Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo question?¿?¿

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo question?¿?¿

I'm new to turbos so I don't know much at all but I will be buying either a 99-02 Z28 or SS and I know I want to turbo it and prob do the rear mount set up I was looking at the STS setup they have on there web. Site it is able to handle up to 650 hrs power wich is fine for me bc I dout I'll go above that but it's $8000..... However my friend has an STS t3t4 turbo piping and everything he bought but never used still in the box so he'd sell me that for $500 but my question is arnt those only capable of 400 hrs power? That's not a lot at all for an LS 1... But If I bought his setup could I use all those parts and just upgrade the turbo? Is that a better way to go about it?
Thanks for the help Cody
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...questions.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...questions.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...sts-turbo.html
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 proj
I'm new to turbos so I don't know much at all but I will be buying either a 99-02 Z28 or SS and I know I want to turbo it and prob do the rear mount set up I was looking at the STS setup they have on there web. Site it is able to handle up to 650 hrs power wich is fine for me bc I dout I'll go above that but it's $8000..... However my friend has an STS t3t4 turbo piping and everything he bought but never used still in the box so he'd sell me that for $500 but my question is arnt those only capable of 400 hrs power? That's not a lot at all for an LS 1... But If I bought his setup could I use all those parts and just upgrade the turbo? Is that a better way to go about it?
Thanks for the help Cody
Check out the links put up by Sweet SS. Good info.

I would say, for a starter kit to get you to the 550-600 hp mark, this would be a good deal. You'll still need to run the oil lines and do the intercooler (highly recommended), fuel pump, fuel injectors, and think about doing a methanol/water injection system and a cam swap.

A good "affordable" turbo to get you going would be an On3 T70 Journal bearing turbo. They have had good reviews on the turbo unit themselves. Comparable to Master Power and Magnum Turbos. Should be good for up to 650 hp. Above that, you'll need to redo everythng anyway (Fuel lines, forged bottom, bigger turbo maybe, etc).

Lots of choices. Some prefer rear mount, some prefer front. Some hate rear mount, some hate front.

You might be able to be in "the game" for under $4k when it's all said and done. Not too bad.

As far as going with an SS or Z28, I chose a Z28 because I knew I was going rear mount and would be getting rid of the SLP intake and SLP Exhaust that comes with the SS, so why pay the extra money? Although I do like the looks of the SS hood and spoiler. But to me, this wasn't worth the extra 4-5k it was going to cost me.

Good luck.

Last edited by HRHohio; 05-23-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Teching In

So do you guys think for all the STS piping t3t4 turbo oil pump filter and relays and everything (older but still new in box) for $500 is a good deal?.. I feel like it would save me money and I can just upgrade the turbo I'm not sure however if he has the inter cooler or not...
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

for that price it would save alot of headach not knowing how to do it. and is it a real sts kit not a home made one. because you can make a nice homemade kit with turbonectics turbo for $1200 with everything
Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
for that price it would save alot of headach not knowing how to do it. and is it a real sts kit not a home made one. because you can make a nice homemade kit with turbonectics turbo for $1200 with everything
yes it is a real STS kit he bought it and never used it bc he sold his camaro he got another one but its N/A and daily driver he doesnt wanna make it rediculious he just wants to get rid of it as well s all the other left over parts so he offerd it to me for cheap im just woundering if it will be woth it sense ill be replacing the turbo bc its not very powerful and im not sure if he has the intercooler or not but if not id have to buy that as well but all in all should still be under the $8,000 it costs new...right..?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Teching In

also can anyone forward a link to a good post about methanol/water injection systems... thanks

Quick Reply: Turbo question?¿?¿