LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold question

I've got my intake manifold off my car right now, and I'm taking a dremel to the flange to open the holes up to 58mm for my TPiS throttle body.

Anyways, I stuffed some rags in the plenum to try to keep the bits of aluminum from getting in the various ports and passages. Long story short, there's aluminum everywhere.

I noticed on the underside of the manifold, under the sheet metal cover, there's 5 huge plugs. Looks like I would need a big allen socket to get them out. What are they for, what's underneath them? If I take them out, will I get better access to the ports for the PCV/EGR/IAC systems?

I need to blow out as much of the aluminum as I can, and if possible dip this thing in some kind of cleaner/degreaser because it's filthy. Will removing these five mystery plugs help my cause or should I leave them alone?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
I've got my intake manifold off my car right now, and I'm taking a dremel to the flange to open the holes up to 58mm for my TPiS throttle body.

Anyways, I stuffed some rags in the plenum to try to keep the bits of aluminum from getting in the various ports and passages. Long story short, there's aluminum everywhere.

I noticed on the underside of the manifold, under the sheet metal cover, there's 5 huge plugs. Looks like I would need a big allen socket to get them out. What are they for, what's underneath them? If I take them out, will I get better access to the ports for the PCV/EGR/IAC systems?

I need to blow out as much of the aluminum as I can, and if possible dip this thing in some kind of cleaner/degreaser because it's filthy. Will removing these five mystery plugs help my cause or should I leave them alone?
You can remove the plugs to clean the manifold sure, just put them back in when you're done. They are just casting plugs.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Ok cool, thanks for the info.

I'm guessing its just the EGR, IAC, and PCV passages are under there, right?

I'm probably concerned about nothing, I'll take the plugs out when I go to clean it and see whats going on.