Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Question Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?

Like the title says, Im wondering if any sponsors in the NE have any experience intalling a maggie on an LS1 F-body? While I was pretty set on H/C/I, I have this infatuation with Maggies and Whipple.. Looking at Hawks Third Gens kit which I think might be the only one left for sale these days. A 1/4" drop of the K-member and some cowl trimming is needed to fit the blower. Just wondering if any of the guys near me have installed any in the past, thanks.

-Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a guy down here in jersey that has had it done at a shop. I'm trying to meet up with him myself and get some info on what was done so I can do it myself.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Junkie

If you find out what shop installed it, let me know.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you feel comfortable doing a heads and cam swap then I assure you that you can handle a maggie install. Trust me. Save the $1000.00 or more that a shop would charge for an install and do it yourself. You might want a little more spacer than just 1/4". Beyond that you just need a cut off wheel and a mig welder. And one of those can be rented if you dont own one.

Theres enough of us on here that have done the maggie install that we can talk you through it.

Good luck!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

^Well I wasnt gonna do the Heads/cam either. It doesnt look like it would be too hard but then again Ive never done it. I have to look up some of your old threads..
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

It's a blower bolted on top of a motor with minor fabrication work. Not hard for any shop that can customize.

I personally would not recommend the tiny Magnacharger 112 on any car though. It's simply limited by the blower size. I have yet to dyno one over 500rwhp here, that is even with head/cam cars. The TVS 2300 is a different story but won't fit an F-body unless your willing to lose the winsheild wipers.

The centrificals fit easier and can put out alot more power before being limited by space ect.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It's a blower bolted on top of a motor with minor fabrication work. Not hard for any shop that can customize.

I personally would not recommend the tiny Magnacharger 112 on any car though. It's simply limited by the blower size. I have yet to dyno one over 500rwhp here, that is even with head/cam cars. The TVS 2300 is a different story but won't fit an F-body unless your willing to lose the winsheild wipers.

The centrificals fit easier and can put out alot more power before being limited by space ect.
Thanks for chiming in, you would be my shop of choice. Thats surprising that even with H/C their not breaking 500rwhp. I know say a Procharger would have more potential and higher numbers. Car would be stock bottom end for now though. I like the idea of the twin screw having all that low end torque. Just something I am thinking about though. The kits only $1,000 more than my H/C/I of choice though. Thats why the idea re-entered my mind..
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

Are you 100% on the fact that you would have to lose the wipers? Have you guys actually tried it? I've really been thinking about this and from the blueprints that Magnuson sent me, the dimensions are very similar between the 112 and the 2300. I'm not questioning you, I'm just wondering if that statement was fact or opinion.

I also find it strange that you haven't seen a 112 hit over 500 rwhp. Mine is at 463/546 with stock heads and cam. Have you run different pulleys on them. I know mine came with the wrong one and I had to swap it out for a smaller one.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Are you 100% on the fact that you would have to lose the wipers? Have you guys actually tried it? I've really been thinking about this and from the blueprints that Magnuson sent me, the dimensions are very similar between the 112 and the 2300. I'm not questioning you, I'm just wondering if that statement was fact or opinion.

I also find it strange that you haven't seen a 112 hit over 500 rwhp. Mine is at 463/546 with stock heads and cam. Have you run different pulleys on them. I know mine came with the wrong one and I had to swap it out for a smaller one.
Try it and let us know.

I'm not a fan at all of spacing the k-member and have measured the 2300 in hand.

500hp on my dyno which you CAN NOT fudge the #'s with a high timing " DYNO" pull.

Yes, you can boost it to the max.cool the blower and do I "magic" run but the next run drops alot from heat.

Stock motor has nothing to do with it. Have a D1 car infront of me that makes 520hp/480tq on a 100% stock motor with the only bolt ons headers and blower.

We do alot of stock motors with the addition of cam,blower,headers and methenol making 600-700rwhp for years. Not really scared of the stock motors.

Come to our open house next saturday and see all the cars.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just listen to Slowhawk as he is right the heat soak will factor in the long run.

I have met Mac and had a opportunity to help out with a header in stall and with all due respect he will not be able to do it himself. Has the space but no tools so definitly one of those "bring it to a sponsor deals."

Surprise his father did not **** a chicken yet. He made me feel bad that it was not going to be stock any more... wonder if he got on board with the project?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Just listen to Slowhawk as he is right the heat soak will factor in the long run.

