Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z06 manifolds on a first gen s10 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z06 manifolds on a first gen s10 swap

Well im in process of scavenging for parts cheap and came across z06 exhaust manifolds for 50 bucks. Figure its worth a try , that and some sort of edelbrock shorty headers i have to research what they are for but they are in my friends shop. I Know the ls1 bird and camaro manifolds suppose to be the only one that works. What i would like to know if anyone tried these and what seem to be the problem and could any arkansas master engineering could possibly make them work ??????

Before anyone screams sanderson or some other sort of 350 dollar hedder arrangement . Im trying to do this on a cheap budget. Not looking to set the world on fire , just trying to run 7.50 in the 8th on a bottle till we decide to get greedy and see what kind of bottle abuse these 4.8s will till take while trying to put it on the bumper . Scored a 400 dollar complete 2000 4.8 , blazer for for 600, gen1 explorer 8.8 for 200 bucks. free mini spool. These motors are no where near like the gen 1 motors I grew up messing with . Im ready for this thing to come together
Old 04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Teching In

seems like the jury is out on this one...
Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I used 1999 trans am manifolds (steel)...they are diffrent than the 2000-2002 . Got them cheap and they worked perfect. Had to cut the three bolt flange off and weld pipe on them with a header collector.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used truck manifolds, I cut the flanges off and welded v-band clamps to the end. I did have to cut the left one twice to get the right angle, but they work awsome. I am mocking up my turbos and welded some pipe the ends of my other truck manifolds and then the t3 flanges to them. you should be able to cut the end off the mani and weld something to the end to help make them fit. Check out my build thread in my sig, I have a bunch of pics that may be helpful. Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be curious to see them fit, like you said everyone says they don't fit. I always read the flanges is were the problem is but hell you have to cut the flanges off on the other manifolds as well. Good luck
Old 04-16-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

I just used the cheap block hugger headers on mine, the shorties...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Teching In

well i got to digging around andthey are actually 2004 gto ls6 manifolds . It toook a day andhalf of researchand bad picture memory to remember what they were since they are in a shop 40 miles away . I been looking at similar builds and most of them require cutting the collector flange off and welding a extension pipe off. that shouldnt be a problem.

When you guys are welding the manifolds do you preheat the manifold up before laying weld to keep from cracking. Ive welded cast iron before ... Didnt look pretty but it did hold.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rsteele
well i got to digging around andthey are actually 2004 gto ls6 manifolds . It toook a day andhalf of researchand bad picture memory to remember what they were since they are in a shop 40 miles away . I been looking at similar builds and most of them require cutting the collector flange off and welding a extension pipe off. that shouldnt be a problem.

When you guys are welding the manifolds do you preheat the manifold up before laying weld to keep from cracking. Ive welded cast iron before ... Didnt look pretty but it did hold.
I welded mine like anything else. Just clean with a grinder to expose new metal. These new manifolds are way easier to weld than older cast. I'm gonna post some pics of my wastegates I installed today. Used a cutoff wheel and welded away.

Quick Reply: z06 manifolds on a first gen s10 swap