Racer's Lounge - So much for economies of scale. Big box stores are a rip off.

X-ray
04-12-2012, 10:36 PM
According to economies of scale, the bigger a retailer is, the more purchasing power they have, the cheaper they get their products, and some of the savings should get passed on to you. Ha!

We found a local lumber supply place that has cheaper prices on everything, even though it's a very small place. For a Broco Supply pre-hung knotty pine door, Home Depot wants $200. The exact same door, the local store wants $130. Baseboard 70 cents a foot HD, 30 cents a foot local place. They've got a bunch of other stuff that is marked way below the big retailers.

There's another local store that is a TrueValue store. I bought a 20lb bag of Scott's Penn State grass seed mix for $50. Home Depot and Lowe's were both charging $70 for the same thing.

Milk is what, close to $4 a gallon? I can go to the farmer behind me and buy raw milk for $2.50 a gallon (this is legal in PA, some states it is not). He's got about 80 cows and is extremely clean. The barn is right next to the little building where the milk is sold, and you can't even smell the cows.

Anyone else find out that a lot of the smaller places are cheaper than the massive retailers?

Gaunt
04-12-2012, 10:40 PM
According to economies of scale, the bigger a retailer is, the more purchasing power they have, the cheaper they get their products, and some of the savings should get passed on to you. Ha!

We found a local lumber supply place that has cheaper prices on everything, even though it's a very small place. For a Broco Supply pre-hung knotty pine door, Home Depot wants $200. The exact same door, the local store wants $130. Baseboard 70 cents a foot HD, 30 cents a foot local place. They've got a bunch of other stuff that is marked way below the big retailers.

There's another local store that is a TrueValue store. I bought a 20lb bag of Scott's Penn State grass seed mix for $50. Home Depot and Lowe's were both charging $70 for the same thing.

Milk is what, close to $4 a gallon? I can go to the farmer behind me and buy raw milk for $2.50 a gallon (this is legal in PA, some states it is not). He's got about 80 cows and is extremely clean. The barn is right next to the little building where the milk is sold, and you can't even smell the cows.

Anyone else find out that a lot of the smaller places are cheaper than the massive retailers?

I feel like you are forgetting there is overhead that small businesses don't have to worry about. Not saying it makes up that whole discrepancy, but it does account for some.

jattgunman
04-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Small business' have overhead as well, trust me. For whatever reason people always assume that a small business has higher prices on everything which is far from the truth. We own a Hardware store and when we compare our prices to home depot or lowes our prices are on point or lower than them almost all of the time. But people come in with a preconceived notion which has no basis or validity but remain adamant in their convictions.

slackerr26
04-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Hard to find prices lower than at walmart depending on what you're looking for.

infinitebird
04-13-2012, 01:27 AM
Yes walmart is cheap, but that's because they cut corners on everything. All of their store brand stuff is crap, they only have like one person manning a checkout line except on black friday, their stores are dirty, their carts never work or always have one wheel broken, etc.

01ssreda4
04-13-2012, 02:04 AM
Damn I hate broken shopping cart wheels :bang: I get stuck with one every time.

fucter
04-13-2012, 05:43 AM
In the long run, no money is saved by going to a big box store. The money doesn't stay local,it goes to investors in the corporation. Also, yeah, the price perception is a myth, they keep things like milk and bleach cheap, but everything else can vary widely. Produce OS the biggest rip off, canned goods tend to be cheaper at big box stores.

myk
04-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Yes walmart is cheap, but that's because they cut corners on everything. All of their store brand stuff is crap, they only have like one person manning a checkout line except on black friday, their stores are dirty, their carts never work or always have one wheel broken, etc.

AAAnd they just got rid of the greeters. Well, they got rid of them at my local ones, anyway...

wav3form
04-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Small business' have overhead as well, trust me. For whatever reason people always assume that a small business has higher prices on everything which is far from the truth. We own a Hardware store and when we compare our prices to home depot or lowes our prices are on point or lower than them almost all of the time. But people come in with a preconceived notion which has no basis or validity but remain adamant in their convictions.

I like supporting local businesses but my problem isn't the prices it's the selection. The local small biz hardware store in my town never has what I'm looking for unless it's something generic and it's always some old guy that doesn't know jack shit trying to help you out. All they ever tell me is they don't have this, they don't have that... FFS, I'll just go to Lowes and make it easy on myself.

luvmeZ28
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Its all about convenience. Price leadership is important too, but big box has selection and diversity on its side. Im all about going to walmart for groceries, and while im there I can get most car care products, lawn care, and the cheapest ammo in town. Lowes is the same way. I can have 2-3 projects going on at the house and 99% of the time one trip to lowes has me covered. Its better than spending half a day running around in traffic. And the prices are hard to beat, even so, its gonna take slot more than a few pennies or even a buck or two to get me chasing deals around at the smaller places.

luvmeZ28
04-13-2012, 01:48 PM
And pay attention to the "savings" at grocery stores. Mom and pop places, even kroger, albertsons, ect will have a few core items, such as milk, eggs, ect that they are willing to lose money on to have the best prices. And they also run sales on high margin things like produce, to get you in there to spend your money. Little do you know that almost everything else in that place is 20 to even 40% more than what you would spend in a walmart. They bait you in with the deals, and hope you spend money on other things, because you're there, and its convenient.

mcG
04-13-2012, 01:49 PM
^ yep it's become more about convenience in today's world. people go to lowe's or HD since there's probably several of them within a few minute drive, and they can get everything they need at one place.

i will say though, no matter how much cheaper wal-mart may be, i absolutely refuse to shop at the ones near me, based on the clientele that they bring in and the people that work there.

