me choose a shortblock???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a shortblock???

I am currently in Afghanistan, so I have plenty of time to try and make an informed decision on which route to go with my build and I would like to know what your guys opinions are as far as forged shortblocks go. I am going to be buying either a E46 M3 or a G35 or some other reliable form of reliable daily driver when I get home, so the T/A will become strictly a toy.

The current setup is stock cubed motor with AFR 205s, FAST 90/90, and a mild cam. I liked the idea of keeping my block and going the 383 route and having my AFRs and FAST ported and polished, so I checked around with some of the more highly recommended companies and the shortblock would cost roughly 4-5k depending on the place.

But considering the fact that the prices of brand new shortblocks from TSP are even cheaper than that, I figured why not go with the extra displacement? So now I have way more options ranging from aluminum or iron blocks, and from 402ci to 429ci all within a relatively similar price range with the options that I am looking at.

There is a wealth of knowledge out there, so give me some suggestions and any personal experiences with your setups or anything else you guys think will be helpful.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all comes down to budget. Nothing wrong with a 383 and reusing your block. I personally go with bigger heads. Heads are where you really make your power. Go with with as big cubes as you can afford. 408's seem to be best buget and power capability.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

408. I few sponsors told me that LS3/LS7 strokers have not been the most durable and persuaded me to go iron 408.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if there is no issues or problems with your running ls1 engine. sell the short block and use that cash to help pay for the new engine. i prefer the 6.0 iron block based builds. im a firm believer that the stock crank, and block are very capable of some serious power n/a. those heads you have now will def work on any motor you choose.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silver408z
It all comes down to budget. Nothing wrong with a 383 and reusing your block. I personally go with bigger heads. Heads are where you really make your power. Go with with as big cubes as you can afford. 408's seem to be best buget and power capability.

I would be willing to to spend the 4-5 thousand for the 383, but why not go with more displacement if you can get more displacement with the same quality forged internals brand new for roughly the same price ranging from 402 to 429ci from TSP. With more displacement I will be going with a new topend. I am thinking of getting with Tony Mamo and having him work over a new set of size appropriate AFR and FAST for whatever shortblock I end up getting.

What Im debating over is aluminum vs iron block, and what stroke. Im getting mixed reviews on going over a 4.00" stroke. I hear that there is too much travel and causes excess wear and tear, but then again I am hearing that most of those issuse are being worked out for this reason or that.

Originally Posted by JC70SS
408. I few sponsors told me that LS3/LS7 strokers have not been the most durable and persuaded me to go iron 408.
I take it thats the route you are planning? If so, who are you planning on using for the build. I'm not deadset on TSP, I have just heard great things about them, but I'm open to all opinions

Originally Posted by NemeSS
if there is no issues or problems with your running ls1 engine. sell the short block and use that cash to help pay for the new engine. i prefer the 6.0 iron block based builds. im a firm believer that the stock crank, and block are very capable of some serious power n/a. those heads you have now will def work on any motor you choose.
The rings are shot on my current setup, but I will be parting it out to offset the cost of the new build.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I had TSP. I will receive the longblock this Monday. My only complaint was when I sent my money over a month ago they said about 2 weeks to get it. I did go iron 408 with LS3 topend.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Launching!

I had TSP. I will receive the longblock this Monday. My only complaint was when I sent my money over a month ago they said about 2 weeks to get it. I did go iron 408 with LS3 topend.
I just realized your car was SOM. Now I definitely can't copy you and go with a 408 lol

What is your setup if you don't mind my asking? And what are your goals as far as power levels or times go if you plan on taking it to the strip?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Iron 408's are the way to go IMO. Depending on what you spend, it may not be worth it to use your block. To machine your block alone your looking at a good $600-900 depending on where you are at. On top of that you have about $2600+ into a forged rotating assembly and the labor to assemble...

Here is a good option without breaking the bank:

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=SP26
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What sponsors said that?

I might understand an Ls7 and FI applications. But an Ls3 or stroker 416/418/427/429's have been know to make good power and reliable given it has all supporting mods and of course an excellent tune.

Sorry but I'm gonna call BS on that one.

