Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to try and spin a 347 hard need input???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking to try and spin a 347 hard need input???

Looking to try and spin a 347 hard need input???

I have a 346ci LS1 SBE with 243castings ported 54CC chamber's on the head's .040 head gasket... looking to now Run forged pistons and good Rod's. stock crank. Swapping to A Super Vic and fast 4br T/B Running E85 and high 12+ to mid 13's compression. What would be the best pistons , Rod's , ??? Looking for other's input. how high should i spin it? not really doing this to make more power but yet make it last longer and if i can more Hp. old setup put down 500 hp with a slick and 4.56 gear at 7000rpm and held flat to 7400rpm. so my rods are on there last leg as it is.

Setup is M6 car with 4.56 gears and a 28 tire and 3200 LBS
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have diamond pistons with Eagle H-beam rods/ with ARP 2000 Rod Bolts.. It isn't the most expensive setup you can get but I think those ARP rod bolts is where you get all the strength from..

Plenty of FI guys running those piston/rod combo's and making 600+
Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

keep in mind longgevity of a high revving RA = less weight.........the less weight you can spin the higher you can spin it and the longer it will last...........if you are sticking with a HR cam there is no reason to expect to see any higher than 7200-7400 if you run very good valvetrain components and design it right......with that in mind a set of compstars and a decent forged piston is all you need...........if its a SR and you want to take it up 8000+ you cant beat a billet i beam like oliver or the crowers even lunati......in that case keep your piston weight down...srp pro series are light and cheap.....shop for a piston in the 38x-42x gram area........lighter the better..........i run a callies lightened crank, oliver billets and srp pro pistons in my LT1 shortblock and im taking it 8000-8200 every pass with no issues at all......
Old 04-19-2012, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
keep in mind longgevity of a high revving RA = less weight.........the less weight you can spin the higher you can spin it and the longer it will last...........if you are sticking with a HR cam there is no reason to expect to see any higher than 7200-7400 if you run very good valvetrain components and design it right......with that in mind a set of compstars and a decent forged piston is all you need...........if its a SR and you want to take it up 8000+ you cant beat a billet i beam like oliver or the crowers even lunati......in that case keep your piston weight down...srp pro series are light and cheap.....shop for a piston in the 38x-42x gram area........lighter the better..........i run a callies lightened crank, oliver billets and srp pro pistons in my LT1 shortblock and im taking it 8000-8200 every pass with no issues at all......
Yes i know the lighter the better. and i know all about valve train and H/D to Solid setup. and only the best springs i have pac's now lifters running morel race link bars now with a hyd cam due to being stock bottom end. really looking nto a solid roller just trying to see how highmost spin them or have. this way i can pick a cam to suit my heads and setup.

So srp makes a good light piston ??? and i may run a baby dome to bring up the compres. checking on them now.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 98blueSScamaro
Yes i know the lighter the better. and i know all about valve train and H/D to Solid setup. and only the best springs i have pac's now lifters running morel race link bars now with a hyd cam due to being stock bottom end. really looking nto a solid roller just trying to see how highmost spin them or have. this way i can pick a cam to suit my heads and setup.

So srp makes a good light piston ??? and i may run a baby dome to bring up the compres. checking on them now.
yes im running an srp 7 cc dome in my LT puts my compression up around 14.7:1 .........and in reality you use good parts 8+rpm is not unheard of
Old 04-19-2012, 03:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik95lt1
yes im running an srp 7 cc dome in my LT puts my compression up around 14.7:1 .........and in reality you use good parts 8+rpm is not unheard of
what CC are the cambers on your heads? I really want to make use of this E85