Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Axle Repair Bearing for 2002 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle Repair Bearing for 2002 Trans Am

My brother has an 02 TA WS6 Convertible, Auto with Traction Control. I heard some noise that sounded like a bad wheel bearing and when I pulled the axles I found that there was some damage to the Drivers Side Axle. It is not severe damage, so I don't think the axle strength is compromised much, but I can't use a stock bearing that would ride on the area where the damage is.

I would like to install a "Repair Bearing", if I can. I have had them in my 12 bolt Chevy Rear for years, and they seem to work fine in it, but when I looked up a repair bearing at RockAuto.com it says in the comments, "may not work with traction control".

Has anybody installed a repair bearing in a 4th Gen, LS powered, F-body, with traction control.

If so, where did you get the part and what is the brand and part #.

Is we have to replace the axle, anyone know where to get the best deal on one?

The car has < 40,000 miles on it. Any idea why the bearing/axle would go bad so quickly.

Thanks, Joel
Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

the repair bearing might interfere with the reluctor/tone ring on the axle itself with a 4 channel rear end.

i havent installed any in an Fbody but the repair bearings generally sit about 7mm out from the axle tube, so if there is 7mm or more from the axle tube to the reluctor ring then you should be ok. BTW, any part store in town should have them in stock.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply!

I assumed the repair bearing would stick out further, but did not know how much. It is helpful to know that it will stick out about 7mm further than stock as this will allow me to measure the amount of clearance I have before ordering/attempting install.

I only tried one local place, AutoZone, and they said they do not carry a Repair Bearing for the car.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of God, do not install a repair/saver bearing.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ted-equal.html

One of many threads on these bearings being pure hell. I've heard people having to cut out there C-clips, some leaking immediately after install, etc... I myself fell for these on my old V6, lasted half mile before leakage and then complete destruction of my axle.

Found one of my old threads: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ing-questions&
Old 04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

It may be that some of these bearings/seals are junk, but I don't think they all are.

I have had them(don't recall the brand) on a 70 Chevelle 12 Bolt Rear for 15-20 years. Zero leaks or other issues with them.

Whether it will fit on an 02 TA W/Traction Control is a seperate issue.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Joelwk
It may be that some of these bearings/seals are junk, but I don't think they all are.

I have had them(don't recall the brand) on a 70 Chevelle 12 Bolt Rear for 15-20 years. Zero leaks or other issues with them.

Whether it will fit on an 02 TA W/Traction Control is a seperate issue.
It will with force. And when the bearing fails you'll have to cut out the C-clips.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...l-c-clips.html

I'm only trying to save you from the hassle of what I and many other people have experienced. Its easy to find many threads on many brands failing within the first 1000 miles. Many almost immediately.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Launching!

i too had this happen, i ended buying a used good condition axle and went with oe style wheel bearing and seal. i used a repair bearing and it made it about 100ft before the cage failed. btw the timken cage was made of ******* plastic, yes plastic, in a wheel bearing!!! WTF!

Last edited by 01M6TA; 04-15-2012 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Joe I. (03-20-2023)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Default 2002 Camaro Rear Axel Bearings

The little ss I just got was making a racket, and I took it to my friends shop. They pulled the axels. Bearing surface was all chewed up. They replaced the bearings, and they sent the axels out and had them welded up and then turned down. It's a place that does axels all the time. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, as I don't have any expertise here. I just know replacing an axel can be expensive. Please bear with me as I learn to use this website! Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Another vote to stay the hell away from repair bearings. My 10 bolt is in the **** pile due to them combined with my ignorance.

I have a set of 4ch axles, no reluctors, 28k miles for sale, $120 shipped, off an 02 camaro.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:23 PM
Teching In

Default Repair bearing

Thanks for the reply!

I assumed the repair bearing would stick out further, but did not know how much. It is helpful to know that it will stick out about 7mm further than stock as this will allow me to measure the amount of clearance I have before ordering/attempting install.

I only tried one local place, AutoZone, and they said they do not carry a Repair Bearing for the car.
Were you ever able to locate a repair bearing that would work with your traction control?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Teching In

I DID NOT find a repair bearing that would work and ended up buying a new axle and stock bearing from Rockauto.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I located a donor in a wrecking yard. Bought both shafts (to have a spare) and installed new bearing. No issues.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I DID NOT find a repair bearing that would work and ended up buying a new axle and stock bearing from Rockauto.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I was hoping I could do a quick fix before taking a trip. After your reply I decided to take a different car and fix the TA the right way. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Axle Repair Bearing for 2002 Trans Am