View Full Version : Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?

mac62989
04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Like the title says, Im wondering if any sponsors in the NE have any experience intalling a maggie on an LS1 F-body? While I was pretty set on H/C/I, I have this infatuation with Maggies and Whipple.. Looking at Hawks Third Gens kit which I think might be the only one left for sale these days. A 1/4" drop of the K-member and some cowl trimming is needed to fit the blower. Just wondering if any of the guys near me have installed any in the past, thanks.

-Matt

MyFirstLS1
04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
There's a guy down here in jersey that has had it done at a shop. I'm trying to meet up with him myself and get some info on what was done so I can do it myself.

mac62989
04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
If you find out what shop installed it, let me know.

kyoytey1693
04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
If you feel comfortable doing a heads and cam swap then I assure you that you can handle a maggie install. Trust me. Save the $1000.00 or more that a shop would charge for an install and do it yourself. You might want a little more spacer than just 1/4". Beyond that you just need a cut off wheel and a mig welder. And one of those can be rented if you dont own one.

Theres enough of us on here that have done the maggie install that we can talk you through it.

Good luck!

mac62989
04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
^Well I wasnt gonna do the Heads/cam either. It doesnt look like it would be too hard but then again Ive never done it. I have to look up some of your old threads..

Slowhawk
04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
It's a blower bolted on top of a motor with minor fabrication work. Not hard for any shop that can customize.

I personally would not recommend the tiny Magnacharger 112 on any car though. It's simply limited by the blower size. I have yet to dyno one over 500rwhp here, that is even with head/cam cars. The TVS 2300 is a different story but won't fit an F-body unless your willing to lose the winsheild wipers.

The centrificals fit easier and can put out alot more power before being limited by space ect.

mac62989
04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
It's a blower bolted on top of a motor with minor fabrication work. Not hard for any shop that can customize.

I personally would not recommend the tiny Magnacharger 112 on any car though. It's simply limited by the blower size. I have yet to dyno one over 500rwhp here, that is even with head/cam cars. The TVS 2300 is a different story but won't fit an F-body unless your willing to lose the winsheild wipers.

The centrificals fit easier and can put out alot more power before being limited by space ect.

Thanks for chiming in, you would be my shop of choice. Thats surprising that even with H/C their not breaking 500rwhp. I know say a Procharger would have more potential and higher numbers. Car would be stock bottom end for now though. I like the idea of the twin screw having all that low end torque. Just something I am thinking about though. The kits only $1,000 more than my H/C/I of choice though. Thats why the idea re-entered my mind..

kyoytey1693
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM

Are you 100% on the fact that you would have to lose the wipers? Have you guys actually tried it? I've really been thinking about this and from the blueprints that Magnuson sent me, the dimensions are very similar between the 112 and the 2300. I'm not questioning you, I'm just wondering if that statement was fact or opinion.

I also find it strange that you haven't seen a 112 hit over 500 rwhp. Mine is at 463/546 with stock heads and cam. Have you run different pulleys on them. I know mine came with the wrong one and I had to swap it out for a smaller one.

Slowhawk
04-16-2012, 07:31 AM
Are you 100% on the fact that you would have to lose the wipers? Have you guys actually tried it? I've really been thinking about this and from the blueprints that Magnuson sent me, the dimensions are very similar between the 112 and the 2300. I'm not questioning you, I'm just wondering if that statement was fact or opinion.

I also find it strange that you haven't seen a 112 hit over 500 rwhp. Mine is at 463/546 with stock heads and cam. Have you run different pulleys on them. I know mine came with the wrong one and I had to swap it out for a smaller one.

Try it and let us know.

I'm not a fan at all of spacing the k-member and have measured the 2300 in hand.

500hp on my dyno which you CAN NOT fudge the #'s with a high timing " DYNO" pull.

Yes, you can boost it to the max.cool the blower and do I "magic" run but the next run drops alot from heat.

Stock motor has nothing to do with it. Have a D1 car infront of me that makes 520hp/480tq on a 100% stock motor with the only bolt ons headers and blower.

We do alot of stock motors with the addition of cam,blower,headers and methenol making 600-700rwhp for years. Not really scared of the stock motors.

Come to our open house next saturday and see all the cars.

BlackScreaminMachine
04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Just listen to Slowhawk as he is right the heat soak will factor in the long run.

I have met Mac and had a opportunity to help out with a header in stall and with all due respect he will not be able to do it himself. Has the space but no tools so definitly one of those "bring it to a sponsor deals."

Surprise his father did not shit a chicken yet. He made me feel bad that it was not going to be stock any more... wonder if he got on board with the project?

mac62989
04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Just listen to Slowhawk as he is right the heat soak will factor in the long run.

I have met Mac and had a opportunity to help out with a header in stall and with all due respect he will not be able to do it himself. Has the space but no tools so definitly one of those "bring it to a sponsor deals."

Surprise his father did not shit a chicken yet. He made me feel bad that it was not going to be stock any more... wonder if he got on board with the project?

