Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Ending Chevrolet Avalanche Production

Chevrolet Avalanche to End its Trendsetting Run

2012-04-13
  • 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche offers unique final-year model
  • Following Avalanche's lead, crew-cab pickups now dominate light-duty segment
DETROIT – The Chevrolet Avalanche, which won buyers with trendsetting design and unique features – and helped launch the boom in crew cab pickups – celebrates its final year in production with the 2013 Black Diamond Avalanche.

Black Diamond Avalanches will feature body-colored bed surrounds, a unique badge on the sail panel, additional features on LS and LT models, and lower prices across the lineup.

"More than 580,000 Avalanches have been sold since its introduction in 2001, and Avalanche has won major awards and recognitions throughout its run," said Mark Clawson, Avalanche marketing manager. "So it is only fitting that Avalanche retires on a high note."

"The Chevrolet Avalanche was one of the earliest forays into re-inventing the traditional pickup truck, said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst, Edmunds.com. "It was a vehicle that maintained the traditional truck image and capability but was more versatile for the person buying it for personal use more than work – a lifestyle truck more than a work truck. Other variations on the theme from competitors followed the Avalanche's debut."

For 2013, a rear camera, rear park assist, power adjustable pedals, fog lamps and remote start will be added as standard equipment on LS models, while LT models have added a standard rear camera. Base prices have been reduced $2,500 (after equipment adjustments) with the 2WD Avalanche LS now starting at $ 35,980, plus $995 dealer freight charge.

"Although Avalanche sales have tapered off in recent years, as crew cabs have grown to dominate Silverado sales, we know there are many Avalanche enthusiasts among Chevy customers," said Clawson. "The Black Diamond Avalanche is our way of saying 'Thank you' and making it just a little more attractive to own one more Avalanche."

Avalanche reshaped the pickup market

When introduced for the 2002 model year, Avalanche offered unique styling and innovative features like a midgate that extended the bed into the cab. Perhaps more important, its overall design proved to be one of those rare ideas that change a segment – a light-duty pickup with comfortable accommodations for five people.

This concept of a well-equipped light-duty pickup that could tow, haul, and carry the family attracted enough interest to generate 93,482 sales in 2003, its third full year of production. Recognizing the appeal of the Avalanche, Chevrolet and other truck makers began developing light-duty crew cab pickups. By 2011, crew cabs accounted for more than 65 percent of light-duty pickup sales, and helped transform the pickup from a workhorse into a true multipurpose family vehicle.

Through it all, Avalanche retained a core of passionate fans who loved its style, comfort, and versatility. Avalanche was named 2002 Motor Trend Truck of the Year upon its introduction, and 2007 Truck of the Year by the Automotive Journalists Association of Canada. Avalanche also has been top choice in a number of consumer publications.

Avalanche at a glance

The Chevrolet Avalanche is one of the industry's more-flexible utility vehicles, combining the passenger-comfort attributes of a SUV with the cargo capability of a truck, thanks to the exclusive Midgate. It opens to extend the cargo-area from 5-foot-3-inch-long (1.6 m) length to 8 feet 2 inches (2.5 m). It is available in LS, LT and LTZ models, with 2WD and 4WD.

Storage compartments alongside the cargo box provide ample and lockable storage with pluggable drains that can be filled with ice and used as coolers.

The Avalanche is based on GM's full-size SUV platform, offering a maximum towing capacity of 8,100 pounds (3,674 kg). It is powered by an efficient combination that includes the Vortec 5.3L V-8 with cylinder-deactivating Active Fuel Management technology and a fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic.

Avalanche also delivers useful technology and comprehensive safety features, including Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity with specific steering wheel controls, standard rear camera system, head curtain side-impact air bags and StabiliTrak electronic stability control. Avalanche offers an integrated brake controller that works with the ABS system to provide immediate and measured brake force signaling to electric-controlled trailer brake systems; there is no requirement for external and/or aftermarket brake control systems.

Avalanche milestones

The Avalanche was introduced at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit as a concept and was described as a no-compromise Chevy Truck with a unique combination of configurable passenger and cargo space. The production Avalanche was positioned as an Ultimate Utility Vehicle (UUV) when it went on sale in 2001 as a 2002 model

A special Avalanche was equipped to protect and transport the Olympic Flame during the Torch Relay prior to the 2002 Olympic Winter Games in Salt Lake City; the relay covered more than 13,500 miles and passed through 46 states on its way to the Olympic Stadium for the Opening Ceremony on Feb. 8, 2002

In addition to receiving Motor Trend's Truck of the Year for 2002, the Avalanche received the Design and Engineering award from Popular Mechanics. Both recognized the vehicle's revolutionary innovation

Chevrolet teamed up with outdoor outfitter North Face and offered a special edition Avalanche in 2002 that was used to transport a team of kayakers through the rugged terrain of the Himalayas to the Tsangpo Gorge in Tibet, where they successfully accomplished first descent of the most-feared whitewater on the planet

