Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Let's talk valvetrain

I'm about to start some service to my combo. Currently this combo has 80k miles on it. I have nothing goin on that would make me suspect worn valve seals so I'm thinking just some fresh springs will do. I'm also thinking about finally doin the rocker trunion upgrade while its getting springs. My stock rockers have lived for 180k miles so far.

Now its been a while since I have looked into springs, rockers or anything else valvetrain related. And I'm sure some advancements have come along in springs since 3-4yrs ago when I put this combo on.

I have been happy with the Patriot Gold Duals I have on there now, cant complain about getting 80k from a set of aftermarket springs. But I'm seeing for my current cam guys are running beehive springs. My question is should I just grab another new Patriot kit or look at goin down to a single spring like the beehives with stock retainers/seats? Would I have any advantage HP wise in changing the springs? Cam lift is only .581" on this cam so its not radical by any means

I see the PAC1518 spring set is cheaper at Scriggin & rated to .650" lift. Could those be used with the seats/retainers/locks currently installed from the Patriot kit so all I'd have to replace is just springs only or would I need to source some stock seats/retainers/locks for the PAC1518's? Also does anyone sell just the Patriot springs not in the full kit for any cheaper? And has anyone had anymore issues with the Trunion upgrade? I know a few have had issues, have those been resolved now?
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Single beehive springs would work for your setup, but they use the stock retainers, locks, and seals. I think the Patriot retainers, locks, and seals are different. Honestly, I would just buy new 16 Patriot springs and call it a day ($8 a piece from Patriot direct). The Patriot retainers are titanium (at least mine are) and you don't have to worry about whether the parts are interchangeable. If I were you, I'd definitely do the trunion upgrade to the rockers while you're in there.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well being able to get those at $8 a piece from Patriot makes that route alot more affordable for sure. Even cheaper than the beehive option.

Have all the comp trunion upgrade issues been resolved? I havent done much searching honestly to find out so I figured I'd just ask. I know a few had snap ring failures & I believe a couple also had bearing failures in them as well.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just upgraded to Comp valve-train kit. Dual springs (.650 lift max) on a cam with .568/.574 lift and used comp's trunion LS1 upgrade as well. If the patriots worked for ya, then go back to those. I just listed this as another option.

Quick Reply: Let's talk valvetrain