Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Two shops turned me down? WHY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two shops turned me down? WHY?

I went to two shops yesterday to try and get my car inspected. First one I go to ignores me even being there, I speak up and ask "when would you be able to do an inspection?", guy anwsers without looking at me, "not till late next week, if that..." Just gave me the get the hell out of here vibe. I shook it off and thanked him, walked away. Next one I go to same thing, walk up, guy comes out of his office, ask if I could get an inspection done. He looks at me and says he "isnt taking on any new customers", really? Both places didnt even look at the car besides what it was, a stock looking 99 ss with bolt ons, no tint, good tires, what gives? Im new to the area and havent even drove my car around, let alone go tearing up the streets so its not like I have a reputaion or anything, they dont know me. Sorry for the long rant, had to get it out, lol.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

It might help if you add where you're located.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

What state....
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, new hampshire. Rochester area.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
TECH Resident

state inspections can be tough. they keep a VERY close eye on us here in nj. i get people all the time that try to bring me a car that they know would fail if they took it to the state.....so they come here thinking it'll pass because they pay here. generally as soon as i explain to them that if it fails at the state, it'll fail with me, they either leave, or ask if i can "overlook" a few things. i can't, and don't.....it's not worth it.

that said, if you were in nj, and passable, i'd get it done for ya. 'specially since it's a hot rod.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, new hampshire. Rochester area.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1ltcap
state inspections can be tough. they keep a VERY close eye on us here in nj. i get people all the time that try to bring me a car that they know would fail if they took it to the state.....so they come here thinking it'll pass because they pay here. generally as soon as i explain to them that if it fails at the state, it'll fail with me, they either leave, or ask if i can "overlook" a few things. i can't, and don't.....it's not worth it.

that said, if you were in nj, and passable, i'd get it done for ya. 'specially since it's a hot rod.
I understand this, car really isnt that loud and I could always claim aftermarket was added after the fact, only thing that wont pass is the ory. Im bummed out, dont want to buy a $500 catted y-pipe you know? Im going to keep asking around, once it goes into the system as "failed" im pretty much ......meh, oh well.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"we don't like your kind around here" - south park

seriously though, maybe they had other modded cars come & by experience they know not to bother.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on what i read here I would pass on you as well. You may not be aware but there are cases where the state sends people who pose as regular people to see if there is any fraud.

In CT its a big issue and even taking off a CAT in their garage, if they dont put one back in, its a Felony. Only exception is a "Test Pipe" which to see if the CAT had broken down on the inside....

I ran into MANY issues when I wanted to take my CAT out of the 1994 z28 to see if the car improved. Ended up doing it with a buddy but many owners rather see you walk then get in trouble.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
"we don't like your kind around here" - south park

seriously though, maybe they had other modded cars come & by experience they know not to bother.
This is how I felt.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Where they around the car when it was running/you pulled into the station? They might have smelled the fact that you have no cats and didn't even bother to go any further knowing you wouldn't pass. Or they saw that it was a performance car and they don't want to bother with those types.

I would just go somewhere else, there are plenty of places that will take new customers. Although I still don't know how many places will pass a car that undoubtedly stinks of gasoline.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by redtan
Where they around the car when it was running/you pulled into the station? They might have smelled the fact that you have no cats and didn't even bother to go any further knowing you wouldn't pass. Or they saw that it was a performance car and they don't want to bother with those types.

I would just go somewhere else, there are plenty of places that will take new customers. Although I still don't know how many places will pass a car that undoubtedly stinks of gasoline.
It smells bad but aleast it has no rust and good tires. Trust me you should see some of the cars these places sticker (yes I know for a fact they have stickered many car/trucks that should not be on the road let alone stickered). I mean ****, my buddys honda got a sticker at,the first shop I went to and wow is that thing rough.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

I guess my question is this........i have slp long tube headers (yes I know), do I buy two high flow cats and weld them in? Are there any catted y-pipes that will fit the slp headers? Do I try and put on the "fake me out" cats on it. What is my best bet?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Having items installed on your vehicle prior to your purchase does not allow it to "pass". A LEO doesn't care if it was "on the car when I purchased it". Neither does a shop. When you begin ownership it's in your hands to get your car legal. No cats = fail. Gone are the days of lick'em and stick'em.

I would definitely try to find an X or Y setup with cats. I'm no expert on what ones will/won't fit with your setup though.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It smells bad
There you go, that's probably why. And as far as no rust and other cars looking rough...exterior quality is in no way a determining factor in passing emmisions inspection. A smelly car with not cats but looks amazing is not the same as an emmissions legal one with rusty body and no paint.

Don't bother with the fake cats, those won't do squat. You didn't get turned down because of visually lacking cats, you got turned down because of smell. Adding fake cats is not going to kill the smell.

Either get a custom y pipe done with real cats that you can put on for inspection, or go around to different places until you find one that will take you. Though if your car reaks of gas like you say, I doubt anyone will pass you.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm....where I live you need to make an appointment for an inspection. Am I overlooking something here? Might not have anything to do with your car
Old 04-12-2012, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Based on what i read here I would pass on you as well. You may not be aware but there are cases where the state sends people who pose as regular people to see if there is any fraud.

In CT its a big issue and even taking off a CAT in their garage, if they dont put one back in, its a Felony. Only exception is a "Test Pipe" which to see if the CAT had broken down on the inside....

I ran into MANY issues when I wanted to take my CAT out of the 1994 z28 to see if the car improved. Ended up doing it with a buddy but many owners rather see you walk then get in trouble.
THAt's one thing i never overlook....cats. that said, i don't....nor does anyone.....need a "test pipe" to see if a cat's broken inside. all you need to do, is disconnect the inlet, and fire her up. if the car now starts, and runs decent(although loud), then the cat's bad.

here in nj, those state people are easily spotted. almost always a blown headlight, missing or bad gascap, and a cut wire to the obd2 connector.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

I asked my grandfather about that shop we went to. Apparently he really isnt taking on any new customers. He now only stickers his own cars and his close friends cars. He got in big trouble a few months ago and they threatened to take his license.

Your car will pass emissions no problem. Its just the visual that you need to worry about. Its nice to know certain people. I'll try and hook you up with that other shop we talked about.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by brians91formula
I asked my grandfather about that shop we went to. Apparently he really isnt taking on any new customers. He now only stickers his own cars and his close friends cars. He got in big trouble a few months ago and they threatened to take his license.

Your car will pass emissions no problem. Its just the visual that you need to worry about. Its nice to know certain people. I'll try and hook you up with that other shop we talked about.
Yeah I guess I figured as much with that guy, looked like it might have been the case, must have smelled me a mile away, lol. Whatever its not t-top weather yet but the I need to get it done soon I guess. Got my buddys f150 infront of the garage with the front end tore apart so as soon at that gets thrown back together im gonna try again, thanks for the help brian, I appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to threadjack but I'm also in NH, Manchester area. would be nice to meet up once I get my car back together.

also, I have slp lts, they sell a kit with high flow cats and a y. should just bolt in.