My father is a purist indeed. We actually got it all bolted up the following weekend. I honestly have a lot of the tools after our Saturday adventure but with either H/C/I or Boost I dont think Id make the long trip without the tune.. I actually see Prochargers for about $500 more than an all out AFR setup and $500 less than a Maggie now..

mac62989
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Stock motor has nothing to do with it. Have a D1 car infront of me that makes 520hp/480tq on a 100% stock motor with the only bolt ons headers and blower.

We do alot of stock motors with the addition of cam,blower,headers and methenol making 600-700rwhp for years. Not really scared of the stock motors.

How much boost is this car making? I really dont want to have the bottom end shit the bed on me but those numbers are on par with my goals and I have full bolt-ons already..

BlackScreaminMachine
04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
My father is a purist indeed. We actually got it all bolted up the following weekend. I honestly have a lot of the tools after our Saturday adventure but with either H/C/I or Boost I dont think Id make the long trip without the tune.. I actually see Prochargers for about $500 more than an all out AFR setup and $500 less than a Maggie now..

Yea, tools are important, I wished I packed mine up and I did not... if I did we would not have ran into the delay we did. I was a little pissed at myself. One of those "should know better" things.

The car would be fine on tune as you would just drive it, and not get into the throttle. All the way to the shop. The car wont care.

Frans96SS
04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
If you find out what shop installed it, let me know.

I agree it shouldnt be too hard for any shop to install

subarubill96
04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
what you trying to do with the car? looking for dyno numbers, track time, etc...
like its been mentioned the maggie is a intake heater when you try to make "real" power. Id go with a D1 procharger or maybe a turbo setup...if you want some FI info, shoot me a PM...

mac62989
04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
what you trying to do with the car? looking for dyno numbers, track time, etc...
like its been mentioned the maggie is a intake heater when you try to make "real" power. Id go with a D1 procharger or maybe a turbo setup...if you want some FI info, shoot me a PM...

Well I guess technically none of the above. Not interested in track times or dyno numbers really. The car is a fun street toy that wont see the track. I guess if anything you can say I have numbers Id like to reach in mind but I wouldnt be heart broken any particular setup fell short. The think with twin screws that always attracted me was the instant low end torque, sounds really fun for a street setup that Ill never revv the piss out of..

02gangsta/ss
04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Well I guess technically none of the above. Not interested in track times or dyno numbers really. The car is a fun street toy that wont see the track. I guess if anything you can say I have numbers Id like to reach in mind but I wouldnt be heart broken any particular setup fell short. The think with twin screws that always attracted me was the instant low end torque, sounds really fun for a street setup that Ill never revv the piss out of..

if your really looking into some type of supercharger go with the procharger D1sc i just had one installed on my car last year and love it . and with the increased numbers from the procharger vs twin screw your really not gonna have to rev the shit out of it ...the power will be right there trust me. my car is an 02 ss ls1 thats putting down 575rwhp and 535 ft lbs tq with stock everything except for headers and exhaust and meth injection don at slowhawk tuned it for me and the guy knows what he is talking about. and also i hope there is a 9 inch or some other built rear end with wht your talking about ...just things to consider if you want low end torque

mac62989
04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
if your really looking into some type of supercharger go with the procharger D1sc i just had one installed on my car last year and love it . and with the increased numbers from the procharger vs twin screw your really not gonna have to rev the shit out of it ...the power will be right there trust me. my car is an 02 ss ls1 thats putting down 575rwhp and 535 ft lbs tq with stock everything except for headers and exhaust and meth injection don at slowhawk tuned it for me and the guy knows what he is talking about. and also i hope there is a 9 inch or some other built rear end with wht your talking about ...just things to consider if you want low end torque

Good to hear and ya one big factor with boost over H/C/I, that extra money for a new rear and possibly a meth kit..

02gangsta/ss
04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
youre gonna wanna do meth injection at the same time as the supercharger

The Alchemist
04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Another vote for a procharger. As for the 'instant' low end torque argument, all that does is spin the tires and eat up tires. The procharger is nice because it is very reliable, can make more power than your shortblock can handle, and, in my opinion, sounds phenominal.

mac62989
04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Another vote for a procharger. As for the 'instant' low end torque argument, all that does is spin the tires and eat up tires. The procharger is nice because it is very reliable, can make more power than your shortblock can handle, and, in my opinion, sounds phenominal.

I just got done reading one of your old threads. You were looking for the same thing as I am now. Very rarely revving over 4,000, fun street driving with nice twisties. Everyone was suggesting a twin screw setup, what made you go with procharger later down the road?

BlackScreaminMachine
04-17-2012, 06:46 AM
I just got done reading one of your old threads. You were looking for the same thing as I am now. Very rarely revving over 4,000, fun street driving with nice twisties. Everyone was suggesting a twin screw setup, what made you go with procharger later down the road?

Let me guess either they own mustangs or actually dont even owne a car with a twin screw.

The Alchemist
04-17-2012, 07:35 AM

I love the procharger on back roads, and will so even more when I drop back down to 3.42s and put some stickier tires on it.

The mid range torque is almost too much for the street right now because as I roll into the throttle enough to close the bypass valve, it's like hitting a shot of nitrous at part throttle. First and second gear are useless, but third gear is a lot of fun. It's plenty of power from 2500-5500 without worrying about pushing it too hard or winding out the motor.