TheBlueKnight
04-13-2012, 01:51 PM

Dang your Walmart must be crappy. We have 5 Walmarts in our area. The two right by me are really clean and nice. There are usually well staffed and you can get in and out in minutes.

Just on a side note I do shop at smaller places like True Value. I don't care in most cases what their prices are, I want to give them my business. And even if their paint or something is a dollar more expensive than Home Depot or Lowes, I'm not gonna drive 8 miles to Home Depot to save a dollar.

Jon5212
04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
I'll buy raw milk once a few stores around me get it. And I'll buy it whether the "gubmint" says I can or can't. :)

GREGG 97Z
04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Stores will often sell some products at a net loss just to draw you into their store in hopes of getting you to buy other items, possibly not priced so well. These items they sell at a loss are called 'loss leaders' in retail. These small hardware stores are probably trying to undercut lowes & HD on select items to get you to try their store. Marketing tricks ;)

wav3form
04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Dang your Walmart must be crappy. We have 5 Walmarts in our area. The two right by me are really clean and nice. There are usually well staffed and you can get in and out in minutes.

Just on a side note I do shop at smaller places like True Value. I don't care in most cases what their prices are, I want to give them my business. And even if their paint or something is a dollar more expensive than Home Depot or Lowes, I'm not gonna drive 8 miles to Home Depot to save a dollar.

I like True Value, they have a good selection and you can actually get some help if you need it.

wav3form
04-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Stores will often sell some products at a net loss just to draw you into their store in hopes of getting you to buy other items, possibly not priced so well. These items they sell at a loss are called 'loss leaders' in retail. These small hardware stores are probably trying to undercut lowes & HD on select items to get you to try their store. Marketing tricks ;)

Only problem is that people like me will buy the loss leader and nothing else. :D

'00_Z
04-13-2012, 07:40 PM
I have a True Value right down the street and they are priced higher than Home Depot on just about everything. Back in MI I used to go to ACO Hardware all the time because of the prices. From what I see it depends on the market demographics and the franchise.

wav3form
04-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I have a True Value right down the street and they are priced higher than Home Depot on just about everything. Back in MI I used to go to ACO Hardware all the time because of the prices. From what I see it depends on the market demographics and the franchise.

True dat; it's a your mileage may vary kind of thing with most of these spots.

hugger1975
04-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Grrrrr can't quote on fone view.

Anyway, to who said they store brands are crap: many many store brands are rebranded brand name.

Ie: meijer, jewel, wally, etc milk is......deans.
That's right, the over piced deans label is in the basic lookin jug.

Happens a lot.

luvmeZ28
04-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Walmart "great value" and sams club "members mark"(and all the other names are mostly top/name brand, relabeled. Like sams club paper/plasticware products are pretty much all Dixie brand. The food is the same way.

AronZ28
04-14-2012, 01:15 AM
The closest wal-mart to me is like 10 miles away, totally inconvient for me to go to that craphole. When I lived near a wal-mart I refused to go in there for fear of a runaway buggy smashing into my car. The buggy returns were always overflowing and there were just random carts in the middle of the parking lot, just waiting for a gust of wind to send them into my car.

_JB_
04-14-2012, 03:29 AM
The closest wal-mart to me is like 10 miles away, totally inconvient for me to go to that craphole. When I lived near a wal-mart I refused to go in there for fear of a runaway buggy smashing into my car. The buggy returns were always overflowing and there were just random carts in the middle of the parking lot, just waiting for a gust of wind to send them into my car.

Lol a buggy. I didn't know wtf that was when I moved to FL.

wav3form
04-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Lol a buggy. I didn't know wtf that was when I moved to FL.

LOL same here. I moved to VA a while ago and we call them carts up in NY.

supernova1972
04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I hate Walmart and always try to shop at the local Marsh grocery store, but Walmart is always considerably cheaper than any competition. I'll pay extra not to deal with Walmart though.

1995blacktattop
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
this pretty much sums up my opinion of walmart. I hate dealing with the people at walmart, i'd much rather go to publix for my groceries, and target for the other walmart type stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKv6RcXa2UI

camaross0002
04-15-2012, 02:34 AM
Always try to shop the mom and pop joints regardless of living in chicago,il. Rather spend a few bucks at a mom and pops and for those that think that true value is a mom and pop think again. A mom and pop store is a store that is named after them or something you have never heard of wake the hell up. The reason mom and pops can't carry a selection that you want is because they don't know wtf you want since so few people shop there they try to carry what they think you need. If you want true AMERICAN products to come back shop at the mom and pops shops and let them know wtf you need so they can carry it instead of guessing. If you want cheap imitation for shit shop at the big boxes. Lets bring our money back to America instead of overseas to dictatorships.

defaultexistence
04-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Ace is not the place ... If you truly value your money . They are high as fuck, and all our walnuts are pristine .

NewCar
04-15-2012, 02:26 PM
This goes both ways. Plenty of things at small stores are more $ than at big stores.

AronZ28
04-15-2012, 10:32 PM
Ace is not the place ... If you truly value your money . They are high as fuck, and all our walnuts are pristine .

Oh I quit going to my local ace since they close at 5:00pm, even on weekends. It don't get dark in the summer till almost 9:00. And I agree that their prices are high.

BTW my walnuts are pristine too, just finished trimming them up.