To the OP I would go with an ls3 stock cubes or a stroker 416 etc. combined with Ls3 heads and you'll be within your budget for a bad azz combo.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Scroll through these and support a sponsor here instead.

http://sdparts.com/category/crate-en...-blocks?page=1
Old 04-12-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by geoffreymexico
I just realized your car was SOM. Now I definitely can't copy you and go with a 408 lol

What is your setup if you don't mind my asking? And what are your goals as far as power levels or times go if you plan on taking it to the strip?
My setup will be 408 LQ9 about 12:1 compression. CNC LS3 head, 238/244 cam on 112, LS3 intake. I will be using longtube 1 3/4 inch headers for now. I hope to get around 480rwhp. I don't go to the track.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Notalent
Iron 408's are the way to go IMO. Depending on what you spend, it may not be worth it to use your block. To machine your block alone your looking at a good $600-900 depending on where you are at. On top of that you have about $2600+ into a forged rotating assembly and the labor to assemble...

Here is a good option without breaking the bank:

http://high-performance-engines.com/...duct_Code=SP26

Yeah I agree. The plan is to go with a new shortblock because I will be spending as much on doing a 383 as I would going with more displacement.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by litle88
What sponsors said that?

I might understand an Ls7 and FI applications. But an Ls3 or stroker 416/418/427/429's have been know to make good power and reliable given it has all supporting mods and of course an excellent tune.

Sorry but I'm gonna call BS on that one.

To the OP I would go with an ls3 stock cubes or a stroker 416 etc. combined with Ls3 heads and you'll be within your budget for a bad azz combo.
I believe what he was referring to are the blocks that use a 4.125" stroke. I have been reading that they have reliability issues due to the piston traveling so far down into the bottom of the cylinder.

And I'm pretty sure I have my topend planned out Im just trying to check with people and their experiences with any of these motors
Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Launching!

My setup will be 408 LQ9 about 12:1 compression. CNC LS3 head, 238/244 cam on 112, LS3 intake. I will be using longtube 1 3/4 inch headers for now. I hope to get around 480rwhp. I don't go to the track.
Well good luck with your build man. Make sure and post up your results for the rest of us.

What rotating assembly did you go with? Any plans of spraying later on down the road?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

callies compstar with wiseco pistons.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55 PM
Launching!

callies compstar with wiseco pistons.
Those are the internals I will most likely be going with. The shops I talked to said they should be good for the power levels I'm looking for.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by geoffreymexico
I believe what he was referring to are the blocks that use a 4.125" stroke. I have been reading that they have reliability issues due to the piston traveling so far down into the bottom of the cylinder.

And I'm pretty sure I have my topend planned out Im just trying to check with people and their experiences with any of these motors
That's bad info, the piston manufacturers have revised them and are no longer an issue. Granted that long of stroke is not for the Fi or nazz crowd so why not an Ls3/L98 with a 4.0 inch stroke for 416? And you can have a nice dependable mill? Eagle sells a set so does Scoggin and TSP. I'd look into that for weight purposes. Also AES has a 427 6.0 iron stroker that is badass too just call Fraser and he'll give you the real scoop. Don't listen to some of these cats here most just repeat crap that's been posted by others and have not really experienced anything like this before. Just my .2

You see my question hasn't been answered.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Launching!

That's bad info, the piston manufacturers have revised them and are no longer an issue. Granted that long of stroke is not for the Fi or nazz crowd so why not an Ls3/L98 with a 4.0 inch stroke for 416? And you can have a nice dependable mill? Eagle sells a set so does Scoggin and TSP. I'd look into that for weight purposes. Also AES has a 427 6.0 iron stroker that is badass too just call Fraser and he'll give you the real scoop. Don't listen to some of these cats here most just repeat crap that's been posted by others and have not really experienced anything like this before. Just my .2

You see my question hasn't been answered.
Thanks for the insight man. This will be a NA build with no intentions of spraying, but I am not opposed to it down the road.

Thanks for the tip on AES I have been looking up some of their stuff, and I am very impressed so far. I really like the 427 iron stroker they make. I emailed him so hopefully I will have a little more info here soon.

Do you know of anyone that has gone that route or any build threads I could look through for more info???
Old 04-13-2012, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Habla con Fraser el te dice the numbers his customers have put down with that combo. Nice thing about that is you can go Ls3 topend.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Habla con Fraser el te dice the numbers his customers have put down with that combo. Nice thing about that is you can go Ls3 topend.
Alright Ill do that, and the gameplan as of now is AFRs and FAST 102 probably

Quick Reply: Help me choose a shortblock???