In 2006, Chevrolet introduced an all-new Avalanche with a fully boxed frame and redesigned suspension to deliver more refined ride and handling; a new Z71 off-road package was introduced and front featured special off-road tires, unique grille and fascia, an integrated front bumper winch and oversize tow hooks

A 2007 Avalanche was presented to the 2006 Major League Baseball All-Star Game MVP Michael Young of the Texas Rangers

Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Sad to hear. They were really nice trucks.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was a big fan of the Avalanches.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

With the progression of the interior on the Silverado/Sierra crew cabs, I saw this coming. I still love the Avalanche, and hope this drives prices down in the used market so I can pick one up!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z Fury
With the progression of the interior on the Silverado/Sierra crew cabs, I saw this coming. I still love the Avalanche, and hope this drives prices down in the used market so I can pick one up!
same here, I've always loved these. I had a chance to get one a few years ago and passed
Old 04-15-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, the Avalanche was alright but after '07, IMO they really had no purpose because the Silverado/Sierra's became available with so many luxurious options.

Also, I guess they are still keeping the Escalade EXT around? Those are basically the same as the Avalanche, just a little fancier.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So sad, always loved those trucks.

If I wanted to waste money and buy a new vehicle it would have been an Avalanche.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always liked the avalanche. I thoight it was so cool you could convert it into a full size truck bed or leave it as a short bed.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep another fan of the Avalanche. I almost bought an '08 back a few years ago but got such a great deal on my '03 Silverado Z71 that i couldn't pass it up. Kinda regret that
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Several Avalanche fans, but it appears you guys never bought one, which might be part of why GM is ending the run... Simply stated, the Silverado does all it needs to, looks great(now that it's grown on me) and tends to cost less, while lacking about 50 extra pounds of unnecessary plastic.

Never having been a fan of it, all I can say about it's ending is... It's ABOUT time! I've only been in 1, a 2006 I think. It's falling apart but the gal who owns it says, aside from poor economy, she really likes it. Now she's looking for a cheap leather seat... Like that's gonna happen. She let her dog inside and, well, there ya go. She's also waiting to "afford" a new dash cluster, as hers is "whacked out," as she puts it.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Several Avalanche fans, but it appears you guys never bought one, which might be part of why GM is ending the run... Simply stated, the Silverado does all it needs to, looks great(now that it's grown on me) and tends to cost less, while lacking about 50 extra pounds of unnecessary plastic.
I like a lot of cars, but that doesn't mean I can afford a new one. The Silverado/Sierra Crew Cabs can completely replace the Avalanche, and for less money, especially in the used market.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not a fan here. They were ugly as sin.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Dad picked up an 02 with 22k on it last summer. I really enjoy driving it but am a fan of them without the plastic crap on the side. Still not a bad looking rig and he STOLE it from an old lady who wanted to get rid of it after her father passed away.

I have always enjoyed the look of them without the molding and they are very versatile. I will be looking for a full size truck of some sort in the fall and have thought about an Avalanche as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

my parents bought a 03 brand new and still have it , i loved that vehicle , crew cabs were not too popular with 1500 back then , if they even made them, im sure they did . Great vehicle with lots of room , i think it has run its time .
Old 04-17-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

I like a lot of cars, but that doesn't mean I can afford a new one. The Silverado/Sierra Crew Cabs can completely replace the Avalanche, and for less money, especially in the used market.
That's what I said... I'm only surprised it took so long. The Avalanche was clearly overpriced, considering the Silverado exists...

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
I have always enjoyed the look of them without the molding and they are very versatile. I will be looking for a full size truck of some sort in the fall and have thought about an Avalanche as well.
You may be looking at precisely the correct time!

Originally Posted by ramairetransam
crew cabs were not too popular with 1500 back then , if they even made them, im sure they did . Great vehicle with lots of room , i think it has run its time .
Yep... Crewcabs have been available at least since the 1960's... Here's the 1st example I spotted... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42xnNY4U4aA

The above is a 250, not a 1/2 ton, but soon thereafter, 1/2 ton got crew cabs too... by soon, I mean before 1980!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My sisters husband owned a Chevrolet Avalanche and he absolutely loved that vehicle. Kept it well after 200,000 miles until he accidentally went off road and wound up flipping it.

He had a Suburban for awhile after that but eventually went to a Silverado 1500 Texas edition. He loves that truck.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought they were nice looking, and they were really well equiped. Too bad.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
9 Second Club

****! First my Firebird now my Avalanche! Mine's got to be a collector item...LOL
8.1 Liters of fun!....LOL

Pulls stumps and is whisper quiet inside.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always thought they were ugly and hardly "trucks".
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Guitar
Always thought they were ugly and hardly "trucks".
Love your sig BTW..."nice stereo system"...LMAO.........insert tampon....LOL

Although I do have to admit my truck is ugly....however hardly a truck?....I pull 10Klbs with it like nothing. I'm telling you guys the 8.1 liter is a mean ****.

Last edited by chasgiv3; 04-17-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Ending Chevrolet Avalanche Production