Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Please help decide!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help decide!

I am not really sure if this is the right forum to post this in but since it's all forced induction I thought I would try here first. If not, please move it to where it should be.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide on my own on what to do. I am the original owner of a mint 17k mile 2002 Procharged WS6. I have babied this car and everything has been done perfectly. I have been considering selling or trading this car and getting a built C5 Z06, stock C6 Z06 and maybe add a Procharger, or a GT500 with a few mods. I am not really sure of my rwhp goals or ET's but I know I want more than I have now. A few things to consider, I am 6'8" and 290 lbs so I need some room. I don't need back seats so that isn't a consideration.

WS6: If I keep the car, a rear, built engine, and more boost would definitely be in the near future. Probably looking for a reliable 800 rwhp. I have just enough room in this car. If I did sell the car, how much should I sell it for?

C5 Z06: I would be looking for an already built 800 rwhp but I am not sure if I like the looks of the C5 more than the WS6. I also see way more C5 Z06's compared to WS6's. I usually see a C5 Z06 everyday and I am luck if I see a WS6 once a month. I do know the Z06 can handle better and the build quality is great. I think I had enough room but never had the chance to drive one very long.

C6 Z06: I would be limited to 600 rwhp because I could not afford to build a 427 for boost and from what I have read, the 427 is not optimal for boost anyways. I would probably go with a Procharger to get to the 600 rwhp. I don't see that many C6 Z06's running around and I really like the looks of them. Never sat in one so I have no idea of the room.

GT500: I never thought I would consider a Ford but I have to give it to Ford, the GT500 is a great car. I would pulley it and go with supporting mods, not too much though. I think this car has the most room out of all of the above.

So, what would you prefer... a 800 rwhp WS6, 800 rwhp C5 Z06, 600 rwhp C6 Z06, or a 700 rwhp GT500? And why?

Here is the specs on my car...

2002 Black on Black Trans AM WS.6 M6
17k Miles
ATI D-1SC Procharger
SDCE 8 rib tensioner (4.0 pulley)
Kooks 1 7/8 Headers
Magnaflow Cat-Back
small blower cam
918's
blueprinted oil pump
timing chain
Racetronix Walbro twin intank fuel pumps with hobbs switch
Siemens 57# injectors
NGK TR6's
ATI Superdampner
160* Thermostat
Spec stage III ceramic clutch
B&M Ripper shifter
Harlan shift light
Harlan 2-Step
AMW Catch Can
Scanmaster
Autometer Guages

(9 psi @ 6500rpm)
556 rwhp
485 rwtq
Old 04-17-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd keep the WS6, C5's are piles of junk I think besides the styling.... the quality of my 99 Transam surpasses my 99 FRC by 10 fold. On the C5's the weather stripping leaks, body seams leak, grounds corode, electrical componants get wet and goes crazy, column lock bypass issues, Im far from impressed..... My TA can go through a hurricane or the baddest car wash ever and not leak a drop....even w/ T-tops. After purchasing mine.... I read the corvette forums... unless your vette sits in the garage and gets 1 mile a month put on it....a lot of them have the same issues. Not to mention if you want to put any power to the ground replace everything in back.
C6's are straight up ugly I think.

Stick with the WS6 <----my opinion. Like you said... they are actually more rare now.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id keep it and turn up the boost and forge the motor. I am about to go for 800+ on my ws6. I like z06's too, and if I wanted one, I could have it tommorow....but the roads are not forgiving to them at all. The gt500's are way too heavy in my book although built to take the power. I am still waiting on the new one to appear on motortrend to see how its stacks up against zr1. but yeah. if you had to sell it. Id say around 19k. You might actually sell it at that price, but you start running into people who know they are still going to have to forge the motor....etc....and then mileage becomes of no concern. I bought mine for 13k stock with 30k miles on it. blew the motor up by 41k with the addition of a cam and bolt ons and headers....now im in another 10k. if i sell it, even with the stuff I have done its not going to bring very much. which is why I am keeping it....just save the money and have two cars. make that your DD car and make the z06 a weekend warrior. just my $0.02

p.s. if you got vette fever...id wait till the new ones come out, and if you still want an older one...at least get an ls3 that way you dont have to worry about 427s thin cylinder wall issues. nothing I see on the road other than exotics looks better than my ws6. not my opinion. a fact. sounds like you need to do some styling to it....hp evo wheels, tint, corbeau seats, engine dressup, lowering springs if you like....all that will make it seem like a new car. I even dig the splitters they have for the front fascias.

Last edited by I8UR4RD; 04-17-2012 at 03:47 PM.