I have met Mac and had a opportunity to help out with a header in stall and with all due respect he will not be able to do it himself. Has the space but no tools so definitly one of those "bring it to a sponsor deals."

Surprise his father did not **** a chicken yet. He made me feel bad that it was not going to be stock any more... wonder if he got on board with the project?
My father is a purist indeed. We actually got it all bolted up the following weekend. I honestly have a lot of the tools after our Saturday adventure but with either H/C/I or Boost I dont think Id make the long trip without the tune.. I actually see Prochargers for about $500 more than an all out AFR setup and $500 less than a Maggie now..
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Stock motor has nothing to do with it. Have a D1 car infront of me that makes 520hp/480tq on a 100% stock motor with the only bolt ons headers and blower.

We do alot of stock motors with the addition of cam,blower,headers and methenol making 600-700rwhp for years. Not really scared of the stock motors.
How much boost is this car making? I really dont want to have the bottom end **** the bed on me but those numbers are on par with my goals and I have full bolt-ons already..
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mac62989
My father is a purist indeed. We actually got it all bolted up the following weekend. I honestly have a lot of the tools after our Saturday adventure but with either H/C/I or Boost I dont think Id make the long trip without the tune.. I actually see Prochargers for about $500 more than an all out AFR setup and $500 less than a Maggie now..
Yea, tools are important, I wished I packed mine up and I did not... if I did we would not have ran into the delay we did. I was a little pissed at myself. One of those "should know better" things.

The car would be fine on tune as you would just drive it, and not get into the throttle. All the way to the shop. The car wont care.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you find out what shop installed it, let me know.
I agree it shouldnt be too hard for any shop to install
Old 04-16-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what you trying to do with the car? looking for dyno numbers, track time, etc...
like its been mentioned the maggie is a intake heater when you try to make "real" power. Id go with a D1 procharger or maybe a turbo setup...if you want some FI info, shoot me a PM...
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by subarubill96
what you trying to do with the car? looking for dyno numbers, track time, etc...
like its been mentioned the maggie is a intake heater when you try to make "real" power. Id go with a D1 procharger or maybe a turbo setup...if you want some FI info, shoot me a PM...
Well I guess technically none of the above. Not interested in track times or dyno numbers really. The car is a fun street toy that wont see the track. I guess if anything you can say I have numbers Id like to reach in mind but I wouldnt be heart broken any particular setup fell short. The think with twin screws that always attracted me was the instant low end torque, sounds really fun for a street setup that Ill never revv the **** out of..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Well I guess technically none of the above. Not interested in track times or dyno numbers really. The car is a fun street toy that wont see the track. I guess if anything you can say I have numbers Id like to reach in mind but I wouldnt be heart broken any particular setup fell short. The think with twin screws that always attracted me was the instant low end torque, sounds really fun for a street setup that Ill never revv the **** out of..
if your really looking into some type of supercharger go with the procharger D1sc i just had one installed on my car last year and love it . and with the increased numbers from the procharger vs twin screw your really not gonna have to rev the **** out of it ...the power will be right there trust me. my car is an 02 ss ls1 thats putting down 575rwhp and 535 ft lbs tq with stock everything except for headers and exhaust and meth injection don at slowhawk tuned it for me and the guy knows what he is talking about. and also i hope there is a 9 inch or some other built rear end with wht your talking about ...just things to consider if you want low end torque
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02gangsta/ss
if your really looking into some type of supercharger go with the procharger D1sc i just had one installed on my car last year and love it . and with the increased numbers from the procharger vs twin screw your really not gonna have to rev the **** out of it ...the power will be right there trust me. my car is an 02 ss ls1 thats putting down 575rwhp and 535 ft lbs tq with stock everything except for headers and exhaust and meth injection don at slowhawk tuned it for me and the guy knows what he is talking about. and also i hope there is a 9 inch or some other built rear end with wht your talking about ...just things to consider if you want low end torque
Good to hear and ya one big factor with boost over H/C/I, that extra money for a new rear and possibly a meth kit..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

youre gonna wanna do meth injection at the same time as the supercharger
Old 04-16-2012, 08:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another vote for a procharger. As for the 'instant' low end torque argument, all that does is spin the tires and eat up tires. The procharger is nice because it is very reliable, can make more power than your shortblock can handle, and, in my opinion, sounds phenominal.

Quick Reply: Do any sponsors have experience installing a Maggie on a 4th Gen?