I liked the Procharger because it's a proven platform and a lot of the complaints and shortcomings have been ironed out specifically belt slip, popping airboxes etc. It was also an easy install that I was able to do myself in my own garage at my leasure. To go with a twin screw just didn't appeal to me since it really hasn't been done that often on a 4th gen so the resources or assitance isn't really there. The nice thing about the procharger is if by chance one day I get bored of the D1, I can use almost everything I have and step up to an F1, and there's a large market for used D1's.

Slowhawk
04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
You don't install a maggie for twisties. It has an on/off switch pretty much when the bypass closes.

What do you think beats a motor more? The hard hit down low or the gradual hit?

You just need to show up this saturday and you'll see every combo first hand. Some of the customers have both types of setups on different cars they own.

mac62989
04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Let me guess either they own mustangs or actually dont even owne a car with a twin screw.

Im pretty sure they were F-body owners but I doubt any of them had Maggies. They were just telling Alchemist Maggie>Procharger

I love the procharger on back roads, and will so even more when I drop back down to 3.42s and put some stickier tires on it.

The mid range torque is almost too much for the street right now because as I roll into the throttle enough to close the bypass valve, it's like hitting a shot of nitrous at part throttle. First and second gear are useless, but third gear is a lot of fun. It's plenty of power from 2500-5500 without worrying about pushing it too hard or winding out the motor.

I liked the Procharger because it's a proven platform and a lot of the complaints and shortcomings have been ironed out specifically belt slip, popping airboxes etc. It was also an easy install that I was able to do myself in my own garage at my leasure. To go with a twin screw just didn't appeal to me since it really hasn't been done that often on a 4th gen so the resources or assitance isn't really there. The nice thing about the procharger is if by chance one day I get bored of the D1, I can use almost everything I have and step up to an F1, and there's a large market for used D1's.

You make great points. Glad to hear from someone with experience with H/C and now H/C and boost.

You don't install a maggie for twisties. It has an on/off switch pretty much when the bypass closes.

What do you think beats a motor more? The hard hit down low or the gradual hit?

You just need to show up this saturday and you'll see every combo first hand. Some of the customers have both types of setups on different cars they own.

Again something I never thought about. The gradual boost has to be much easier on the motor. Unfortunately Im stuck working and couldnt get off..

The Alchemist
04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Think about it this way. Say right now your car makes 350rwtq at 3500 rpm, with a procharger, you might see 1-3psi at that rpm which would add another 40-50 rwtq (just throwing a number out there), but with a twin screw, it's going to hit it with almost full boost pressure, which is another 100-200 ft/lbs of torque depending on how much boost you're running.

I love the way my setup was running on back roads. I rarely saw more than 60-70% throttle, and rarely went over 4500rpm on my to and from work, which is 90% of when I drive my car. With that, I would see between 3-5psi in those ranges at that throttle and it was more than responsive. The procharger was the best mod I ever did, hands down.

subarubill96
04-17-2012, 06:35 PM

well in that case, id go with a D1 procharger. Simple to setup and the least work to maintain.. Also, a maggie isnt a twin screw so youd be looking at a Kenne bell or Whipple if you want a twin screw. Personally, get a D1 setup with an aster bracket, go front mount or A2W right off the bat, proper fuel system and tune and enjoy. The centri blowers are much kinder to your tires and powertrain compared to the torque hit any roots/twin screw makes.
Another option might be a stroker engine....good power with less stuff than a FI setup. All a numbers and what you can live with type of deal.

subarubill96
04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
one of the best ways i find to make up my mind about stuff like this is to actually sit in and go for a ride in the different setups your interested in. Throw out a thread asking, most people will be glad to show you what they got.
While not a LSX based car, if you wanna find out how a roots blower feels, my lightning will show how the little HEaton blower gives it a bit more get up and go... enough to put a grin on my face and a couple bus lengths on a newer camaro SS who happened to think i was a regular F150 lol

RT.66
04-18-2012, 06:56 AM

So are you thinking of selling you're D1 sometime soon? Not meaning to hijack thread, but what would be the cost of a D1 installed?

mac62989
04-19-2012, 09:13 AM
one of the best ways i find to make up my mind about stuff like this is to actually sit in and go for a ride in the different setups your interested in. Throw out a thread asking, most people will be glad to show you what they got.
While not a LSX based car, if you wanna find out how a roots blower feels, my lightning will show how the little HEaton blower gives it a bit more get up and go... enough to put a grin on my face and a couple bus lengths on a newer camaro SS who happened to think i was a regular F150 lol

This is good advice and a great idea. Ill keep this in mind. I know theres enough local guys with different setups.

The Alchemist
04-19-2012, 09:26 AM
So are you thinking of selling you're D1 sometime soon? Not meaning to hijack thread, but what would be the cost of a D1 installed?

Nope, not yet. Before I upgrade to a bigger blower, I want to put a better tire under the car and see how it drives on the street first before I add more power. I was only spinning the blower to ~50,000 rpm so I still have another 12-13,000 rpm to go before I consider upgrading.