Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Spectre efi tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Spectre efi tank

Took my tank out last year and put in one of the Buick GN tanks w/Walbro pump. It solved the problem of dieing while going around corners low on fuel, but wasn't the easiest to fill and hung a little low.....Got a wild hair and decided to try the Spectre POS tank again, this time I put the walbro pump in, drilled four more 3/8" holes in the sump,and then welded a divider plate running front to rear between the sump and the filler neck. It seems to work now, NO fuel starvation, with as much as 3-4 gals of gas in it and doing circles in the school parking lot as fast as I can......YEEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!

Rick
Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you by chance take any pics?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Yeah, and pics of the tank also...lol
Old 04-14-2012, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

Which walbro pump did you use?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

is this an older or newer tank? i read the have redone them
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is an older tank, and no I didn't take any pics, I wished I had. Before I even put the tank in (the first tym)I was concerned about having that problem so I had a sheet metal buddy weld in a divider IN the sump tub. But it still didn't help. So, Im not sure if its the new pump or the divider helping keep the fuel closer to the sump. Just glad it all works now.....
Rick.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Don't remember, got it from Summit. Walbro 255, think it fit alot of V8 chevy's.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

There really isn't much difference between the old tank and new one. Just an extra baffle splitting the bowl or "sump." That being said I haven't had any issues with my newer one. I also used a walbro and described it's installation in the yeah or neah thread.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by futureuser
There really isn't much difference between the old tank and new one. Just an extra baffle splitting the bowl or "sump." That being said I haven't had any issues with my newer one. I also used a walbro and described it's installation in the yeah or neah thread.
I am interested, what is the yeah or neah thread?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ay-nay-13.html
Old 04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Dumb question. Ive had issues with my homemade sumped 71 a body tank. What are everybody thoughts on a double tiered sump? Im thinking about adding a lower sump under my existing sump. Drill another 4 or 6 two inch holes into my sump and just welding up another level underneath. Fuel would drop down into 2 isolated chambers. Dont think it would ever be able to slosh out!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Futureuser, you said you had trouble fitting your Walbro pump into the spectre tank! I took the one out of the GN tank and put it right into the spectre tanks sending unit setup. I didn't have any touble at all....hmmmmmm!

Again, the troubles were only when going around corners with 1/3 of tank or less!
Rick
Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
I think The one I used was GCA758-2 from Summit....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by flywheel
Futureuser, you said you had trouble fitting your Walbro pump into the spectre tank! I took the one out of the GN tank and put it right into the spectre tanks sending unit setup. I didn't have any touble at all....hmmmmmm!

Again, the troubles were only when going around corners with 1/3 of tank or less!
Rick
I don't see you posting details of your pump swap. I showed pictures, part numbers and the problems I ran into. There are more than one Walbro 255. Can you share with the rest of us which part # pump and sock you used so the the rest won't run into the minor issues I did?

No doubt there are far better tanks than the spectre, but my set up does not starve, below 1/3 tank, and I have yet to see a car at the track with a rick's tank.

Last edited by futureuser; 04-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by futureuser
I don't see you posting details of your pump swap. I showed pictures, part numbers and the problems I ran into. There are more than one Walbro 255. Can you share with the rest of us which part # pump and sock you used so the the rest won't run into the minor issues I did?

No doubt there are far better tanks than the spectre, but my set up does not starve, below 1/3 tank, and I have yet to see a car at the track with a rick's tank.
Hey, I didn't mean anything mean about your post, After re looking at your picks I can see yours was alot different than the one I used, I just wondered why yours seemed like it was so much more work than mine, I didn't look at the pics that close when I skimed over the post. Sorry, but I don't take alot of pics and keep alot of details on the stuff i do.
Rick
Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's some shots of the changes I made inside of my Spectra tank... I had to pull the tank again cause the fuel sending unit went out...The first one is the baffle I put in running front to rear, the second one is inside the sump tank, 3rd is the top cuts in the tank, 4th,5th are shots of the walbro pump.
Hopes this helps someone....
Rick
Attached Thumbnails My Spectre efi tank-inside-efi-tank-baffle.jpg   My Spectre efi tank-inside-sump-baffle.jpg   My Spectre efi tank-top-efi-tank-cut.jpg   My Spectre efi tank-walbro-pump-2.jpg   My Spectre efi tank-walbro-pump.jpg  

Old 05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems with yours. Thanks for posting up the pics.

Quick Reply: My Spectre efi tank